Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
64 registered members (CosminX, Boylan, Bett, aphexdisklavier, albydooby, camperbc, 23 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 491 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Calling Kawai "cheap plastic" is ignorance [Re: Inlanding] #1255473 08/24/09 08:20 PM
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Inlanding

=========SNIP===============
Same can be said of my 1917 O. When the humidity starts to drop a bit, this piano takes on this incredible tonality. Whether it is the most excellent sound board, the well-voiced hammers, or the superbly regulated action, it is truly mesmerizing to play. In fact, it sounds so good to me that I get distracted by it when practicing/playing, whether it is to obtain the softest pianissimo or most percussive fortissimo, it is a joy to play. It's dynamics, tone, tactile responsiveness are simply incredible!

Carbon fibre action parts on newer pianos I am sure will have their place, and I will go play a Kawai configured that way just to see/feel what it's like.
=================SNIP==================
I look forward to playing a modern Kawai.
Glen

Glen - odds are, you will love the Kawai, and if not a vanilla Kawai, a Shigeru-Kawai. I played a number of pianos on a tour recently, a Yamaha cIII-s, 2 Hamburg Steinway D's, an aged Kawai concert grand, and a Shigeru-Kawai SK-7.

All the pianos with the exception of the older Kawai concert grand (it had many years of deferred maintenance to be done and absolutely zero after-touch), all the pianos were a joy to play. Each brand was different, and the experience of playing a particular piano and the sound that came from it, were influenced greatly by the basic sound and feel of the type of instrument, just like your Steinway O.

The two pianos I have played in my life that were the most controllable, most luxurious feeling, were the SK-7 previously mentioned and a Fazioli F212. A new Yamaha C7 from the Yamaha C&A reserve, with some extra prep from a Yamaha School House trained tech in Frederick, MD, follows as a close 2nd. None of those pianos sounded like a Steinway, they had their own distinctive sounds.

Do get out and play some of the competition. I love the Steinway sound, myself, but it's nice that there are other pianos today, really of equal caliber (my opinion, please don't shoot me dear readers), that we can play and enjoy.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Calling Kawai "cheap plastic" is ignorance [Re: Seeker] #1255605 08/25/09 01:17 AM
I
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi Andrew,
I have yet to play any piano that comes close in terms of tactile responsiveness, dynamics, exhuberance, richness, and clarity of my 1917 O, save perhaps a few D model Steinways very well maintained, and one Mason Hamlin. Yes, that O is a reference point - I am spoiled and have become accustomed to the atmosphere it generates when played.

However, that is not to say I don't enjoy playing my girlfriend's substantive Bluthner. It's just a different animal, and if they were side-by-side in my house, the Bluthner would remain idle. The Conservatory performance Yamahas I've been fortunate to play simply lacked a richness, while the action was just fine. Dare I say they were lacking a "soul"? I just did not get that connected feeling from the physical component of playing the notes to the sound that hits my ear.

Regardless of the manufacturer of the instrument and they year it was produced, playing a piano is an experience.

The enjoyment obtained from playing a piano is multi-faceted and on so many levels.

It seems it is the overall "experience" of playing the instrument is what leaves an indellible impression on the player and is what separates one instrument from another, don't you think? Whether a piano has carbon fiber action parts and a synthetic sound board might be irrelevant for some, but for others it is relevant.

I am looking forward to getting in front of one of those Kawais this weekend, if not sooner, to check out the "relevance" factor {;>)

Regardless...I like to play and I like to listen to others playing.

Thanks for your enouragement!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Re: Calling Kawai "cheap plastic" is ignorance [Re: Brent B] #1255906 08/25/09 02:16 PM
B
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brent B
This post is actualy in response to the thread "Help Buying a Boston GP-178." I didn't want to hijack that thread just to vent my frustration so I started a new one.

It's just unfortunate that so many Steinway/Boston dealers have to put down Kawai. Kawai manufactures the piano for cryin' out loud--have some respect.

I can't imagine that the Steinway/Boston company itself is telling dealers to say these things and I'm sure they would not condone such behavior. OR......maybe they do.......many of their dealers seem to be spewing the same anti-brand B propaganda.

Sure there are differences between Boston and Kawai, and maybe Boston is a slightly better piano (I really don't know--haven't spent much time with a Boston), but dealers need to explain the REAL differences between the products. Saying that Kawai is just cheap "plastic" is not only inaccurate, it's IGNORANT.

Sure, they'll draw in quite a few uneducated buyers with their nonsense, but they will also turn away many educated buyers. The first piano dealer I went to when I started my search several weeks ago was a Steinway/Boston/Essex dealer. I played the Boston and Essex (and Steinway for fun, of course), both very nice pianos, and then asked him if he carried Kawai. He then proceded to give me his Kawai is "cheap plastic" routine and that no serious pianist should ever consider a piano that uses such parts. That was the moment I knew I would not buy a piano from this man. If I know for a fact he is completely uninformed about competing brands, how can I trust that he is honest about the quality of the brands he carries?

I just think a piano dealer should have a little more class than a used car salesman.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying these things because I own a Kawai--I DON'T. Kawai is a front-runner in my search so far, but this is not just me trying to justify a purchase that I've already made

A Steinway dealer recently told me that Boston pianos are far superior to Kawai's because, and only because, of the Kawai plastic parts. I was told that the plastic parts will break over time. Personally, I enjoy playing an upright Kawai more than its comparable Boston. Kawai has a nicer tone, IMO.

Piano Teacher
Re: Calling Kawai "cheap plastic" is ignorance [Re: Barb860] #1256105 08/25/09 07:24 PM
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Barb,

I found this a very interesting statement:

I was told that the plastic parts will break over time.

Wood parts will bread over time, also. That doesn't mean that they are superior or inferior. It is nothing more than salesman babble to get a commission.

Both pianos have their merits and it is up to each purchaser to make a decision. The bottom line is that one isn't "better than the other." It is just that they are different instruments which appeal to different ears and hands.

Marty in Minnesota
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I'm Back
by Tubbie0075 - 12/15/19 05:50 AM
Need Advice re: Kawai KG2E
by AuroraCO - 12/15/19 12:55 AM
Jazz Piano
by PatrickJazzyTunes - 12/15/19 12:51 AM
Getting discouraged
by Elpida - 12/15/19 12:29 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,662
Posts2,901,736
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission