2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dymnd Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a 7 year old and 9 year old (and 1 year old). My older kids are starting lessons this fall. I am about to purchase a piano, and am hearing mixed suggestions regarding a piano with "heavier" keys (i.e., an Essex in the Steinway line - apparently with a touch like a Steinway) versus perhaps a Kohler & Campbell or another piano. I was told that kids should learn on a piano of as high a quality as possible -- which included a "heavier" touch, making it easier to play on a grand. Although I am sure my oldest would be fine, I am concerned that my petite 7 year old (and eventually, my youngest) would be deterred if it is too "hard" to play. Am I making too much of this issue or is this a legitimate concern? I thank you in advance for any input here.

B
B
I started piano lessons when I was five and grew up on a 6 foot Steinway. I never had a problem. I would go with the best piano you can afford. Kawai and yahama are also good choices. I actually prefer heavier keys. Hope this helps some.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Get a piano in your price range with the heaviest touch.

If your younger child is struggling with it, then get a used keyboard just for learning purposes. I have colleagues with keyboards in their studio for the little ones (5 years old).

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dymnd
I have a 7 year old and 9 year old (and 1 year old). My older kids are starting lessons this fall. I am about to purchase a piano, and am hearing mixed suggestions regarding a piano with "heavier" keys (i.e., an Essex in the Steinway line - apparently with a touch like a Steinway) versus perhaps a Kohler & Campbell or another piano. I was told that kids should learn on a piano of as high a quality as possible -- which included a "heavier" touch, making it easier to play on a grand. Although I am sure my oldest would be fine, I am concerned that my petite 7 year old (and eventually, my youngest) would be deterred if it is too "hard" to play. Am I making too much of this issue or is this a legitimate concern? I thank you in advance for any input here.

A couple of point here. Piano technicians who are lurking can correct me if I have this incorrect. All modern keys are weighted almost identically, but the Steinway uses softer hammers and thus needs slightly more energy to obtain the same volume. The idea being that this gives the performer slightly more dynamic range.

The problem, as I see it, is that many Steinway dealers do not perform the necessary final piano prep which their factory expects. That is, voicing the instrument to the customer's playing environment.

The European/Asian piano comes with harder hammers from the factory, so have to be "pricked" if too bright in the owner's home. You pay your money, you take your choice.

All that said, I was in Seattle yesterday at Sherman-Clay, among other things, looking for instruments for two students.

The 6' Essex is very good. The 6'4" Boston is better, and the 6'2" Steinway is outstanding. Their relative prices were $24k, $38k, $52. Sherman-Clay is one of those dealers whose prices leave more room for negotiation. Read Larry Fine's "Piano Book" Annual Supplement for help in making a major purchase like this.

Good luck.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I don't see a problem with a heavier touch, and I think that at age 7 they will be developed enough to play without issues. Since they are starting out with relatively undemanding music (meaning that the music does not have demands of big sound), they will get stronger and be able to play the bigger repertoire when they themselves are bigger and stronger.

I'd go with the one whose sound and feel seems the best to you. It's a big investment, so go with whichever you like the best. The Essex sounds like it would be a great encouragement to your children. You want an instrument your children can grow into, not one they will grow out of.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
All that said, I was in Seattle yesterday at Sherman-Clay, among other things, looking for instruments for two students.

The 6' Essex is very good. The 6'4" Boston is better, and the 6'2" Steinway is outstanding. Their relative prices were $24k, $38k, $52. Sherman-Clay is one of those dealers whose prices leave more room for negotiation. Read Larry Fine's "Piano Book" Annual Supplement for help in making a major purchase like this.

Good luck.

John

John, you really have students willing to spend that much?

I have just sold one of my upright pianos for a very small sum. None of my students wanted it because it was "too expensive" and most of the emails and enquiries I got were from people who wanted it for peanuts. I even had this one guy who came to look with his pianist son. The lad was an advanced player in his final year of school studies with a view to auditioning at national conservatoires. He currently has a Kawai digital but his new teacher has told him to get an acoustic. They decided my piano was out of their price range as they were only looking to spend around £500!

Pianist and piano teacher.
M
M
Some people just have no clue what a piano costs. I try to educate my students so that they don't suffer from sticker shock. Like most things, you get what you pay for. A $500 acoustic piano most likely won't be much better than the digital.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Dymnd, I saw your post in the acoustic
piano forum where you're considering
acoustic uprights in the ~$6000
price range as a very first piano.
This is completely out of date.
We are now living in the Digital
Piano Age, and for $6000 you can
get a digital that is essentially
a concert grand, for example, something
like the Roland V Piano, or another
digital in the same price range.

If you want to connect to the
internet today, you don't
time-share on a mainframe
computer, you get a pc. If you
want to take photos or movies,
you don't bother with film cameras,
you get a digital camera. If
you want to type something, you
don't use a manual typewriter,
you use a wordprocessor. If you
want to travel, you don't hitch
up the horse and buggy, you get
in an automobile. You need to get
with the times with respect to
the piano.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris H.
John, you really have students willing to spend that much?

Yes.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Of course, the best advice is to buy the best piano you can afford. If by heavy action you mean the keys need more pressure to get a sound, I'd be very wary. I spent 45 years learning on a Baldwin with incurably heavy action. It made my hands strong but my sound harsh. Now that I have my Steinway, I'm working hard to unlearn all that force to get a sweeter sound. It's not easy. Also, you can't go only by brand names. The heaviness of piano action varies a great deal from piano to piano. Sometimes it is adjustable, sometimes not.

Best regards,

Deborah
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Chris, just an added note - I ran a quick search and there are 2,096 households who are homeowners and have incomes over $150,000 within a 10 mile radius of my studio.

Just wish they were all taking lessons!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Well we all know that what people can afford to spend and what they are willing to spend are two completely different things! I teach plenty of kids from wealthy backgrounds but none of them have ever bought a new grand piano.

As far as action weight goes I woudn't worry about it. If you are spending $6k on a new piano then the action will be just fine.

Pianist and piano teacher.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris H.
Well we all know that what people can afford to spend and what they are willing to spend are two completely different things! I teach plenty of kids from wealthy backgrounds but none of them have ever bought a new grand piano.

Their loss!

D
dymnd Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I went shopping again and spent time at Yamaha and at Steinway. I found the Yamahas more expensive for pianos of the same height. For the price, it is down to the Kohler & Campbell KC-247 (a 46" upright)(on sale through the end of the month for $4K) and the Essex EUP-123S (similar to the easier-to-find 123E). I took a musician friend with me and she oohed-and aahed over the touch of the Essex. The sound was clearly richer with the Essex -- in part because it was 1-1/2 taller. I can get the Essex on sale through the end of the month for just over $5K. I'm excited to get my new piano!!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You took my best advice right out of my proverbial keyboard-typing mouth. Take a pianist with you that you trust, and take their advice. Experience is the best teacher.

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. Enjoy.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
John v.d. Brook said:
A couple of point here. Piano technicians who are lurking can correct me if I have this incorrect. All modern keys are weighted almost identically, but the Steinway uses softer hammers and thus needs slightly more energy to obtain the same volume. The idea being that this gives the performer slightly more dynamic range.

Key weighting,(adding leads to the key to counterbalance the weight of the hammer, backcheck and whippen), should never be done "identically" for all pianos. The proper way to weight a key is to first determine the ideal strike weights of your hammers, as well as the weight of the whippens. Friction and leverage components also need to be determined. The idea is to minimize the amount of mass you add to the key in order to minimize the amount of inertia the player has to contend with during dynamic playing. Regarding New York Steinway hammers, while it is true that the hammers start out softer, Steinway has adopted a policy of soaking their hammers in lacquer in order to increase the volume, especially on concert grands. There is a way to instantly adjust the touchweight of any piano to suit the player's taste, so that those preferring a heavy touch can get it instantly, while those preferring a light touch, or anything in between, can have that as well.

Piano Technician/Tuner
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Most of the new Steinways I've played over the last 10 years, in the store, have had very soft hammers. Is your experience different? Maybe Steinway preps pianos differently for different dealers? Any ideas on this?

My tech told me that the down weight pressure was pretty standardized. I don't remember what number he gave. Obviously inertia changes with hammer weight.

In re: grands - is the action weight changes you're talking about done by using spring tension or by adding/subtracting key weight?

Thanks for educating us teachers!

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Most of the new Steinways I've played over the last 10 years, in the store, have had very soft hammers. Is your experience different? Maybe Steinway preps pianos differently for different dealers? Any ideas on this?

My tech told me that the down weight pressure was pretty standardized. I don't remember what number he gave. Obviously inertia changes with hammer weight.

In re: grands - is the action weight changes you're talking about done by using spring tension or by adding/subtracting key weight?

Thanks for educating us teachers!

Hi John,
When purchasing hammers from Steinway, my experience has been that they are hardened with lacquer. Those that come installed already on their bigger pianos are always soaked in lacquer as well. I'm not sure what their policy is for the smaller grands, like an "M". They may leave them soft for pianos they think will be going into a home setting, I'm not sure. Regarding down weights and upweights, these numbers have little to do with what the pianist actually perceives the touchweight to be, since they are measures of force needed to move the key from a static, resting, position. Inertia is much more a factor here, since that is what the pianist is perceiving as resistive, or not, while the action parts and key are moving. This has to do with all the components I mentioned earlier. The device I am referring to regarding instant change of touchweight is actually in prototype. It was created by David Stanwood and is called the Adjustable Leverage Action. As the name suggests, it works by moving the fulcrum of the key forward or back, thereby giving the player a lighter, medium or heavy action response, depending on where the fulcrum is adjusted to. This is done with two dials on the front of the keyframe. Essentially, it works by changing the action ratio, which, before now, was a very long and labor intensive procedure which left you with just one result-either a lighter, or heavier, action than you started with. There are only two in existence as we speak. One on David's own personal Mason and Hamlin "A" and one on my Steinway "M", but, before long, I believe this device will be an integral part of the piano industry.

Last edited by CC2 and Chopin lover; 08/25/09 12:12 PM.

Piano Technician/Tuner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission