2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1253259 08/21/09 10:03 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
For those of us who have spouses and/or children to make dinner for, what do you do with your schedule? Since I work at a studio outside my home, it is not very convenient for me to teach, go home and have dinner, then return to teach some more.

My schedule pretty much crams everyone into a 4-hour block from 3-7 pm every day, usually with no breaks. Still, this means by the time I'm home and done cooking we eat around 8 pm. What do you guys do about making/eating dinner?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
My studio is in my home. It has a separate entrance which is nice. I wish we could have sit down meals as a family but we can’t.

I prepare a lot of casseroles and I am able to take them out/put them in the oven in between students. Crock pots are the best. I am always looking for prepare ahead recipes. If you have some good ones, send them to me.

I have four pre-teen boys so I also look for recipe that don’t have potential for a lot of dishes and clean-up.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My crock pot is my best friend on teaching days. I teach till 6:15.
Family favorites:
spaghetti sauce
chili
beef/chicken for tacos filling
BBQ chicken
beef stew

If anyone wants recipes, PM me and I'll send them to you.
Or get a crock pot cookbook and experiment.
In the summer months, I make big salads for the fridge, my teens and busy husband can eat and run.

Piano Teacher
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I teach 3:30 - 7, from home, with built in breaks, so it's no big deal for me to pop something in the oven. Yesterday it was a chicken noodle casserole I made early in the day. When my 6:30 student came, I put it in the oven for 30 minutes. I also use the crock pot a lot. I make more than I need, freeze the leftovers, and then have quick microwavable meals for other days. Family favorites include turkey breast with sweet potatoes, pot roast, various stews and soups, pork and sauerkraut, etc. My husband gets home about 7, and we eat about 7:30. Empty nest now, but this worked well when I had three at home, too.

Other meals, like spaghetti or tacos or chef salad or stir fry, don't take that long to throw together if I don't have something already cooking. And there's always pizza!

Last edited by Lollipop; 08/21/09 10:43 AM.

piano teacher
M
OP Offline
M
I do use the crock pot of a couple of things, but it's hard to find good recipes. I don't do enough casseroles, because until recently I couldn't eat any grains or pasta or breads, and most of them have something like that in them. But now I have that under control.

Making extra and freezing it for another day is a great idea.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yup, my crock pot gets a workout too!!
With 3 boys and their sports/school/work schedules and my piano, it's just easier to have a dinner that anyone can access at any time.

I always keep lots of cut up stuff in the fridge too, so people can make fresh sandwiches when it's hot out.

I always make doubles too, and freeze the rest for later. Do you all know about the foil lining trick? Line your casserole before you put the food in it. Cook it, then freeze the whole business. After a few hours, pull the foil and food out of the container, wrap it up tight and you have your casserole dish back to use so it's not in the freezer. When you want to make it, it fits right back into your casserole dish smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I teach in a retail location 4 days a week; my day ends at 6:15. As my kids have gotten older I assigned them each one day a week to cook dinner, which has become more challenging as they now have part-time jobs. One day a week we might all meet somewhere for dinner (or it's just my husband and I), and another day I'll have something in the crockpot or a quick meal.

There are some great crockpot recipes at www.copykat.com :
Pepperonchini Beef (basically a chuck roast that you shred to make beef dip sandwiches)
Crockpot Italian Chicken
Cabbage Roll Casserole

Also, Paula Dean has a great fairly quick recipe for Chicken Fajita Tacos.

Another great site for recipes is www.allrecipes.com

I like recipes that real home cooks have contributed and aren't just in cookbooks.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
LVP Offline
Depending on how health nutty you are, one of our go to's might work as well.

We make a bunch of salads and sides (pototo, pasta,carrot, tomato) to eat over a few days. I also cut up tomoatoes, eggs, olives, and other green salad toppings and throw them in separate containers so that is really fast to put together a hearty green salad. If you grill up a bunch of chicken and beef at the beginning of the week, then you or your family can combine these raw materials nicely. This week this has meant chef salad for dinner one night, chicken breast and potato salad, chicken sandwiches with lettuce and tomato on top, and sliced steak and feta salad.

It helps if you keep lots of salad stuff around to dress it up (different cheese, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a million dressings, craisins, whatever your folks love)

We have a farm share, so it's hard for us to not eat lots of veg every day or it goes to waste.

Anyhow, in the heat, we like this since it creates a giant salad bar in the fridge that you can also use for yummy sandwiches. And we try to cook protein in mass so that there is less heat in the house! Grilling also makes more sense when you just do a bunch at once. Be sure if you do this not to overcook your chicken, or it is terrible if you reheat it in the micro! Sometimes I'll make a quiche too to stand in as a protein. Easy to cook with/pre-made dough and reheats like a dream.

We do a ton in the crockpot in winter, but this is my technique for coping with summer heat and abundance of vegetables.

smile

LVP
Charles Walter 1500
Korg SP-170s
M
M
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory

I always make doubles too, and freeze the rest for later. Do you all know about the foil lining trick? Line your casserole before you put the food in it. Cook it, then freeze the whole business. After a few hours, pull the foil and food out of the container, wrap it up tight and you have your casserole dish back to use so it's not in the freezer. When you want to make it, it fits right back into your casserole dish smile

And a lot of casseroles can be frozen in freezer bags before cooking them.

I have a few casseroles that don’t have to be layered. I dump all the ingredients in a freezer bag and then thaw and poor into a casserole.

For example. Cream of chicken soup, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, cooked chicken breast, chicken broth all dumped into a bag. I cook egg noodles and freeze them separately.

When I want to prepare this meal, I thaw out and pour all the I ingredients in a crock pot and cook. I add a bag of vegetable at the end.

Mustaccoli Cass. I put two jars of spaghetti sauce, cooked mustacholli noodles (1 lb) and cooked hamburger in a Freezer bag and Freeze. ( You can also add pepperoni and mushrooms.) Thaw ingredients in the bag and poor into a casserole. Top with cheese.

A few girlfriends and I do a casserole/ meal exchange during the winter/fall months. Once a month, we each prepare five freezer meals . It is easy to buy bulk and prepare the same five meals. The exchange is fun as you get five new meals.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
What has worked for us, is that I have dinner ready at 3:30. Everyone eats when they get home! That way they aren't snacking when they get home and then having supper after that! Dinner is their snack! Sometimes they eat dinner at 3:30, 4:00 or 4:30! And everyone eats alone cause they arrive home at different times!

Myself, I eat only 2 meals a day! Breakfast at 10:00 and dinner at 2:00! Dinner for me is yesterday's leftover! So I'm actually one day behind everyone else! Will have fruit and yogurt in between if I need it! Can't eat after I teach either, cause I'm too tired!

I'll just add this cause I think most of us tend to not drink enough water! If I'm dehydration, I will have trouble sleeping at night, so throughout the day, I drink a ton of water!

I can't emphasize the importance of drinking lots of water! Most of the time I'm not all that thirsty, but I force water down anyway! I usually push 10 glasses a day!

Hope this helps!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Diane...
What has worked for us, is that I have dinner ready at 3:30. Everyone eats when they get home! That way they aren't snacking when they get home and then having supper after that! Dinner is their snack! Sometimes they eat dinner at 3:30, 4:00 or 4:30! And everyone eats alone cause they arrive home at different times!

I do this also as my kids are the hungriest after school and off to football practice by 5:30. Anything that they can dish up themselves is priority for me.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

B
BSP Offline
B
What a great thread! I really need to remember to drink a lot of water because I'm prone to migraines. On days when I teach, I do teach back-to-back, so that can get me in a lot of trouble, because I'm so focused on what I'm doing, I forget to drink water, much less eat. Just this morning, I ate breakfast, walked the dog, and had a lesson starting at 10am. By 10:20, my stomach was growling. OMG! It was my first lesson with an intermediate transfer student, and it broke the ice quite nicely. LOL

Last year, I wasn't organized enough to get dinner ready before teaching.. this year, I will remember to. What a great idea, to do the crockpot thing..

BevP

OK, now I'm feeling really spoiled. I teach at home until 8 or later most nights, and my husband takes care of everything. I hardly cook at all anymore (but am looking forward to trying out, or eating my husband's trying out, of the many yummy suggestions here. We also go mainly for salads during the summer, and do make use of the crock pot during cold weather, since even though he's cooking, there can't be a lot of it going on while I'm teaching. Great ideas, everyone!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Knabe26
...and do make use of the crock pot during cold weather,

Hee hee I had to laugh. Northern California....cold????

I saw some construction guys once just north of Santa Rosa. It was about 35 degrees and they were dressed like eskimos (no offense to anyone). That made me laugh, yes, I know that's cold for you guys. I invite you to come here in January smile All in good fun wink

E&I, I know I'm a spoiled Californian, and should have said 'colder,' rather than cold! I lived in Santa Rosa for years, but now I'm up at about 1300 feet in the Sierra foothills and even get snow about every third winter (sometimes even more than an inch!) grin

www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow! Ths is a great thread even for those of us for whom cooking is just not a priority! I love it - thanks!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Knabe26
I'm up at about 1300 feet in the Sierra foothills and even get snow about every third winter (sometimes even more than an inch!) grin

Stop it, you're killing me here!! lol lol smile smile An inch! ACK!! smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I use my crock pot year round - that air conditioning can be downright chilly! laugh

piano teacher
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have had a party business selling kitchen tools for the past 8 years (the income paid for my Steinway!) and the recipes and techniques I've learned from this have definitely helped me be more efficient in creating healthy, quick meals for my family. The company even created 2 30-minute meal cookbooks in the last year that save a lot of time.

My best tip for fixing meals quickly is to do some investment cooking and some morning prep. I'll cook off 4 lbs of ground beef at a time, divide it up and freeze it. You can marinate and cook off chicken breasts and use them in various things from chicken salad to pasta dishes to casseroles.

In the morning, you can chop up vegetables to use in a stir fry or salad, mix up sauces or cook off the potatoes so they just take a quick reheating. You can also use certain frozen products to jumpstart a dish (frozen hash browns, for instance).

I can get a good meal on the table in 30 minutes or less and we usually manage to all eat together. Just tonight I made a meal in 20 minutes: rosemary herb rice (not a mix!), sauteed chicken breast fillets with a lemon/caper butter sauce, green beans and biscuits.

You can do it if you want to!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
I was thinking about this topic today too! Our daughter will start Kindergarten soon and I realized I teach most days straight through dinner time. Perhaps I can share some lunch time with her at school and prepare some nice meals for Saturdays....Also my schedule varies a bit and when I feel like taking a day off, I do! So perhaps with all that we will have some time to sit down as a family. Casseroles and Crock Pot meals are great ideas...Eating late will not be an option as she will be getting up soooo early....But I would feel better knowing my family is getting a healthy meal...It all seems a small price to pay for having a job I enjoy!

Last edited by trillingadventurer; 08/22/09 12:42 AM.

M. Katchur
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission