2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
I just checked out a 50" Schaff Bros. Co. upright. I like the tone but I've never even heard of the company before - does anyone know about their reputation/quality?

The piano will be used for teaching (full-time) and practicing for accompanying so it needs to stand up to some "abuse".

The piano has been tuned every couple of years for the past 12 years, treatment by previous owners unknown. The current owners purchased it 12 years ago from a local company who refurbished it before selling. During the past 12 years it has been used by the children in the family who took lessons for a while.

Simply styled, Mahogany finish case which is in pretty good shape - needs a little work but nothing major. When it was tuned last year the owner was told that the soundboard and frame were in perfect condition - looked fine to me but I'm going to have a technician check the whole thing out.

The price is $1550 CAD
Serial number 29060

My questions to you all...
Advice on this brand - steer clear, grab it, decent?
Pricing?
Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Amanda

P
P
Hi Amanda: Schaff Brothers was one of many hundreds of older piano companies who produced pianos in this country. Our bible, the Pierce Piano Atlas lists the company, but shows no other information. As to the age, if the front legs are round, the piano was likely produced prior to 1910, if they are square and tapered from top to bottom, it was probably made somewhere between 1915 and 1935. As to the quality of this piano, the name isn't going to help much, but close inspection will. Many of these older instruments shared actions, keys, plates, etc, so they will be virtually the same. What is far more important is what has happened over the years, and its present condition. An experienced technician can tell you that. The price is in the ballpark, but remember you may have to pay for moving and tuning after the purchase. You are smart in having it checked out first, as many don't and are sorry afterwards. Good Luck! ....PNO2NER

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission