2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
When sight reading, I think it is required that you look ahead. Of course, the amount one looks ahead will vary.

How about when playing a piece(without music) one has learned well? I think in this situation I'm usually "thinking ahead" although I'm not really sure. I don't know if this is true for most pianists or not. I don't know if it's good, bad or neither. If one should be thinking ahead, exactly what should one be thinking about?

I'm reminded of a story about some great pianist(maybe Friedman?)who looked towards the ceiling a lot during a performance of some piece. An observer asked what he was thinking about and Friedman said something like "paying the laundry bill".

Most great pianists certainly seem to be concentrating to a very high degree while playing, but I'm not sure what's going through their mind.

Opinions?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/21/09 08:29 PM.
OP Online Content
double trouble

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/21/09 04:20 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've taken the chance of going into auto-pilot during a live performance, and let my mind drift off thinking about what I'm gonna eat after the recital. Sure enough, I was able to play just fine and flawlessly during that time ( about 40 seconds or so ).

Other times I fully devoted to what my fingers are doing or are about to do. I think that a professional pianist can afford to think about anything except what they're playing. I can see how it would shift into second nature for moments and free themselves to think about other things.

Basically, If I can do it, I'm sure someone with much more experience can do it too.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
W
W
Frankly, I cannot. Performing is one of those instances where I'm "all in" and space/time seems to distort. I am doing nothing but processing and receiving feedback from what has been played while getting wrapped up in the emotion of the particular piece.

A concert should be a profound and magical experience for both
the performer and audience. It is in performance that
you experience the true essence of a composer.

~W. Clark
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I read somewhere, (it might have been Neuhaus' Art of Piano Playing) that one way to avoid memory slips during a performance is to always focus a little ahead, anticipating the upcoming measure or phrase. This way your mind is engaged in the music and has too much to concentrate on to wander. Autopilot by itself is dangerous because when you come back into focus, it can really throw you off. You start thinking "Oh where was I?" I found looking ahead to be very useful in maintaining my focus and accuracy during a performance.

Best regards,

Deborah
I only know a piece if I can see myself playing it in my mind's eye just a tiny bit ahead.

I definitely think it's different for everyone.

I, personally, have to be in some weird mental state when I play. I know that I am playing but I am not really focusing super hard on what comes next.

When I do, I start thinking "I know the next part! I won't mess it up!" And then as soon as I get to that measure, I mess up.

I guess I jinx myself when I do that.

BUT, if my mind starts wandering and thinking things like "I wonder what's for dinner?" then I will forget what I'm doing and mess up.

I have to find some happy medium where I'm not too oblivious but not concentrating too hard either. Frustrating sometimes, but I can usually get there!

My Piano Website - FREE Piano Sheet Music!!!
Originally Posted by Für_Elise
I definitely think it's different for everyone.

I, personally, have to be in some weird mental state when I play. I know that I am playing but I am not really focusing super hard on what comes next.

When I do, I start thinking "I know the next part! I won't mess it up!" And then as soon as I get to that measure, I mess up.

I guess I jinx myself when I do that.

BUT, if my mind starts wandering and thinking things like "I wonder what's for dinner?" then I will forget what I'm doing and mess up.

I have to find some happy medium where I'm not too oblivious but not concentrating too hard either. Frustrating sometimes, but I can usually get there!
Something tells me you're using muscle memory. I mostly use harmony/theory memory to bring up the visual cues. It's pretty much full proof though difficult at speed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
KBK, I had the same thought.

Fur Elise, muscle memory alone is not reliable. I'm only now learning theory with the goal of analyzing the score so I can memorize more effectively. I'm told this is the best way to be secure during a performance. In the meantime, I picture the score in my mind as I play.

Best regards,

Deborah

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission