2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
eweiss #1251532 08/18/09 06:11 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
It it just happened once in a while, it would be different, but nearly every potentially interesting thread gets knocked off topic by people chewing into each other.

Take the case of Betty's "octave that always has five black notes and seven white ones". Or whatever she said.

If you want to tear that apart, just for the pure fun of it, sure, you can.

An octave is two notes. We all know that.

But we also all know that a one octave scale, meaning starting from the tonic and ascending or descending to the "next tonic note" is the basis for the most elementary explanations in most books about scales.

Now, we can then have a new flaming discussion about whether "an octave" really means "an octave span" or "an octave range". Spilt a hair, then split the splits. Ad nauseum.

Is there anyone so stupid as not to get the point? A C scale, starting on C and ending on C, counting the notes played and all notes "skipped" will either equal 12 or 13, depending on whether or not the duplicated C is counted, or not.

But it still amounts to key counting, somehow, whether by tetrachords or some other method (whole and half steps), there is a pattern of whole and half steps that is the same for all major scales (and so on), and is anyone really having problems with this? Is anyone who does not know most of this already going to have trouble understanding how it works?

The problem is the logic behind how fingerings are chosen, when they should be stricty adhered to (the conventional fingers) and when alternate fingerings are going to work better.

The rest of what is going on is simply assinine.

eweiss #1251533 08/18/09 06:12 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gary D.
God, I'm getting sick of the back-biting, posturing and basically catty comments here.

Why don't you guys give it a break and contribute instead of engaging in this endless and unproductive sniping.

I agree, but it is just rude to pointedly ignore a question that is asked. It is even more rude to continue to tell people that they are being ignored. I have had more than a couple questions go unanswered.

Originally Posted by eweiss
Really? I'm enjoying the show.

Nothing like a good old-fashioned cat fight to get the juices flowing!

But yet, it is entertaining at the same time smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Gyro #1251535 08/18/09 06:16 PM
C
C
Yeah, I hate scales too...

But really they are very useful when it comes to knowing music. When you look at a piece of music, you'll automatically know what scale the notes in melody are derived from.

I have a list of scales that I have been learning each in all 12 keys for the last 2 weeks. I practice these every day. They turn out to be real useful and as boring as they are, (you) should learn them too:

Superlocrian
Locrian
Lydian
Lydian Augmented
Lydian Dominant
Mixolydian b6
Harmonic Minor #5
Phrygian Major 3
Phrygian
Locrian natural 2nd )
Melodic Minor
Augmented Scale
Whole Half Diminished
Half Whole Diminished
Ukrainian Minor
Dorian
Dorian b2
Harmonic minor(I had to relearn it)

I already knew the aeolian mode, ionian and mixolydian modes in all 12 keys. I had to relearn melodic minor and harmonic minor because I forgot them. Lydian was familiar to me except that I didn't know it as well as I should have.

Does anybody know whats the difference between Harmonic Major and Harmonic Major #5? Is there any difference between Phrygian Major and Phrygian Major 3?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by noSkillz
[...]

Does anybody know whats the difference between Harmonic Major and Harmonic Major #5? [...]

A sharped 5th?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Gary D. #1251541 08/18/09 06:22 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
God, I'm getting sick of the back-biting, posturing and basically catty comments here.

Why don't you guys give it a break and contribute instead of engaging in this endless and unproductive sniping.

Guys? Perhaps only two gals should be allowed in the teacher's lounge at the same time?

Gary D. #1251542 08/18/09 06:23 PM
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
I learned my scales later too, although probably about 9th grade. My teacher gave me a Hanon book, said to learn them, and I did. I do think they are a big help in building a firm foundation, but as I've said elsewhere, knowing the standard fingers for all major and minor scales (the standard forms taught) is the beginning of solving passage work, not the answer to it.

Isn't the key the word 'beginning' though? It may not be the end, but it certainly IS the beginning. I do not teach the standard fingering for F sharp minor, because I find it vastly illogical. Aside from that, I teach all of the standard fingerings, because they exist for good reason. That doesn't mean I insist that students stick to those in every musical composition. However, if they do not know them, they are generally relying on insufficiently honed instincts.

I once had a beginner student, who played me a C major scale as three groups of five fingers. Should I have left him to his own devices? Or did it make more sense to say how impressed I was that he could do it, but then demonstrate a conventional fingering? What purpose does a teacher serve- if not to convey the basics of conventional wisdom to a student? If a student can play a standard 343 pattern scale consistently and without any problems, they can do their own thinking and use whatever alternative they wish. If they have never understood the fundamental principle behind how to play a scale, they ought to learn it, before experimenting. The whole point of a teacher is to give students something beyond what can emerge from nothing but unguided experiments.

Teaching fingerings is not about closing doors to a student. It's about ensuring that they don't end up doing random stuff that might hold them back, simply because they don't know any better. At the very least they ought to be able to make up their own mind, whether they want to follow the principles. Something so important should never be witheld from a student.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 08/18/09 06:27 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi

Isn't the key the word 'beginning' though? It may not be the end, but it certainly IS the beginning. I do not teach the standard fingering for F sharp minor, because I find it vastly illogical. Aside from that, I teach all of the standard fingerings, because they exist for good reason. That doesn't mean I insist that students stick to those in every musical composition. However, if they do not know them, they are generally relying on insufficiently honed instincts.

This is the insane part of what happens in these discussion. You appear to be disagreeing with me, but I do exactly the same thing.

I once had a beginner student, who played me a C major scale as three groups of five fingers. Should I have left him to his own devices? Or did it make more sense to say how impressed I was that he could do it, but then demonstrate a conventional fingering?

I would have praised the five-finger solution but would have also demonstrated the conventional fingering.

What purpose does a teacher serve- if not to convey the basics of conventional wisdom to a student? If a student can play a standard 343 pattern scale consistently and without any problems, they can do their own thinking and use whatever alternative they wish.

I have yet to understand what a "343" pattern scale is…

If they have never understood the fundamental principle behind how to play a scale, they ought to learn it, before experimenting. The whole point of a teacher is to give students something beyond what can emerge from nothing but unguided experiments.

Again, I agree. This is what is making me shake my head. You appear to be assuming that I disagree with your points here. I don't.

Teaching fingerings is not about closing doors to a student. It's about ensuring that they don't end up doing random stuff that might hold them back, simply because they don't know any better. At the very least they ought to be able to make up their own mind, whether they want to follow the principles. Something so important should never be witheld from a student.

Again, I agree. Either extreme is wrong. One extreme is to guide students by giving them advanced and non-conventional fingerings before they have understood basic fingering. In general (with some unusual exceptions) I am against this. The other extreme is to teach ONLY the conventional fingerings then leave students to work out all others, on their own, at best relying on editors without understanding the logic the editors are using.

Gary D. #1251550 08/18/09 06:49 PM
G
G

It is getting increasingly difficult to keep reading but there are still some gems for those of us who are here to learn.

It takes longer and they are harder to find as the noise levels from the nonsense continues to rise but they are still there if you look for them. I for one am still able to learn a lot of things I didn't know.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I have a follow-up question:

Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi

I do not teach the standard fingering for F sharp minor, because I find it vastly illogical.

Which hand? Which minor scale? (Natural, harmonic, melodic?)

Akira #1251580 08/18/09 07:35 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Akira
I'm wondering if some of you teachers can help me over this hurdle?

I am just not seeing any benefit to practicing scales. Because I hate them, I find myself not practicing them everyday, trying to cram one weeks worth or practice into the morning of my lesson. Of course, as expected, its a disaster during the lesson. I think if I understood the "why," it would help with the motivation and practice. My teacher's explanation of the benefits have left unconvinced and I feel like I'm wasting my time. I know everybody (or at least, most people) practices them, but I just dislike doing them. Yes, I know like I sound like seven year old boy, complaining about eating his vegetables.

Any insights you may have to offer is appreciated.

There are two types of benefit offered by scale study.

The first is technical - regular, mindful scale work which has a purpose (not just mindless 'typing') will improve your technical skills.

The other is theoretical (as in music theory) - learning and understanding scales will assist in your conceptual understanding and is an excellent basis for music theory study, as well as "experience" in playing in all the different keys - even if what you are playing is 'just' a scale.

In other issues...while it is true that most beginning theory classes probably involve some sort of piano/keyboard lab so that there is a visual reference for the concepts being discussed, I am not particularly comfortable with a totally "piano-centric" approach to theory. I knew enough other instrument and voice majors in college to understand that conceptualizations of theory that were totally piano-centric were limiting and...really...irritated non-pianist musicians wink

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
J
J
Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
In other issues...while it is true that most beginning theory classes probably involve some sort of piano/keyboard lab so that there is a visual reference for the concepts being discussed, I am not particularly comfortable with a totally "piano-centric" approach to theory. I knew enough other instrument and voice majors in college to understand that conceptualizations of theory that were totally piano-centric were limiting and...really...irritated non-pianist musicians wink

AAGH YES YES YES I feel like an idiot for only just getting a grip on the idea of the Pythagorean comma. It's got to be the coolest thing EVER, and studying on a piano puts it so far under the radar that I remained ignorant of it for ages.

Anyone who doesn't know that the circle of fifths doesn't actually close shouldn't be teaching.

Last edited by J Cortese; 08/18/09 07:44 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by J Cortese

AAGH YES YES YES I feel like an idiot for only just getting a grip on the idea of the Pythagorean comma. It's got to be the coolest thing EVER, and studying on a piano puts it so far under the radar that I remained ignorant of it for ages.

Anyone who doesn't know that the circle of fifths doesn't actually close shouldn't be teaching.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with "close". Are you talking about the reason behind tempered 5ths?

Gary D. #1251603 08/18/09 08:14 PM
J
J

I'm not sure what you are talking about with "close". Are you talking about the reason behind tempered 5ths?

Yup -- how, if you go up by twelve perfect fifths (where perfect is the 3:2 ratio), you overshoot seven perfect 2:1 octaves. The numbers are easy as pie, but I finally sat down and read up on it, and it hit me like a hammer. Wait a minute ... the circle of fifths lands you seven octaves above where you were!

Except it doesn't.

It's just amazingly cool. This is what I meant when I said YES YES YES to the whole statement that a piano-centric approach to music theory isn't the only or even best way to approach it, and I can see why it would annoy other instrument players.

Last edited by J Cortese; 08/18/09 08:17 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
G
G
Hence the reason why you should always get a professional to tune your Piano, and never have a go yourself with an ETD and a calculator!! grin

ger271 #1251609 08/18/09 08:32 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong
Hence the reason why you should always get a professional to tune your Piano, and never have a go yourself with an ETD and a calculator!! grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
ger271 #1251611 08/18/09 08:37 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong

I'm just glad I don't have to get a G by opening the thing up, pressing down on the C strings 2/3rd of the way up, and hitting the C again!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Yup -- how, if you go up by twelve perfect fifths (where perfect is the 3:2 ratio), you overshoot seven perfect 2:1 octaves. The numbers are easy as pie, but I finally sat down and read up on it, and it hit me like a hammer. Wait a minute ... the circle of fifths lands you seven octaves above where you were!

Except it doesn't.

It's just amazingly cool. This is what I meant when I said YES YES YES to the whole statement that a piano-centric approach to music theory isn't the only or even best way to approach it, and I can see why it would annoy other instrument players.

You have no idea what a can of worms you are opening up. smile

I'm assuming you have never listened carefully to 5ths on a piano, after just being very well tuned, to hear the slow beat that indicates it has been tuned just a wee bit flat, to cancel out the problem you have mentioned.

You don't have to end up 7 octaves high. Multiply by 3/2 for the first fifth, then 3/4 to get an octave down from the next. Continue in the same manner, but use 3/4 for the last two. You will end up almost at your starting point, but at 446 and change.

446.0030365/440=1.0136432648

And there you go. smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I wholeheartedly agree about non-piano-centric music theory, and I think it can be introduced from very early on. Many students play in band or sing in choir, and, at least to me, the differences in what pitches can be produced by what instrument can be a lead-in to it. Music is, to me, about sound and rhythm. I knew for *years* that barbershop quartets and gospel groups sang harmony that I couldn't reproduce on my piano, at least not if it was tuned in any way I'd ever heard it tuned. But I didn't know what that difference was until much later.

Similarly, the day I figured out that a major scale was *not* a series of individual pitches which can be played on keys on a piano or particular fingerings on some other instrument was a good day for me. It opened up a whole new understanding of music building blocks - including the circle of fifths and, eventually, the Pythagorean comma. The circle of fifths isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a consequence of 5-finger positions on a piano, and I pity some poor kid who tries to convince a guitar player that has any knowledge that it is, much less try to explain to a guitar player who is tuning to what he hears of fifths why his last string is sharp. Can 5-finger positions be a part of the education towards understanding theory? Yes, but they aren't the theory. And the theory long-pre-dates the piano.

The whole concept of major and minor scales as a series of intervals lead to a much wider appreciation of scales - in the folk music based in Western Europe, in music of Eastern Europe (which I dance to often), in music of Asian countries, in jazz.

This is a piano forum. But teaching students *music* is a wider subject, and I think teachers here want to teach music, and not just pressing keys in response to what the eye sees on the staff paper. And, at least to me, piano is embedded in the much much broader subject of music, and is *not* the be-all and end-all of either music or music theory. Certainly not the only way to teach theory, and many times not the best way to do so.

I do think there's a lot of math, science, and physics involved in music theory. It's why I don't think the piano is the ultimate way to teach it. It's why, when I'm discussing music with other people I don't discuss it from a piano-centric viewpoint. Including when I'm talking to young students who are learning piano. After all, some of their parents are playing banjo in the same band with me laugh They are not too young to understand that what they are learning is a subset of what there is to learn.

Someone asked in another thread what most teachers would think if they got a student whose teacher had taught them that curled fingers were the only way to play piano, and the implication was that we'd mostly be dismayed. I feel exactly the same way when someone says that natural notes are the white keys on the piano. Sorry. That's just the way I feel. I'm dismayed.

So perhaps we're a little closer to being back on topic here smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Gary D. #1251642 08/18/09 09:22 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
WARNING:

Tuning is the 3rd RAIL of internet forums. I have never, EVER, seen a discussion about tuning remain friendly. When people start talking ratios and Hertz, I am GONE.

Run! Run for your lives while you still can!

Don't misunderstand me. Tuning is really cool, and the science of acoustics is a fascinating field of study. But on piano forums, it's EVIL. EVIL I SAY! laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
LOL.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission