2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Even people who have no idea what they are talking about are bound to be right occasionally. A broken clock is right twice a day, but it's still a broken clock. A cuckoo clock is always cuckoo. smile

Steven

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by Gyro
I personally would not tell either
teacher about the dual instruction.
Today teachers like to clearly separate
the fields of classical and jazz
piano and don't like it when student
is in both. Classical teachers
typically would be much opposed
to simultaneous jazz instruction,
because they would see it as a
lesser art form. And even jazz
teachers might want you to put all
your time into their field. But
this is misguided, because there's
really no difference between the
two and they should nicely complement
each other, provided you have
enough time and energy to practice
your assignments in both.

At the risk of being argumentative here, I know many classical piano teachers who welcome the study of jazz and often teach it themselves. My view, along with theirs, is that such comprehensive keyboard study "rounds out" the education.

That said, I agree with gyro in that there are teachers out there (classical teachers) that _do_ feel basically the way he mentions. Perhaps his use of the word "typical" is incorrect in scope, and there may be some who are simply tolerant of it though not actually opposed to it, but his overall comment does have some truth to it. Don't know very many "serious high level" jazz teachers to know if the feeling is reciprocal though.

Does Gyro know "very many serious high level jazz teachers"? Does he know any teachers at all, classical or otherwise? From where does he get his information? He has advised folks to not start their kids with teachers in past posts. He has told them this would be "throwing them (the kids) to the wolves". Is this how he feels about piano teachers?

Piano Teacher
OP Offline
Question: Okay...Am I totally nuts ?

Answer: How would we know that?

Suggestion: Why don't you do it anyway?

Comment: Maybe it helps to be totally nuts?

Question: Were you going to listen to "us" or are you planning to find the answer yourself through your own experience?

Reminder: You can achieve what you can imagine.

Question: What's stopping you?

Another question: Will you give us feedback at some later date?

It's not such a novelty to have two teachers at the same time for different purposes. It needs to be planned to your calendar and time frame for preparing your assignments for lessons. It needs to fit in your budget. There is no point to doing more than one musical project at the same time unless you have the time, effort, money and you are or can become a disciplined learner.

Just for the joy of it is a good enough reason. You may determine that this works for you, but if it isn't working you are going to have to accept that and focus in on what you most need to be doing in order to make progress in your music.

You will never know if you don't try. If it seems important to you, then it is.

Now - finding the willing teachers may be the next challenge. I would not keep it a secret from either of them. And, maybe you could find both paths from one teacher. It's been known to happen.

Betty, Obviously nothing is stopping me. The real reason I was asking was to find out how common it is to juggle two different teachers in this fashion. Maybe that should have been the emphasis of my question. I've never considered doing it before and wanted to get an idea of how difficult it may or may not be. I enjoy my classical teacher and want to continue working with her but she doesn't do jazz. The jazz teacher I have in mind is a good one and I've been told he is pretty accomodating to schedules. Unfortunately they don't reside in the same body. I thought the best group to bounce it off of would be other teachers just to see how it would play. I already go every other week with my classical teacher. My hope is that I can alternate weeks between each instructor.

Gyro's remarks notwithstanding, I have no intention of keeping it a secret from either teacher. They have every reason to expect me to be honest about this and I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping them in the dark.

Last edited by dmc092657; 08/25/09 04:58 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Even people who have no idea what they are talking about are bound to be right occasionally. A broken clock is right twice a day, but it's still a broken clock. A cuckoo clock is always cuckoo. smile

Steven

Originally Posted by Barb860
Does Gyro know "very many serious high level jazz teachers"? Does he know any teachers at all, classical or otherwise? From where does he get his information? He has advised folks to not start their kids with teachers in past posts. He has told them this would be "throwing them (the kids) to the wolves". Is this how he feels about piano teachers?

Opinions on the poster aside, his post in this case had a valid perspective, it is one that I have seen first hand and in more than one occasion. Again, he may be overstating the extent, but the basic premise is reasonable.

To the OP, over the summer our daughter started taking some Jazz lessons in addition to her "normal" lessons. In our case the content of the two classes differed radically enough that we didn't see any issues at all, technically or ideologically. Currently she isn't far enough along on the Jazz side to have worked on any specific technique that may not "play well" (forgive the pun) with her "classical" technique (our biggest concern other than time). We think this dual course is generally beneficial and plan on continuing as practice time allows (iffy now that school has started).

Another thing to look into that's a bit different than many following the "standard" classical path is chamber music (and yes, there are "classical" teachers out there who aren't too hot on this as well). We have both kids doing chamber and it has been an awesome experience. It gets them out of the "piano playing as an individual endeavour" mode and teaches them other music playing skills (e.g. handling situations when you and the other players get out of sync). There are other plus' and minus' but overall we've been very pleased.

Last edited by bitWrangler; 08/25/09 05:47 PM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It's possible to agree with a premise without going out of one's way to say that one agrees with a poster who posts 99.9% nonsense, much of which is potentially harmful. Might as well say, Congratulations, right on! and keep 'em coming.

Whatever the merits of what was written on this occasion, there's no reason to think it's any less made up than all the bizarre factoids in the other 3,000+ posts.

Steven

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I want to know if a student of mine is studying with another teacher.

I have NO problems with a student studying other teachers when other teachers are respecting what I'm teaching. And that almost is the case.

If a student keeps his teachers in the dark, the only advantage would be when the teachers are unwilling to cooperate with each other. In that case the problem might be rather big and delicate egos. smile

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by sotto voce
It's possible to agree with a premise without going out of one's way to say that one agrees with a poster who posts 99.9% nonsense, much of which is potentially harmful. Might as well say, Congratulations, right on! and keep 'em coming.

Whatever the merits of what was written on this occasion, there's no reason to think it's any less made up than all the bizarre factoids in the other 3,000+ posts.

Steven

THis is a little OP ... maybe we should start a thread about that poster. Why dont we try to empathise with him ... what if he had a set of bad teachers?

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Threads have been started about that poster. They have been summarily deleted by moderators, and I agree with their decision to do so. I don't think any member needs to be the topic of a thread unless it's his or her birthday. smile

I would suggest that empathy doesn't require validation. I don't question whether or not he had bad teachers; I don't think it's exculpatory any more than having had bad doctors is an excuse for posting that Lyme disease and AIDS are not serious conditions and don't require medical treatment—something that poster has also written in these forums.

Steven

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission