2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1258923 08/30/09 09:55 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
This might seem trivial but I think it's quite important given the amount of time some of us spend sitting down when teaching.

Recently I have been getting a bit of back ache (I'm pushing 40 you know ;)) and I do wonder if it has something to do with the chair I use for teaching. It's nothing special, just a spare dining room chair with no arms and no adjustment and it really isn't that supportive when you are sat in it for up to 4 or 5 hours. The new term starts next week for me and I have decided to treat myself (and my back) to a nice chair for my studio.

What do you guys use and why?

Pianist and piano teacher.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Chris, over in Musicalfossils the teacher mentioned that he sits on a posture ball.

Catchy title, btw. First thought was, "Will he teach the chair, or is it doing the teaching? And what is it that a chair might wish to learn?"

Seriously though: Ball = Chair?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
A posture ball???!!!

I'm sure it's very good for you but I don't think I am quite ready for that kind of thing. I was thinking more along the lines of soft leather, comfort, reclining etc. Maybe even a matching foot stool. grin

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I have never actually tried teaching a chair. Brick walls on the other hand.........!

I tend to have lower back issues, and I find that the best chair for me is a nice straight wooden chair. There was a time when I taught in a studio and was granted access to a cushier leather arm chair -- my back hurt within two days. It was back to the hard chair for me!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You know...this really SHOULD be important considering the am't of time a teacher sits day after day.

How about one of those nice leather office chairs. Can roll forward and back, a place to sit back or up straight, easy on the bottom end, arms that go up or down, comfortable on warm or colder days.

I was like you, a tall side chair or extra bench. I'd do things differently now.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Do you think this might be going a bit too far?

Stressless Chairs

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I'm not taking the job seriously. grin

A bit too pricey anyway. One of those office chairs could be good. I will check them out over te next week.

[Linked Image]

Why not?

To answer the question I have a dinning room table chair, too. I've been tempted to get one of those plastic balls for that and the computer.

Sal_ #1259046 08/30/09 03:04 PM
I had a teaching chair for a while. Too bad it expired after three years.

This is what you get for writing ambiguous thread titles. whome

The problem with ball (which I used to write at the computer) is it encourages bouncing because it is kind of fun to sit on. If you're already rhythmically inclined, you might find yourself bouncing to the beat.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You guys sit down while teaching?

ha, yes sometimes I sit (I have an antique...well, old) wood chair with a padded seat that I use. But most of the time I'm standing or walking around the room.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Stanny #1259093 08/30/09 04:55 PM
M
M
I generally am standing while I teach, with my laptop propped on the piano so I'm facing the student. I decided to stand while teaching after having lower back issues like you, Chris. I have a tall stool I can rest my bum on if I get tired, and of course, I can always sit at the other piano which has a nice padded bench. But for the most part, my back issues go away if I make a point of standing. Maybe stand for every other lesson and see how you feel?

Comfortable shoes are a must smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Took this picture of my chair. One thing I have to have is a comfortable chair. The back gives, so I can bend backwards and think. Have had other chairs, but this one, I won't part with!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Diane...; 08/31/09 12:10 AM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
LVP Offline
The ball chairs are to help you with posture, and are quite a workout for the back...I actually developed a pinched nerve by sitting on one (too much too soon, you are supposed to build up to an eight hour day.) So...don't expect to use one without getting used to it slowly! That being said, I wish I had eased into it more, b/c I did like it!

They do have ones with frames which are easier to get used to because they have a back rest. [Linked Image]

LVP
Charles Walter 1500
Korg SP-170s
LVP #1259406 08/31/09 02:07 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Chris,

This almost seems like a silly topic if you are not in pain.

But I've had the same problem. For me it's all about getting the right thing to sit on (personal) and retraining myself to take care of my back. For me the problem comes from using the computer and teaching, not from playing.

I also find that changing from sitting to standing frequently is very helpful. I don't have two instruments. As I teach, I am almost continuously switching positions with my students. They play, then I get up, sit down and play myself. If I'm only playing for a few seconds, I don't adjust the height, but I always adjust for my students (and teach them how to do it), but if I sit down to play something seriously, I will readjust seating height (for playing).

It all adds up…

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I move around when I teach. I might be standing next to the score to mark something up, or lifting the student's arm when he's ignoring the rests, or sitting at my piano demonstrating a passage, or climbing atop the staircase to observe the student's posture, or listening from the kitchen for an impartial judgment of tone/sound production. Once in a blue moon I'd go to the backyard or out the front door. The different locations give different impressions of sound.

It's really helpful to have a second grand piano in the studio, so you don't have to keep scooting the student.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for the responses. I think I will try something like a computer chair similar to the one Diane uses. Standing could work but my room is very small so I can't really walk around without looking a bit wierd as there's nowhere to go! Other than that I guess I will have to find a good chirpractic clinic nearby.

Like Morodiene, I often stand when I teach or sit on a tall stool. I like the stool because I can have a clear view of what the student is doing, and it's easy for me to lean over and point to something in the music or play along in the upper range of the piano.

I have a keyboard near my grand piano in my home studio, so I can play along with students without "crowding" them. I have the keyboard on a stand that allows me to play either standing up or sitting on my stool. When I teach in the church studio, the piano is a fairly decent Yamaha console, and I set up my keyboard so I can see the music over the student's shoulder while I sit on the stool.

The only problem I'm having is that the folks at the church keep taking my stool and putting it in the kitchen!

Private piano & voice teacher for over 20 years; currently also working as a pipe organist for 3 area churches; sing in a Chicago-area acappella chamber choir
I am at the mercy of my students! (Since I go to their homes) I prefer a kitchen chair.

I try and go do something physical between lessons: like surfing, running or swimming...Sometimes I just go hang out at my favorite coffee shop: Peet's!

M. Katchur
I've always lifted weights -- start a regular routine incorporating strength training for your back and it will do wonders for your teaching and your health.

Highly recommend the book: "The New Rules of Lifting" by Alwyn Cosgrove. It's a no-nonsense approach to training, get in--get out.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission