2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I can't help but notice that the repertoire on the Grade 10 exam only awards 1 point per piece for the memorization (for a Beethoven Sonata?!). I thought memorizing was obligatory and they wouldn't mark a piece if it wasn't memorized. Is this a change in the new syllabus? I don't know how I'm going to memorize 33 pages of music, and I'm a bit worried about it. Any way I can skip the memorization?

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You have to learn an entire Beethoven sonata?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Arghhh :

No, for the Grade 10 Examination of the selected Beethoven Sonatas listed, one has to learn two movements; in some cases 1st and 2nd movements, in other cases 2nd and 3rd movements.

Pianogal37 :

I'm sure you've also noticed the warning : "Repertoire selections must be memorized. Please note that marks will be deducted if music is used." (p. 90) That seems to me to be somewhat contradictory in saying that the pieces must be memorized, but that you can play with the score for a forfeit of points.

In the previous syllabus : "In Grade 10, there are no marks designated for memory. Memorization of repertoire is expected. If a repertoire selection is not memorized, then a portion of the mark for that selection will be deducted at the discretion of the examiner." The new rules give less "discretion" to the examiner for the possible number of points s/he could deduct for use of the score.

The points deducted for using music may not seem great - a total of 6 points out of the 56 possible points for repertoire - but that's a little over 10% of the points for the five repertoire pieces and could be significant between a pass or a fail or between any of the designated distinctions. Moreover, if you plan eventually to go for the ARCT examination, you "must achieve an overall mark of 75 or a minimum of 70 percent in each section of the Grade 10 examination." This begins to make the marks for memory more important.

Remember, too, that the Grade 10 Examination is a pre-requisite for the ARCT in which repertoire must be performed from memory. This is just a stepping stone for many pianists to the ARCT, and you shouldn't wait until then to have repertoire pieces memorized.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
T
It isn't mandatory, not even in the previous 2001 syllabus, as the person above stated. It's only ARCT that memorizing is mandatory or else you fail the piece. Trust me, you will want to keep those marks, many people fail grade 10 because of 2 or 3 percent.

Pianist/Piano Teacher
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Arrgh,
You don't have to memorize the whole sonata if you are choosing one of the List B gr 10 sonatas, but I'm doing the Pathetique, which has been removed from the Gr 10 rep for the last few yrs, so I will have to either request special permission to do only the first 2 movts, or I will have to memorize all the movts.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
P
OP Offline
P
Anyone know if RCM would penalize me for substituting the ARCT sonata and only doing the first 2 movts? (ie. asking special permission?)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianogal37
Anyone know if RCM would penalize me for substituting the ARCT sonata and only doing the first 2 movts? (ie. asking special permission?)

Have you read the directions regarding substitutions on pages 130-31 of the Syllabus?

It clearly states on page 131 : "Grade 10 : One repertoire selection from piano literature comparable in style and difficulty to the corresponding List A, B, or C (including two movements of a Sonata from List B of the ARCT in Piano Performance)

Since the "Pathetique" Sonata, Op 13 is on the ARCT list, you can play two movements from it for your Grade 10 examination.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
C
Put memory at the beginning of the learning process along with learning the music. That`s what we`re really doing when we learn new repertoire, so just do it completely. You`ll soon discover that memorization is not a big issue in most cases. We hear more effectively, are more aware of our bodies and the relationship of movement to sound, and are more adaptable when we don`t need the music in front of us. Being able to look at the keyboard gives us additional information that we can use in building a foundation to the music we are playing

I usually have a piece memorized long before I can play it well. I rehearse with score daily, rehearsing at very slow tempi. I perform and rehearse performing always by memory even at slower tempi; I rehearse with the score and focus my attention on it.

You can do it!

Steinway D, Pramberger 185, pianist-teacher
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Bruce,
According to my syllabus, it says all 3 movts (ie ARCT level) or special permission if you only want to do 2 movts.

Thanks for the memorization suggestions, memorization is scary for me. I think i will have to do it, as I need every point i can get on this exam!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianogal37
Hi Bruce,
According to my syllabus, it says all 3 movts (ie ARCT level) or special permission if you only want to do 2 movts.

Your question was whether or not you would be penalized, and the answer as I read is : "No", since the Syllabus clearly states that in Grade 10 you may substitute two movements from an ARCT Sonata for any Grade 10 List B Sonata. Yes, you have to get prior approval, but since the Syllabus states you can do it with approval, there should be no concern about being "penalized" for the substitution. Why would you think you would be penalized?

If, after all that and by some quirk, your request is not approved, the Syllabus advises you "Candidates are advised to prepare an alternate work in case the request [for substitution] is denied." I guess you knew that.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, Bruce.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission