2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's my recording of Standchen by Schubert, arranged by Liszt. This was a really fun and rewarding piece to learn.

Standchen, Schwanengesang - S 560

Constructive comments are welcome. Thanks for listening!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wonderful!!! This is one of my top favorite transcriptions of all time. Other than perhaps a handful of spots, you carried the melody perfectly to my ears. I'll look at the score while listening later to pinpoint anything and to make sure it wasn't just me. The Steinway sounds gorgeous and very well tuned. Your pp touch is great, too!

Horowitz's recording of Ständchen[/i] is a must have. It's on the [i]Horowitz at Home disc from Deutsch-Grammophon. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey, thanks Horowitzian for your encouraging comments. It was very hard for me to memorize this transcription. The left hand chording changes all the times.
I cheated in the bridge section by not playing some notes, because of very awkward fingering. It will probably take me a few more months to get them all.

I do keep the Steinway tuned.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
What measures contain fingering that you find awkward? Perseverance brings reward! smile

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I think I was just lacking perseverance here. The fingering wasn't way too awkward, it's the "con agitazione" section. The right hand plays octave notes and has syncopated inner notes. I was having a hard time playing the inner notes.

I'm learning Tristesse right now. It requires _lots_ of perseverance there. Maybe after that is done, I'll go back and clean up the shortcuts I made with Standchen.

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
by the way, Horowitz' recording of Standchen is superb. His dynamic is so huge and the notes are very clean and distinctive.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm glad you enjoy it as much as I do. What's more amazing is how old he was at the time. I looked at my score...yeah, those look like a bit of trouble unless you have a really large hand. Pull those out and practice them by themselves until you can play them well.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow, wonderful playing!! Not only your playing but the recording quality and the camera work were mighty fine as well. I just recently listened to pianovirus's interpretation on youtube and was inspired enough to get the sheet music and try it myself. I've opted for the Heller transcription (although I like the Liszt better) just because it will be a little more my speed. Many thanks for sharing that.

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Peyton! The camera work was a little trick I learned recently when making videos for family. It's poor man's multi angle trick by zooming and panning in the editing software.

I've watched your videos and you're pretty good yourself. Good luck on the Standchen.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
oh i forgot that i have this piece, it's one of the best melodies ever written. It's gorgeous and you do a great job! I love your soulfullness.

I'll have to pull it out again.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi, excellent recording. i really enjoyed it. I wonder, are you playing the ossia staves at the beginning or the more difficult ones? I've noticed than even in recordings by professional pianists they tend to play a mixture of the two.

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Apple for your comments.

Thanks for your comment bruce-san. Were you mentioning the staves on the bottom with smaller & thinner lines? I didn't play those, I was wondering what those are for. I didn't pay attention too much on those, but they looked kind of identical to the main staves.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found your interpretation to be quite tasteful and respectful of both composer and transcriber. If I may, I would make a few suggestions though. Firstly, I would advise using more pedal in the first four measures (are you using any?). The notes in the right hand are supposed to be staccato but you still should pedal through at least a little bit (according to my sheet music, Liszt even wrote it in). It's a little startling when the melody in the right hand begins in measure 5 and the base line is no longer sounds staccato. Secondly, from measures 66-85 and 94-97, the top voice should act as a sort of echo so I'd suggest playing those parts a bit softer if you can or bringing the lower voice out more. Thirdly, let's see more videos from you! smile

Honestly, you did a really great job. I wish there were more people like you on YouTube. It looks like you've really worked hard and thought about this piece a lot. Keep up the good work!

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
S
S
I know the piece,have heard it hundreds times and different performances but it never touched me so much as now.
Great job!

ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
akonow: Thanks so much for your comments and helpful tips. I used the pedal only the last 2 notes of every measure (just before each chord changes). In my mind, I was thinkinging of it being like marcatto string section. You're right though that when the melody comes in, the change was too abrupt. I need to figure out a way to blend it in just before the melody comes in.

I agree that I need to work on the echo to be softer.

snow: Thanks! I'm honored.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
It's on my hard drive now. Great job!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is one of the most enjoyable videos I've ever had the pleasure of seeing and hearing on YouTube. Excellent video and sound quality, and a really lovely piece of music... well done ab-ster!

May I ask what equipment you used to record the video?

Michael
It's obvious that you have taken great care in your performance.

I think the most important thing to work on is the dynamic shaping of the melody. For example, sometimes I think you accent the opening note of the main melody too much. Or compare the volume of the opening triplet after the intro to the triplet in the next measure.

There are other notes that shouldn't be accented at all that are accented in your performance(the first G at around .22 for example).

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/12/09 07:25 PM.
ab-ster Offline OP
OP Offline
@Damon: Thanks!

@cruiser: Thanks. I used Canon VIXIA HF200 to record the video. For audio, I used M-Audio Pulsar II matched pair, Tascam US-122 soundcard and recorded straight to PC. I used compressor to trim the loud sound and bring the level up, then Freeverb2 to add grand room ambience.

@pianoloverus: Thanks for your comments on dynamic. I didn't pay attention to the dynamic markings on the score and went with my own feeling. I'll study that when I come back to work on this piece again.

Originally Posted by ab-ster

@pianoloverus: Thanks for your comments on dynamic. I didn't pay attention to the dynamic markings on the score and went with my own feeling. I'll study that when I come back to work on this piece again.

Actually it's not the dynamic markings in the score I was talking about since I didn't have the score in front of me. But if you listen to only the melody I think that playing the first triplet f or ff and the second one pp would not make sense. Also, the first G I mentioned should not be accented because it sounds wrong(in a descending second the lower note is rarely accented). If you sing a melody, almost everyone get's things right almost automatically, so it can be helpful to to this. Also helpful is to ask yourself "What is the most important note in within a group of notes or a phrase?".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission