2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Monica. You know, I just don't do these Einaudi pieces justice. There is so much there that I am not exploring, especially in terms of tempo and dynamics. I am still pretty much in the "bust out the notes best you can" stage. It's arguable that I need to get back in the gym, so to speak, and work on fundamentals for awhile. I spend so much time acquiring the notes, I run out of time making them for making them sound like music.

But yet I do enjoy learning and playing what I do, and I get a sense of accomplishment for reaching the levels I do attain. So I am torn.

For awhile, I toyed with the idea of running Nefeli out there for the next recital, but I think that is out of the question for now. I might do Stella instead, since I already "know" those notes, and it isn't too demanding in terms of tempo and dynamics. And it's short!

Or I might play one of the simple Bach / Kuhlau / Scarlatti pieces that I probably should be playing at this stage in my development.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Glen R.

Time to start preparing my next piece--should be challenging given that we're expecting a baby at the end of September!

Oh, congratulations, Glen!! heart I often miss those new baby days (until I regain my sanity laugh ). There's no more intense time in one's life, I think. Try to enjoy it as much as possible. And please do let us know when the big day arrives. Baby pics would be nice, too.

...and find a nice lullaby to learn for the next recital. That way you can get double benefit. thumb

Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by Glen R.

Time to start preparing my next piece--should be challenging given that we're expecting a baby at the end of September!

Oh, congratulations, Glen!! heart I often miss those new baby days (until I regain my sanity laugh ). There's no more intense time in one's life, I think. Try to enjoy it as much as possible.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. It was great the first time (see my avatar pic!) and I expect it to be again! We've already got the baby clothes back out--wow are they small!
Originally Posted by Monica K.

And please do let us know when the big day arrives. Baby pics would be nice, too.

...and find a nice lullaby to learn for the next recital. That way you can get double benefit. thumb

Yup, I'll post pics. And a lullaby for the next recital would be good, although hardly anyone hears my music--my wife doesn't appreciate scales, and the DP is near the TV, so I just plug in all the time. Kind of nice though, because when she *does* hear me, I've made a lot of progress since the last time.

If I don't do a lullaby, I'm thinking of Pachelbel's Canon in D. One of my favourite pieces.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Kawai ES7
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Peyton, I listened to your Schumann. Well done! My only concerns are that sometimes the accompaniment was a bit too loud, but you held onto the melody. Quieting down the accompaniment will make that easier. smile

Also, take note of the counter-melody in the low register. It generally moves in contrary motion to the top voice. I'd like to hear that brought out a little bit, but not too much. Once again, making the accompaniment quieter will help. Chopin's Op. 15 no. 1 Nocturne that I am working one has even more voices to juggle, so I know how difficult it is. Also, a more distinct "lift" between phrases seems called for. Also hard to do, but I have found that correct phrasing makes all the difference.

Great playing, and thanks for posting!

Last edited by Horowitzian; 08/26/09 10:25 AM.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S
S
Hi all,

A few people had requested the sheet music for the piece I played and before this recital becomes a distant memory for everyone I wanted to make sure that I honored those requests and got the music written out for the few who may be interested. I've posted a PDF version of the music at my box.net account which can be accessed directly from this link:

His Gift PDF File

Here's a link to the song as well, so no one has to go searching for it:

His Gift MP3

Thanks again to all of you who organized the recital, everyone who took the time to listen and provide such wonderful feedback and of course everyone who contributed such great music.

Eric

Yamaha U3 SH2
Roland RD-800
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by setchman
Hi all,

A few people had requested the sheet music for the piece I played and before this recital becomes a distant memory for everyone I wanted to make sure that I honored those requests and got the music written out for the few who may be interested. I've posted a PDF version of the music at my box.net account which can be accessed directly from this link:

His Gift PDF File

Here's a link to the song as well, so no one has to go searching for it:

His Gift MP3

Thanks again to all of you who organized the recital, everyone who took the time to listen and provide such wonderful feedback and of course everyone who contributed such great music.

Eric

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

+1!! Thank YOU, Eric, for YOUR gift of this beautiful music. smile I've printed it out and can't wait to start learning it. smile (And thanks also for including the fingering tips!)

Have I mentioned before that this is an awesome forum?! wink

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
It is beautiful and will make a wonderful project in the near future.
Thank You!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Many thanks Horrowitzian! Very helpful comments indeed. I have already felt an improvement.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No problem! Glad to hear it. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi folks,

I was away on vacation followed by a business trip to Paris (which was really just an extension of my vacation ;)) so I didn't get a chance to listen until now. Thanks everyone for joining another great recital! You people are what makes the ABF so special. I hope the wonderful music from this recital inspires others to send in their recordings for the November recital. smile

On to the comments:

01. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Prelude in F# Major Op.33 No.7
A very nice way to start the 15th recital! Lush is indeed the word to describe it. An unknown piece indeed, but that's what is cool about these recitals: we get to hear a lot of new music. Well done!

02. Mr Super-hunky - London Blue
I like it! It's not the sound that we are familiar with from you and that is nice. You definitely did more than just play the notes; there is plenty of you in this recording.

03. EJR (Elwyn) - Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Awake, the Voice commands) BWV 645
No recital without Bach! I like how you track the amount of time you spent studying this piece on your website. You're very dedicated! I suppose Bach's music is a good match for such a methodical mind. Well done!

04. mahlzeit - Recital 15
Dude, you should really buy a decent software piano or fix the recording issue with your soundcard, he he.

05. Sam Smith - Traumerei
Nice piece. I enjoyed listening to it!

06. TrueBeginner - Solitude
Beautiful! Isn't music a wonderful way to express these kinds of feelings? It goes much deeper than just words. You did good.

07. Peyton - From Foreign Lands and People
This is sort of different for you, no self-composed song? Not that it matters, this was great too. Really enjoyed it!

08. DragonPianoPlayer - Serenade
Can't give you much technical feedback, other than that I enjoyed your recording. The Galaxy II piano sounds nice too!

09. HomeInMyShoes - Songs Without Words, Op. 19, No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song)
Beautiful! It really is an adorable piece and you play it very delicately. I wish it were longer. Oh well, I guess I'll have to put it on repeat!

10. pianahman / Richard - Sinfonia No. 11 in G minor (BWV 797)
Can't go wrong with Bach! I enjoyed it very much. I can't give much technical feedback because I'm not an expert on classical music but I *am* an expert on what I like and this I like!

11. Riddler (Ed) - Take Five
I should really get Band-In-A-Box too because I'd like to make some of those recordings. Which version do you have, because there are like ten thousand options to choose from? Anyway, nice playing -- 5/4 must be tricky!

12. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Baby Mine
Nice, mellow, laidback piece. You may not be very happy with the recording, but I bet that most of us here are happy that you submitted it anyway. Well done!

13. Schubertian - 'Raindrop' Prelude (Op 28 #15)
Nice story; no matter what reason Chopin had for composing this, he did a great job. So did you, I enjoyed listening to it!

14. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Dear You
Not bad for a first take! In fact, very good for a first take. You did well!

15. Ken. - Cavalry Gallop, Op. 27, No. 29
A refreshing change from the mellowness of the other submissions. Not that there is anything wrong with mellowness, but a "gallop" once in a while is fun too! I liked it!

16. Ten Left Thumbs - Joe's Jump
Yeah, swing it baby! I guess all those left thumbs came in handy for the bass line. :-) Keep on swinging!

17. Euphonatrix - 2-part invention #14 in Bb Major
Interesting about Bach and the number 14. His music always sounded to me as very mathematical in nature, although I'm not a Bach expert nor a mathematician. ;-) Never mind all that, I enjoyed your playing!

18. Serge88 - Don't Know Why
Serge, you keep improving with every recital. I'm glad you're still with us here in the ABF! The video was enjoyable too!

19. AnthonyB - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
No recital without Einaudi! And with video... I can tell you had fun doing this. Wonderful playing too!

20. z32/Ben - Kiss the Rain
Can't go wrong with Yiruma in an ABF Recital! I don't know about your summer goals for getting better, but this sounds pretty good to me already. Maybe a little too much reverb on the recording, but definitely enjoyable nonetheless. You played it with a wonderful touch, almost as if you were afraid of breaking it. I like that.

21. Waltz - Canon in D (Variations)
Very well done for someone with less than one year of experience! Also, nice tie! ;-)

22. setchman - Eric Krueger - His Gift
Wow! Wonderful composition, wonderful playing, wonderful sound. I really really enjoyed this. Awesome! I suppose you don't quite qualify as a "beginner", but I'm glad you decided to join the recital!

23. bluekeys - Misty
"Look at me..." I love playing Misty too. Play it like you feel it! I really enjoyed your recording!

24. Eighty8 - Love Is Here To Stay
I don't know this particular tune, but I do like old tunes like this. Thanks for playing it!

25. Copper - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Another unknown tune for me. I enjoyed your recording, Copper!

26. JohnFrank - MInuet in A Minor
Nice minuet! I don't think I know it but it does sound familiar somehow. Nice playing!

27. grotrianer - Intermezzo 118/2
Hey, I really enjoyed this. You put a lot of expression into this piece. Well done!

28. ddh - Daniel - Prelude, opus 28 no 6
Congratulations on reaching your milestone. This may be your first Chopin, but hopefully not your last! I liked it!

29. IPIBAHN Sandy - Prelude in E minor
Ah, what a wonderful Chopin piece, it sounds so melancholic. I enjoyed your recording!

30. rustyfingers - Maple Leaf Rag
Can't have a recital without a Joplin rag! You did well!

31. Carl Mc - Amazing Grace
Nothing wrong with adding some of your own improvisation to a tune. I'd say: do more of it! Your Amazing Grace is completely different from pianonewb's, and that's what makes this recital so much fun. Same tune, way different arrangements and recordings. Next time maybe try making the recording a little longer, because I'd love to hear more!

32. jotur - Cathy Turner - Cabri Waltz
Cute little waltz, indeed! I liked it!

33. pianonewb - Amazing Grace
When you first started singing I thought: "Yikes, wrong key," but after that your voice grew on me and I really enjoyed the recording. (Although it still might not hurt to try the song a few half-steps higher or lower.) I find it very hard to play anything but simple chords and sing at the same time, so kudos there, especially after only 4 months! Glad to have you in the recital!

34. dalcyonir - Debussy-Clair De Lune
This is another recital standard! I can't really give much technical feedback, but I did enjoy your -- very laidback -- recording!

35. steveMac / Steve Mclean - Minuet BWV 114
You are very brave to submit a piece after only playing for 3 months, and one that you admit is above your current level. But that is of course how we learn quickest: by attempting things that we cannot yet do. And you know what: you did very well! I have no idea where those "rumored" mistakes are! ;-)

36. Bunneh (Daniel) - D. Scarlatti - Sonata K.32 L.423
Isn't that the point, that every performer sounds different? I'd much rather have you sound like you than like someone else. You did very well, especially for twelve months!

37. Euan Morrison - Truman Sleeps
It is a sweet little piece indeed, and that is exactly how you played it. Well done!

38. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 Mike White - Chopin Waltz Op 64. No. 2
Chopin is always a big favorite in the recitals, and good for us because his music is awesome! No need to apologize, because you did a wonderful job with it! I know how it goes that some pieces start to wear out, but give it some time and I'm sure you'll be able to play it even better after a little break.

39. Monica K. - Melodia Africana III
Hey Monica, didn't know you had a YouTube channel. Pretty cool! As always you did a great job with Einaudi, even the wicked fast part!

40. Glen R. - Minuet in G Major (No. 2)
Too advanced or not, it sounded good to me!

41. GregF - Not Mad at the World Anymore
Nice, but a little short! You should have played it twice! ;-)

42. Jazzwee - Very Early
Interesting choice. I would have liked to hear more! Maybe on your next recital submission. ;-)

43. praisehimau, Stephanie - Prelude In C Minor, wtc Book II
The effect on the sound makes it sound more like an organ than a piano, but then again that sounds Bach very well. You did good!

44. WJ3 - Minuet in G Major/Minor De Capo
It's nice to hear the companion piece to the Minuet in G Major. Had never heard it before, but it is really pretty. Well played!

45. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - I've Got You Under My Skin
So when can we buy your CD, Buck? You must have enough awesome tracks in your fingers by now to put together an album of standards. Wonderful arrangement with lots of little details as always. I wish I had your patience to work on pieces until they are these perfect little gems.

46. tekkie - Cavatina
Ah, so that is what that tune is called. I love it! You did very well. Small tip: pay attention to your sustain pedal a little more. You often keep it down for too long and tones start to run into each other, and sometimes you let go of it too soon. Regardless of that, I very much enjoyed your recording. Another tune that I should go and learn!

47. GreenRain - Venetian Gondola Song (Op. 30 No. 6)
I don't know what Mendelssohn was thinking when he wrote this, but it must have been storming in Venice that day -- or maybe that's just because of how you played it (I don't really know how it's "supposed" to go). But I liked it, you were really into it... I love it when pianists do that.

48. TTigg / Steve C - A Good Question
Very pretty, Steve! Of course a lot of that is thanks to the composer, but it still takes a talented pianist to make the music come alive and that is exactly what you did!

49. epf - Andaluza (or Playera) #5 from 12 Spanish Dances
Your video seems to be missing but the MP3 will do just fine. ;-) I enjoyed your recording!

50. Beethoven Fan - Put out the Light
Unfortunately the quality of the recording (or rather lack thereof) made your playing sometimes hard to follow, although it does make it sound a little like I would expect a piano in New Orleans to sound. ;-)

51. Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni
Yeah, Red Dot Forever! It must be pretty hard to play such a long piece after only 18 months of playing, so I think everyone will forgive you those few tiny errors. I will anyway!

52. Mar_red - Manhã de Carnaval (Carnival)
Great tune! I didn't know it yet, but I can see why you love this. And yes, I definitely like your rendition!

53. Mark... - Song Without Words
Any excuse to participate in the recital is a good one! I enjoyed your recording, even though it was only a practice piece!

54. Ode2Joy - Bagatelle Op. 33 No. 3
I guess this is the only Beethoven this time around. I liked it!

55. kokomo61 - Blues in Three
Nice blues improv! Your additional info says "needs more work" but doesn't it always? The fun of improvisation is that you can keep making it cooler every time you play it. Well done!

Thanks everyone for listening to my piece and commenting on it. Your nice words are much appreciated.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mahlzeit

48. TTigg / Steve C - A Good Question
Very pretty, Steve! Of course a lot of that is thanks to the composer, but it still takes a talented pianist to make the music come alive and that is exactly what you did!

[Linked Image] Thanks Mahlzeit, being part of this forum, the recitals and MOYD has really helped my playing and I look forward to continuing the path smile
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mahlzeit
49. epf - Andaluza (or Playera) #5 from 12 Spanish Dances
Your video seems to be missing but the MP3 will do just fine. ;-) I enjoyed your recording!
Not sure what happened, but here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgTCg7i0RLc

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone who commented my piece. I really appreciate it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry for a total mishap with posting my last comments! I hope to do better next time... I'm terribly sorry.

I'd like to say BIG thanks to all of you - for encouraging comments on my piece, for wonderful time listening to your performances, and for combined fun of being here with you. And thanks to Monica, Mahlzeit and everyone who made this recital possible once again. Thank you!

40. Glen R. - Minuet in G Major (No. 2) Very nice Glen! It didn't sound too difficult at all.

41. GregF - Not Mad at the World Anymore Beautiful, flowing, almost like silk, melody. Very good!

42. Jazzwee - Very Early I'm constantly jelous of those who can feel and play jazz and jazzy-feeling pieces. I liked it very much.

43. praisehimau, Stephanie - Prelude In C Minor, wtc Book II The recording has funny sound indeed, but the piece shines through it. Very fine playing!

44. WJ3 - Minuet in G Major/Minor De Capo Wonderful way to control your progress, which is by all means incredible. You have great control over this piece.

45. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - I've Got You Under My Skin I'm glad you're in! Maybe you're not thrilled, but I am. Really enjoyable performance.

46. tekkie - Cavatina Simply beautiful... smooth and lovely. A bit contemplative, too.

47. GreenRain - Venetian Gondola Song (Op. 30 No. 6) I got intrigued by the title and found the piece very beautiful, thanks for this moving performance GreenRain smile It brings back many memories. I must get acquainted with Mendelssohn! smile

48. TTigg / Steve C - A Good Question TTigg, you're playing really, really well for one year! Well, no, I would say you are playing really really well even if I hadn't known your time behind the keys. Very good performance! I love the speed.

49. epf - Andaluza (or Playera) #5 from 12 Spanish Dances My girlfriend... well, she's not really my girlfriend, but who cares... has just gone to Spain for 6 months. Hearing Granados made me smile and feel the longing. Beautiful rendition, epf.

50. Beethoven Fan - Put out the Light Now, I love it too! Funny beast! Sounds pretty difficult to me!

51. Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni I can't remember a recital without Einaudi, and I don't want to. You did well! And don't worry about the stretch - that's how we all improve!

52. Mar_red - Manhă de Carnaval (Carnival) I wish I could play in your style, really. Great pleasure to listen to.

53. Mark... - Song Without Words You're right, Mark! Small piece is MUCH better than no piece! This one maybe is small, but has its moments. Nice playing! And beautiful piano sound too.

54. Ode2Joy - Bagatelle Op. 33 No. 3 Ode2Joy, it was a joy! smile

55. kokomo61 - Blues in Three Everything always needs work forever. And what about it? You played rally well. Thanks!

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mati
Sorry for a total mishap with posting my last comments! I hope to do better next time... I'm terribly sorry.
48. TTigg / Steve C - A Good Question TTigg, you're playing really, really well for one year! Well, no, I would say you are playing really really well even if I hadn't known your time behind the keys. Very good performance! I love the speed.

No worries, Mati and thank you [Linked Image] for the kind comments. Pretty much everyone agreed that they preferred my timing to Wayne's original version, that on it's own makes me smile smile

thumb
SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission