2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
edzio Offline OP
OP Offline
E
pianobroker, thanks for your advice all through this process. I don't mind the finish - there is something familiar about it. If we refinished it wouldn't seem like the piano that we've known all these years. The reason I entertain the idea is that the inside looks so good I feel like we've "short changed" the cabinet. I think once it's in our home we'll be quite pleased with the old familiar look. Besides it still has the decal from where they bought it in Milwaukee in 1935. We wouldn't want to lose that!

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Some of those pictures are art quality photod, You should submit some of them for exhibit somewhere.
Originally Posted by FogVilleLad
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Some of those pictures are art quality....

edzio, I've had travel and sports photos published and did some portait photos for local boxers. Your piano photos are publishable.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. These came out especially good but quite by accident. The light was very low in the shop and one of the workers suggested I use a shop light to brighten things up a bit. The lighting turned out to be quite dramatic.

Just in case anyone is interested, they were taken with a Nikon D70S with an 18-70 AF-S Nikkor DX lens. There is no flash and I used the auto white balance setting. Once downloaded to the computer I sharpened them a bit. That's it. I think the shop light was the hero in this case.

I've never considered having any photos published. I wouldn't know where to begin on something like that. I don't think the photos on Tuesday will be this good, just to warn everybody! ;-)

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I have a frend that has used an amalgamator to restore old original lacquer finishes with reasonable success.

x-rpt
retired ptg member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Edsio,

I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

First of all, think about it is as cabenetry rather than a piano. When you used the term "aligator" I knew immediately that it was a lacquer, rather than, a varnish finish.

Check around and find someone who is skilled with dealing with antique furniture. Those guys know how to restore a finish and not strip it down.

The first step will be cleaning. It will pull all of the "gunk" which has buit up over the years. Then a very meticulous steel wool rub will be employed to knock the edges from the crazing of the finish. It then will be hand rubbed to even out the finish

In it's current condition, it could not be restored to gloss lacquer. That would take a strip and start over approach. But, it could appear to the eye as a satin finish.

In the hands of a skilled furniture pro, it would be hundreds of dollars, as opposed to thousands of dollars for a strip and refinish.

Tuesday will be a delightful event.

Marty in Minnesota
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by edzio
pianobroker, thanks for your advice all through this process. I don't mind the finish - there is something familiar about it. If we refinished it wouldn't seem like the piano that we've known all these years. The reason I entertain the idea is that the inside looks so good I feel like we've "short changed" the cabinet. I think once it's in our home we'll be quite pleased with the old familiar look. Besides it still has the decal from where they bought it in Milwaukee in 1935. We wouldn't want to lose that!

Years ago we had restored a vintage mahogany Sohmer grand very much like your piano. The brother and sister /owners wanted to retain the original "patina" because that is how they remembered the piano when their mother had it years on end. Sentimental value to most in retaining that family heirloom is priceless smile

Last edited by pianobroker; 08/30/09 01:44 PM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
E
edzio Offline OP
OP Offline
E
It's in the house! We're extremely excited. It's nice to see it in the place we made for it over a year ago. Thanks everyone so much for your great advice and encouragement. Now I just need to learn to play it! You may see me over in the adult beginners section sometime soon.

Ed

P.S.: Do you think I should take the cat out on the road?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I would be careful about the cat in the piano. I believe that Monica (who is a frequent poster hereabouts) had an unpleasant experience with her cat in the past year or so. And I've heard allusions to cats having a "tropism" for getting into the case.

We have a cat and so far we've been lucky. He thinks he owns everything else in the house and has no compunction about getting into anything to which he takes a fancy.

Best regards,

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hey, Edzio,

The piano looks great! So do the cats.

Congratulations.

Charles

E
edzio Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by rodmichael
I would be careful about the cat in the piano.

These two cats have never seen a piano before so as soon as the paws touched the keys.... they took off running, puffy tails and all. It was very comical to watch! We do keep the piano closed when they are unattended. We definitely don't want cat hair on those beautifully restored inner workings. smile

K
K
Great looking piano! I've been told that indoor cats tend to have ammonia on their paws (from litter boxes) that can corrode and deaden strings quickly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission