2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
All of this reminds me of the scene in the Wizard of Oz where the Wizard says to the Lion, "What you need is a testimonial!" The Wizard hands the Lion a parchment and the Lion's life is forevermore changed.

On the subject of blind tuners, customers have said to me many times, "I thought you had to be blind to be a piano tuner. The one we had when I was growing up always was".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
I believe I know who Ron is talking about. Yes, he struggled to get the tuning exam passed. It took four attempts. He struggled as an immigrant to this country, facing a language barrier and a lot of rejection and discrimination against him. .

Ah, ... no. And I'm not talking about "perfection", I'm talking about 5 cents, 8 cents, 10 cent differences, creating that interesting "reverse well" type of temperament that's been written about many times before.

I'll be tuning a Winter spinet in an hour or so. I intend to put as much effort into making it sing that I do with the larger pianos used for concerts. And it WILL play nicely - sure the bass will be constrained by the dictates of design, but the middle and top blended together.... sublime. If a little voicing will help, I'll include some time for that as well. I'll be in and out in an hour, the partnership with my Verituner making effecient use of time and skills.

THAT's why my clients keep me and recommend me to friends, not because of any test I may or may not have taken, or which group I may belong to...

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Way to go Ron. Its nice to see a techs "patent" personal touch on a tuning when it turns out alright. It gives credence to the artistic nature of the work.

Rowan Atkinson quote:

"I, on the other hand, am a fully-rounded human being, with a degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the School of Hard Knocks, and three gold stars from the Kindergarten of Getting the **** Kicked Out of Me”

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
For my part, I'm very gratified to see the overall civil discourse on this topic...we've all come a good distance from the more edgy past...thanks, all!

RPD (my initials...and if my last name started with "T" I'd be in such trouble LOL!!)

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh yeah, I agree totally Rick. I actually find it quite interesting reading some of the other posts such as Emmery's and some other intelligent ones. The others we just ignore. grin Sorry, can't be all to serious now, can I???

As for what you are referring too, for my part, I most certainly do not want to get into that one again either. Once is enough for me! smile

You're probably right about your initials! wink

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When "we" mention that "we" ignore something, "we" aren't really ignoring it at all, are "we"?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
All of this reminds me of the scene in the Wizard of Oz where the Wizard says to the Lion, "What you need is a testimonial!" The Wizard hands the Lion a parchment and the Lion's life is forevermore changed.

Well Said!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks Ron and Jeff. Ron, I would treat the Winter spinet just as you do. I carry my RPT card in my wallet but in 26 years, I've never shown it to a single client. In that same amount of time, there may have been a half dozen people who have asked me if I was a PTG member. I have mentioned it many more times, of course but usually it does not come up. It is on my bill, on my reminder cards, in my phone book ad, etc.

Interesting about the "reverse well". All I can say is, "See, I told you so." I'm not making that up. There is a reason why it occurs and I identified it long ago.

Regarding the person whom I thought you may have been referring to, his "testimonial" was very important to him. I guess, just as it was for the Lion. Let's not discourage people who desire it from getting it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Let's not discourage people who desire it from getting it.

Likewise, let's not disparage those who do not desire to get it.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll say this much.

If I had a clientele where I absolutely needed to be on the "bleeding edge" all the time, I would apply to the Guild. For instance, if I was employed by a piano store chain where there were dozens of different brands of new pianos, many of which had non-traditional design features, I could certainly see the benefit.

I'm just a small town tuner. The overwhelming majority of pianos I work on are of traditional design. My sense of these pianos and of my customers is that they are best served by my continuing to concentrate on the fundamentals, such as continuing to refine the quality of my tuning, hammer technique, regulation, and repairs. Of course, it's not as sexy as being on the bleeding edge. But, it seems (to me) to be what's wanted here. Just a plain, traditional, (usually smile ) reliable tuning service folks can just call. Though I do make an effort to keep up by incorporating modern tools like the Verituner, and by reading and researching.

Just because I didn't join the PTG, please don't assume that I don't respect the choice.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 08/20/09 01:52 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joe:

We are not too far from each other (in a number of ways....) If you get up this way I hope you will let me know. I plan to do the same if I find myself down your way.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
When dealing with a new design feature, it is better to get information from the company that developed it rather than someone who is no more likely to know about it than you are.

Semipro Tech
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Confused;
Bleeding edge as opposite the cuting edge?? - cutting edge is generally up on all the new stuff?? Bleeding edge could be those that benefit from one that is on the cutting edge??? Sorry if I misunderstand.
Please give some examples of non-traditional design features on new pianos that would present a challange that would need cutting edge skills.
What is unique about honing ones tuning, repair and regulation skills?
The Verituner is a modern tool - I will give that.
I am also a small town tuner with considerable demand for traditional craftsmanship and much attention paid to the fundamentals. I use this craftsmanship on the old clunkers, old classics and the new store models - Chinese, German, Korean, American etc. I am not seeing the differences - what am I missing?
Maybe something like removing the bottom board from a Sauter Peter Maly upright - That one wrequired a call to the factory.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Gene,

I'm thinking of things like graphite soundboards, glass soundboards, unusual action design modifications, factory bulletins regarding recalls or alterations that need to be made, Wapin bridges, Steingraeber bridges... I always assumed that the PTG was used by manufacturers and other developers (who may themselves be members) as an information distribution center for novel and experimental technologies and approaches that are about to be released.

I'm concentrating on traditional pianos of traditional design made (for the most part) with traditional materials... because that's what I have here. I'll leave the exotic pianos to you guys (and gals). You have my full respect for tackling this. Seriously. It's just not where I need to go. Yes, I use a Verituner and some other modern things, but for the most part I'm still "old school" as a tuner. Now, in other things, I'm not so old school.

Also, I'm developing a bit of arthritis in my wrists. So, I'm in night school... just in case. I don't know if I intend to continue tuning full-time, go part-time tuning and part-time something else, or what. For now and the next few years, it's definitely FT. Running my business and going to night school is quite enough to keep me busy... Especially for an "old dude." But, I am enjoying life. What an adventure!

Jeff,

I had to look up Bradford County. You're in NE PA; I'm in SW PA in Allegheny County. If you do come this way, let me know. I'll do the same.

Last edited by daniokeeper; 08/20/09 09:38 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gene, I was going to sleep, but I thought of a few specific questions for:
"Please give some examples of non-traditional design features on new pianos that would present a challenge that would need cutting edge skills."

When pitch raising a piano with a glass soundboard 1/2-step, do you need to use a different procedure than on a traditional board?

Why? Or, why not?

Do they have crown?

Do they lose crown?

Do they have negative crown?

How sharp is too sharp?

What about the procedure for lowering the tension?

Special destringing procedures?

Procedures for pulling the piano up to pitch after restringing?

Cleaning recommendations?

Now, the same questions re a graphite board.

Also, can you permanently damage the tone of a graphite board by tuning too sharp? Can you make it lose crown?

Procedures for replacing split bridges on both kinds of boards?

If either type of board comes detached from the perimeter?

I'm sorry. It's late and this is all I can think of for the moment. I'm heading back to sleep.

Thanks,
-Joe

Last edited by daniokeeper; 08/21/09 01:05 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission