2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the explanation. Out here, the B's have come in with really soft hammers. They may have been lacquered, but sure don't sound like it. This past week, I tried both a B and A; the A seemed lacquered up to where the dampers end, but then really soft. I don't understand their voicing policy, but if any of my students actually end up with one, I will go through it and leave instructions for their technician.

Interesting comment on the inertia. So do I understand correctly that to get a lighter feel touch, the fulcrum is moved rearward? I suppose that means let-off has to be readjusted as well.

Thanks again. I'm sure this is helping many teachers.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Get a piano in your price range with the heaviest touch.

I agree but would warn that a rather heavy touch, on a great piano, can also feel remarkably "fast" and eventually just feels right.

If the touch is also sluggish (which can only be determined by an experienced player), it can be horrnedous to deal with.

In the end it is the responsiveness of the touch, the evenness (and so on) that makes it possible for fine players to "strut their stuff".

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for the explanation. Out here, the B's have come in with really soft hammers. They may have been lacquered, but sure don't sound like it. This past week, I tried both a B and A; the A seemed lacquered up to where the dampers end, but then really soft. I don't understand their voicing policy, but if any of my students actually end up with one, I will go through it and leave instructions for their technician.

Interesting comment on the inertia. So do I understand correctly that to get a lighter feel touch, the fulcrum is moved rearward? I suppose that means let-off has to be readjusted as well.

Thanks again. I'm sure this is helping many teachers.

John

Hi John,
Yes, you are correct that by moving the fulcrum away from the player you create a mechanical advantage that translates to a lighter touch, but this device in no way affects the regulation of the action and the let off will not be affected. Immediately after installation, the keys will need to be re-leveled, the dip reset and the piano regulated, but that is all a one time operation. As far as Steinway's voicing policy, I can't speak to that. Of course it makes no sense to lacquer the hammers and stop in the high treble. That's usually where you would want the greatest increase in volume and tone. Regarding inertia, it is the aspect of touch that is least discussed but, probably, most important. Adding weight to the front of the key to attain the desired downweights, without giving consideration to the friction, leverage and ideal hammer strikeweights is a self defeating approach. If the hammers are too heavy, or light, if the piano has an inordinate amount of friction at the bushings, or other contact points, and if the leverage components are not optimized, then you are adding needless mass to the system, which will only result in inertial buildup and the piano "fighting" the player at every turn. That is also why it is important to have hammers that also maintain their resiliency, so that they can recoil from the string as quickly as possible to allow for clarity of the fundamental tone and full development of the partial overtones. This is another aspect that is often overlooked. An overly hard hammer will have a damping effect on the string, by staying in contact with it too long. Another area where damping of the string occurs is at the front bridge pins, as they are traditionally angled over the string at it's termination point to prevent the string from riding up on the pin and losing contact with the bridge.

Piano Technician/Tuner
R
R
I wouldn't worry about the younger ones having a problem. I have a grand with a very heavy action, and five-year-olds play it all the time with no issues. I don't think they find it frustrating at all.

I think it is generally harder to go from a too-light action at home to playing a grand at a teacher's house. So, I agree with the others who've said to get the best piano you can with a nice, heavy action.

Good for you for giving your kids the opportunity to learn on a good instrument!

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
An action that is very heavy or very light is usually not a good idea IMO.

If a person speaks of a "nice, heavy action" or a "light, responsive(some find heavy actions responsive)action that plays like butter(yuck!)", I think they're really saying that's the kind of action they personally like.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks again. I hope both teachers and students are paying attention!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
An action that is very heavy or very light is usually not a good idea IMO.

If a person speaks of a "nice, heavy action" or a "light, responsive(some find heavy actions responsive)action that plays like butter(yuck!)", I think they're really saying that's the kind of action they personally like.

Just to clarify, I said "nice, heavy action" as in an action that feels nice and not too light (like some pianos I've played that feel not much better than an unweighted electronic keyboard! crazy

I personally like a grand action somewhere in the middle range. I think the heaviness of my action is too much, and I've had technicians do as much as they can to lighten it over the years.

Since the original poster was looking at uprights, I don't "think" you normally find one that's too heavy.

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission