2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Serge88

Loved it! It's a beautiful piece, and you brought it out nicely. I enjoyed seeing your dog in the video too, he/she is lovely smile . It seems nothing could distract you, I know I would have totally lost concentration there. Thanks for sharing the vid.

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
24. Eighty8 - Love Is Here To Stay
Love Gershwin... such timeless music. I'm good.

25. Copper - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Good intro, played with feeling, enjoyed.

26. JohnFrank - MInuet in A Minor
JF, well played. I prefer this pace.

27. grotrianer - Intermezzo 118/2
Very nice! Most enjoyable to listen to your performance and piano. Bravo!

28. ddh - Daniel - Prelude, opus 28 no 6

...and the reward for your perseverance is beautiful music. Well done.

30. rustyfingers - Maple Leaf Rag & 32. jotur - Cathy Turner - Cabri Waltz

Can I just say- I think partying with you two would be a blast! Let the good times roll.

33. pianonewb - Amazing Grace
I have never met anyone that could can do what you have accomplished in (4) months. Are you working with someone who is teaching you those chord progressions and runs? If indeed it is all ear - it is golden! Good vocals thumb

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
34. dalcyonir - Debussy-Clair De Lune
Lovely performance- only a slight distortion in the recording ( I also tried the download). I tried the video link, but it was a Bach recording.

35. steveMac / Steve Mclean - Minuet BWV 114
(3) months? I think we either have some ringers here or some very gifted people. Very nice!

36. Bunneh (Daniel) - D. Scarlatti - Sonata K.32 L.423
Well done with this piece. You have a good feel for Scarlatti.

37. Euan Morrison - Truman Sleeps
Euan,
This drew me in and held me captive to the very end and left me wanting more... please?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: AnthonyB

I had watched your youtube video earlier and commented there. I really think you did an exceptional job!

Performer's name: z32/Ben

I have listened/referenced your Alfred's Book 2 recordings when I was working on that book and I always felt they were of amazing quality. This is along the same lines: what a great and beautiful performance! It was soft and delicate, very tranquil and soothing. You are very talented; thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
11. Riddler (Ed) - Take Five Outstanding job on this piece in 5/4 time with bass and drums. Regading someones question about a TV theme, there was a TV series called “mission impossible” that was also in 5/4 time.

12. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Baby Mine I’m not familiar with this piece, but I knew that Ned Washington writes some great stuff. Nice job.

13. Schubertian - 'Raindrop' Prelude (Op 28 #15) One of my favorite pieces played very well.

14. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Dear You Good job.

15. Ken. - Cavalry Gallop, Op. 27, No. 29 I was told that a composer would rather you get the overall spirit of the piece right than every note. Well played.

16. Ten Left Thumbs - Joe's Jump Enjoyed your solid syncopated rhythm.

17. Euphonatrix - 2-part invention #14 in Bb Major Nice job.

18. Serge88 - Don't Know Why Thanks for sharing. Was it much work to put the video together?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: setchman - Eric Krueger

That was great! The flow and sound was very appropriate for the feeling of the piece. Thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
S
S

(3) months? I think we either have some ringers here or some very gifted people. Very nice!

I wish i had been playing longer, much longer in fact. I will take that aa a compliment though, thank you.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Carl Mc

I have never met anyone that could can do what you have accomplished in (4) months. Are you working with someone who is teaching you those chord progressions and runs? If indeed it is all ear - it is golden! Good vocals thumb

Gee, thanks. blush I'm a guitarist (for 20+ years) so I'm not new to playing an instrument. I just learned the chords(from "Piano Chords and Scales Made Easy") and put them together. I'm also paying careful attention to the pianist at church (I'm the songleader, so I have a good view)and stealing everything I can from him. He's an incredible player. There's no one in the area that can play gospel like him. I'm blessed to have his influence, though indirectly.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
There's no one in the area that can play gospel like him

Mike, just keep doing what you are doing and soon there will be two. I think what you have accomplished is just amazing. I hope we get to hear you in the next recital.

H
H
Seems like everyone brought out their A-game when facing the Red Dot this time around. Kudos to all the participants, and Monica, AB Forum Recital and Mahlzeit for all the work putting it together (special thanks to Monica for putting my submission in while I was vacationing). I'm trying to get through the rest of the recital today.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I am hard on myself so that I work harder on the little things. Some days, I'd rather just muddle my way through a bunch of things, but the criticism and focus really helps me get better and motivates me to play better, or at least try to play better. Like any creative process, it's never really done for me.

Apologies for some of these comments. I kept listening to stuff and saying, "wow that was really nice" again and again. Everyone really did a great job.

01. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Prelude in F# Major Op.33 No.7
Very confident and beautiful playing dannylux.

02. Mr Super-hunky - London Blue
Seems like the sight-reading is coming along quite well.

03. EJR (Elwyn) - Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Awake, the Voice commands) BWV 645
Very nice. Brings back a lot of memories for me as I started my lessons on organ. Mistakes be damned, it was a pleasure to listen to.

04. mahlzeit - Recital 15
Always impressed by the composers in the group.

05. Sam Smith - Traumerei
Traumerei is indeed a tricky piece to memorize. Probably why I haven't done that yet. smile
Nice playing. Kinderscezen is some of my favourite piano music.

06. TrueBeginner - Solitude
I'm still amazed your putting this stuff together after two and a bit years. Nice job.

07. Peyton - From Foreign Lands and People
Hurray for more Schumann!!!! A nice interpretation of one of my favourite little Schumann pieces (little in size, not technical issues, all of Kinderscezen is tricky). Maybe a bit heavy on the rubato for my tastes, although I'm not one that should be throwing that rock. smile

08. DragonPianoPlayer - Serenade
Pretty. Really pretty.

09. HomeInMyShoes - Songs Without Words, Op. 19, No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song)
I must remember what I ate next time. Someone remind me.

10. pianahman / Richard - Sinfonia No. 11 in G minor (BWV 797)
Why does it seem like I'm saying really nice for everthing. That was gorgeously played. Rich and filling.

11. Riddler (Ed) - Take Five
So many genres of music to love. Very entertaining. Nice phrasing.

12. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Baby Mine
Quite a fine recording. You should be proud of your work on this.

13. Schubertian - 'Raindrop' Prelude (Op 28 #15)
I think I would have preferred sans thunderstorm, but the playing was very good and the interpretation was nice. I enjoyed it a lot.

14. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Dear You
Not boring at all with the description Mati. Part of the fun is what people see in the music and why they like it. We all love the piano, why do we love the songs we do?

I really liked this piece. It sounds, as you sort of put it, that you can just lose yourself in the cycles.

15. Ken. - Cavalry Gallop, Op. 27, No. 29
I was beginning to think stacatto was illegal in recitals. Nice and crisp and lively. It could be a bit zippier, but it was still plenty lively and fun.

16. Ten Left Thumbs - Joe's Jump
Loved the turns in the right against the left hand. Really fun. Doesn't sound like ten left thumbs to me.

17. Euphonatrix - 2-part invention #14 in Bb Major
Bach, Bach, Bach, how you vex me. Nicely played Euphonatrix.

18. Serge88 - Don't Know Why
Nicely played. A few pauses, but nice and musical. Very enjoyable.

19. AnthonyB - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
All of you people are going to make my wife insist I learn some Einaldi. Very impressive for less than 2 years.

20. z32/Ben - Kiss the Rain
It doesn't sound like you're too bad at the piano thing right now. Nice feeling and a nice song.

21. Waltz - Canon in D (Variations)
I'm not the biggest Pachelbel fan, but this was nicely done. Less than a year, heck even less than five years, it was nicely done.

22. setchman - Eric Krueger - His Gift
Such beautiful playing. The little turns, the rises and falls. Maybe a pause or two that I found a bit awkward. I found a couple of breaks either not held long enough or not quick enough and others were very well thought. A wonderful composition.

23. bluekeys - Misty
Misty. A great standard. And well played. It's easy to get away with things in less known works, but it was hard to find much at fault here.

24. Eighty8 - Love Is Here To Stay
Nice playing and some nice dynamics.

25. Copper - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Nice.

26. JohnFrank - Minuet in A Minor
A wonderful little Minuet. Nicely played.

27. grotrianer - Intermezzo 118/2
Brahms, yet another composer on my list to look at some music from some time. Nicely played. Some really beautiful moments.

28. ddh - Daniel - Prelude, opus 28 no 6
I've worked on this piece more than a few times and never really been happy with where I got to. Good job on this one. A couple of pauses, but a nice interpretation and some nice dynamics.

29. IPIBAHN Sandy - Prelude in E minor
Another Chopin that I've never been happy with any work I've done on it. Nicely played.

30. rustyfingers - Maple Leaf Rag
Takes me back to playing Dr. J basketball on the Commodore 64. Thanks for the memories. I really enjoyed that.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: bluekeys

That was absolutely great! You played it, even if strictly by the score, very expressively and the tempo was right on. I really enjoyed this; thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Homeinmyshoes for the nice comment

[Linked Image]
H
H
The rest of the comments. Again, unbelievably great job by everyone this recital.

31. Carl Mc - Amazing Grace
I've always liked this song. Nice rendition.

32. jotur - Cathy Turner - Cabri Waltz
It made me want to go for a spin on the dance floor with my sweetie. Thanks

Too close to the other one in the list so I went to the bottom and listened to a few other entries first. Keep at the improvisation, you've got some great stuff going on in their. Nice vocals as well. 4 months. I don't believe that for a second. smile

Great progress pianoweb.

34. dalcyonir - Debussy-Clair De Lune
A great job on some difficult key changes in a piece that is deceptively tricky. What the recording levels, it's a bit on the hot side.

I've been working on this one as part of my go back and figure out how to play Baroque and Classical music properly approach. You play it a lot better than I do. Good job. [curse you Bach]

36. Bunneh (Daniel) - D. Scarlatti - Sonata K.32 L.423
One year? That was very impressive. As your technique improves you'll come back to this and play it entirely different. I liked this version. I could definitely hear the Baroque/Harpsichord influence you picked up.

37. Euan Morrison - Truman Sleeps
You must change to stay the same, or something like that is what Philip Glass said. I loved the Truman Show and I remember this song from it. Great playing.

38. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 Mike White - Chopin Waltz Op 64. No. 2
Excellent job on a great piece. I'd say leave it for a half year and then come back to it. You'll be able to brush up those tricky bits faster and while you'll have a ten day warm up period coming back it will seem fresher.

39. Monica K. - Melodia Africana III
Well, I think the Einauldi's are starting to win out in the most by a composer category. This was a cool listen and nicely played Monica. It does seem a bit frenzied and the ending left me quite stunned. It just drops off? No diminuendo? No brief return to the main?

40. Glen R. - Minuet in G Major (No. 2)
Nicely played Glen. Good contrast between the legatos and staccatos and nice dynamics.

41. GregF - Not Mad at the World Anymore
Quite pretty.

42. Jazzwee - Very Early
Quite nice. The changes do sound quite tricky.

43. praisehimau, Stephanie - Prelude In C Minor, wtc Book II
I keep thinking I should work towards a grade 7 or grade 8 Royal Conservatory exam, but I don't have the attention span to keep at that. Nice playing. You brought back some old organ memories for me, although I could never play counterpoint that well. Best of luck on your Grade 8 journey.

44. WJ3 - Minuet in G Major/Minor De Capo
Very nice playing. Nice selection of contrasting the Major and Minor Minuets.

45. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - I've Got You Under My Skin
I was very close to using a fallback this time around. A very enjoyable listen.

46. tekkie - Cavatina
It sounds familiar, but I'd never have been able to name it. Thanks for a great submission.

47. GreenRain - Venetian Gondola Song (Op. 30 No. 6)
Some days I think I'm stalking your repertoire. Next time I find myself wondering what to work on I'll just check your signature. smile

Nicely handled. It's a tricky one. Trickier than op. 19.

48. TTigg / Steve C - A Good Question
That was very pretty. Not knowing the original version, I found your tempo and phrasing quite nice.

49. epf - Andaluza (or Playera) #5 from 12 Spanish Dances
Very pretty. More styles I love, but never play for some reason.

50. Beethoven Fan - Put out the Light
This does not sound easy. It's good to have goals. Some nice work here and the piano sounds great for the style.

51. Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni
My wife really enjoyed this one. Well played.

52. Mar_red - Manhã de Carnaval (Carnival)
I really enjoyed this. Love the style of music. Nicely played.

53. Mark... - Song Without Words
Humble is good. Very nice.

54. Ode2Joy - Bagatelle Op. 33 No. 3
Impressive. Only 18 months you say?

55. kokomo61 - Blues in Three
Really fun. Could stand to be a bit smoother in places, but overall really nice.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Homeinmyshoes.

I simply have good taste, i cannot help myself... smile

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes

Well, I think the Einauldi's are starting to win out in the most by a composer category. This was a cool listen and nicely played Monica. It does seem a bit frenzied and the ending left me quite stunned. It just drops off? No diminuendo? No brief return to the main?

Yeah, the abrupt ending is a favorite trick that Einaudi likes to play in a lot of his pieces, along with the "play an arpeggio but stop right before you hit the tonic note." laugh

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
38. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 Mike White - Chopin Waltz Op 64. No. 2
I thought it was a good effort on a difficult piece.

What's all the fuss...piece of cake.
It is fast! You sure the doorbell didn't ring at the end? Great job Monica.
Note to self...never in a million years.

40. Glen R. - Minuet in G Major (No. 2)
Very nicely played, thank you.

41. GregF - Not Mad at the World Anymore
Quite lyrical, good job.

42. Jazzwee - Very Early
Welcome to the recital... nice smokey feel.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone for submitting. I now have dozens of new pieces in my iPod rotation, and in many cases, you have introduced me to a new composer / genre I want to learn more about.

Two general observations:

1. I love the diversity of instruments. It is very telling to me to listen to acoustic pianos I like (I am finding myself to be a big Mason and Hamlin fan). Digitals, too. When I was shopping, I found I preferred the Yamaha sound over what I eventually purchased. More than once, I listened to a recording, liked it, then learned the performer had simply recorded straight from their Yamaha DP with no changes to the sound.

2. I am finding there is quite a range in intepretation of the word "beginner". I would qualify many, if not most of you, as at least intermediate, if not advanced. And yet, I also have to remind myself that it will take thousands, perhaps ten's of thousands of hours to reach whatever potential I (we) have. And unless you are on a mission like our friend Mark, that will be many, many years. So these recitals are a necessary periodic reminder for me that there is a long way to go. Sort of resets perspective, if you will, and is a reminder that we are all on a journey.

Originally Posted by jotur

51. Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni Very well done, and soothing. How's that (not so new) baby?

Cathy

Thank you, Cathy. Joey just turned 1, in fact, and is doing very well. Congrats to you on your recent public performance.
Originally Posted by rustyfingers

Very pretty. If it makes you feel any better, I never get a clean recording, of anything, despite umpteen plus takes. I’ve heard that the weavers of oriental rugs intentionally include mistakes because “only Allah is perfect.” This has become my piano recording motto. BTW, I didn’t hear your mistakes. I think we are often harder on ourselves than others are. Anyway, this was a lovely performance, and I’m glad you shared it with us.

This is apparently a problem for me. I mean no false modesty... I truly am amazed at the level of polish most participants achieve on remarkably difficult pieces. But your (and others') sentiments echo those of my wife, who says I am too hard on myself. Point taken.

Originally Posted by TTigg
Last batch.....
Excellent work!
These "long pieces" are incredibly difficult to nail in one take. I mean lets face it, if you're able to play anything this complex for 4+ (heck even 3+) mins you're doing bloody well. We all "edit" so don't be so hard, you're playing is very enjoyable to listen to and you played this very very well.. Thanks for submitting smile

SC

Thank you, SC. BTW, your progress in slightly more than a year (correct?) is truly phenomenal.

Originally Posted by epf

51. Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni Good job on this piece. You get a really nice sound out of your recording.

Ed

Thank you, Ed. After tinkering with a number of soundfonts and virtual pianos over the last year or so, I think I found one I like. In particular, I think it sustains very well, and is a considerable upgrade over the standard, unadulterated sound out of my piano. (Which isn't bad, mind you, just not a strength.)

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

51 Always Wanted to Play Piano - I Giorni, Ludovico Einaudi
You're too hard on yourself, my friend. You did a great job on this piece. I am relieved to see that mine is not the longest piece in the recital. grin

Thanks, Dennis, I'll try to chillax a little. Mind you, had I been able to play this at tempo, yours WOULD have been the longest. I'm looking for a shorter piece for next time, that is for sure.

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes

My wife really enjoyed this one. Well played.

Thank you. Strangely, my wife also used to like this piece, until she heard me practice it a hundred times.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Eighty8

Beautiful! Just beautiful. I really enjoyed listening to that; it made me relax for a few minutes; very well expressed. Thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano

Thank you, SC. BTW, your progress in slightly more than a year (correct?) is truly phenomenal.

Thank you for the kind words. Yep just over 1yr (14mths as I type this). I've been dealing with a new work schedule which has "messed up" my playing time. Still getting my MOYD dailies in but I've hit a little wall.

This recital and the every increasing friendly competition in #3 is helping to steer me back on course. thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
Originally Posted by kokomo61
Dennis,
Good lord, it's a reggae tune. I always liked Peter Schickele's (PDQ Bach's) description of 5/4. You could dance to it, if you had one leg shorter than the other.

laugh

I have a vision of a five-legged cat with two legs shorter than the other three!

Ed

Just saw this: apparently the song's composer, saxophonist Paul Desmond, left his royalties from Take Five to the American Red Cross.

http://themuseinmusic.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/fifty-years-ago-today-in-music/

Last edited by rustyfingers; 08/19/09 06:04 PM.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Copper

Very soft and delicate; gorgeously played! This was very enjoyable to hear. Thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission