2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
I have a sibling that I may start lessons with who is legally blind in one eye and the other is highly impaired to the point where he'd have to hold the page up to his face to read.

I will be interviewing him in a couple of weeks to see if he could read from a proper distance at the keyboard with highly magnified music. Otherwise I'll be recording his lessons to send home and teaching him by ear.

Has anyone had blind students or visually impaired students, and what approaches did you take with them?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I have never had a student with that severe visual impairment but a friend of mine, who is a music therapist, once mentioned she used a color code system when she started an V-impaired student. I think she brightly highlighted the notes. Maybe it is a start?

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You might look through pianoperformer's posts, as he is legally blind. He started at least one thread looking for ideas and describing his process of learning music.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
M
OP Offline
M
Mrs A, that's an interesting idea..playing by colors! However, I think that would only last through his elementary levels, but I could be wrong. It's worth a try!

Arghhh, thanks, I'll definitely do a search.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi Morodiene,
Just last week I turned down a request that I teach a blind girl to play piano. The request came from an acquaintance (a special ed teacher who teaches this girl at school)...and she only has a small keyboard. I know they were disappointed, but I wouldn't know how to do a good job.

I thought perhaps someone who teaches by ear might be better suited to teaching her. Or possibly start with Suzuki...using CD's etc. But I don't see how a blind child could progress very far. I'm interested in how it works out...any helpful ideas I could pass on to this special ed teacher.

I taught a blind student last year. He was a transfer student aged 18 so was fairly accomplished. Didn't know quite how to approach it, but was able to take him through Level 6 NYSSMA with Grieg's March of the Dwarfs.

Does your student know Braille? Mine used it a bit for reference. There are only a few people in the country who read musical Braille. I used my own regular copy, and talked him through the whole piece, playing as well so he could hear pretty much measure by measure. He's now in college as a music major.

I have never taught a blind student from the beginning. I would first acclimate the pupil to the geography of the keyboard. Go from the person's strengths, which in a blind person's case is tactile and auditory. Associate the "feel" of a Middle C with it's sound and work out from there.

It's a daunting, but satisfying task.

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Joan, Thanks for your post. This is very helpful, especially about talking a student through the whole piece, playing measure by measure. I may accept the blind child if they cannot find someone who teaches playing by ear. Although, perhaps playing measure by measure IS teaching by ear.

K
K
If I were in that position, I would contact the Southern California Conservatory of Music. They have a Braille division and seem to specialize in this area. Perhaps they would have advice.

Private Teacher
Member MTNA, WMTA, CVMTA
Local Association President
The Achievement Program Center Representative
M
OP Offline
M
I had a blind voice students once, and we discussed the possibility of her learning musical braille, but it seemed to be a lot of work and I didn't think she was interested in learning it. Her mom would type up the words to her music on a braille machine for her, and she would listen to recordings to learn the notes. She had no trouble learning the music this way. I know of course, piano is much more complex note-wise to learn, but it is just a matter of developing his ear training skills.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Karisofia
If I were in that position, I would contact the Southern California Conservatory of Music. They have a Braille division and seem to specialize in this area. Perhaps they would have advice.

I will definitely check this out, thanks! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission