2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I am tweaking with mine a little bit. I need to get some good wording in there to deal with makeup lessons. Still not exactly sure of how to handle it. Perhaps allow 2 makeups per quarter? Right now I have no limitation on the number of makeup lessons that can be requested. Sometimes we make them up, sometimes not, if a mutually agreeable time cannot be worked out.
Anybody changing policy wording for fall on any issues?

Piano Teacher
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I'm not giving out updated policies, but I did change it for the 4 new students I recently (and any future students). It states a $15 late charge (previously it was $10), 48 hour cancellation notice will be rescheduled (was 24 hr), and no more than 2 rearranged lessons per semester (didn't have a limit before).

I probably should change it for everyone, but some of the "old folks" have been with me for so long, they're used to much, much laxer rules lol

So technically I have 3 categories of students, the ones with the new rules, the ones with the last 4 year rules and the ones that barely have any rules. It's kind of a mess, but I'm afraid I will lose the ones that are so relaxed, and I don't want to. I'd rather do it this way.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My policy now states 'no makeup lessons', however... when I WAS doing makeups, my wording went something like this:

"Makeup lessons are available ONLY in cases of illness and if I am notified by 9:00am on the lesson day. Both conditions must be met before a makeup lesson will be given."

Sometimes I'd also tack on another sentence: "Makeup lessons are not given for sports events, out of town trips, doctor's appts, etc..." just in case my first sentence wasn't clear enough.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory}
48 hour cancellation notice will be rescheduled (was 24 hr), and no more than 2 rearranged lessons per semester (didn't have a limit before).

I'm curious as to why you went from a 24-hr cancellation notice to a 48-hr one. I could see it the other way around....

Music School Owner
Member of MTAC and Guild
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have a minimalist policy - no detailed rules or anything, just the basics. I changed the calendar and put this year's stuff on it, scheduled a few extra things, and will hand it out the first of September.

My make-up policy basically states that I will make up any lessons I miss. Lessons missed by students will be rescheduled if/when I'm available, but there are no guarantees. I also build 3 "extra" weeks into the schedule that I use for make-up lessons. Missed lessons that are not able to be rescheduled are not refunded.

I'm a firm believe that less is more. Parents that get argumentative or difficult are going to be that way no matter how much documentation you give them, so I prefer to keep the paper to a minimum and deal with those people face-to-face. I found the same to be true when I taught public school as well - the parents that get all upset about stuff tend to be the same ones who never read the stuff you send home, so why bother?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I'm curious as to why you went from a 24-hr cancellation notice to a 48-hr one. I could see it the other way around....
Because it seems an awful lot of people think that 24 hour is equal to a day.

As in "if I call in the morning, I won't have to pay for that afternoon".

I would come home to a message that was left on the phone at 8am, and find out I didn't have a lesson in 10 minutes. They would ask for and expect make-ups. "But you had a whole day's notice!" Urgh!

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've changed to a 12-month calendar from a 9-month/6 summer lessons policy. I now offer 40 lessons per year. I charge annual tuition and offer 3 payments plans from which they can choose: in full, by semester, or 12 equal payments. This gets rid of the make-up idea completely. If they miss a lesson, so what? There are more than enough weeks to get 40 lessons. I mark out specific vacation days on a calendar I hand out in the fall.

If they don't use all 40, there is no refund. If they go over the 40, I bill the overage.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
B
B
I changed my policy just a little. I added a $5 late fee foe every week payment is late. I also raised my rates. I think policy tweaking is a good idea, it keeps the returning parents and students up on things.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I thought about updating my policy, but this might not be the best time to do it. Some families are barely hanging on financially. I may or may not increase my fees.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No.

M
M
Not this year but I do send my policy out this time of the year as a refresher to students.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860
I am tweaking with mine a little bit. I need to get some good wording in there to deal with makeup lessons. Still not exactly sure of how to handle it. Perhaps allow 2 makeups per quarter? Right now I have no limitation on the number of makeup lessons that can be requested. Sometimes we make them up, sometimes not, if a mutually agreeable time cannot be worked out.

Barb, one of many reasons teachers are against makeup lessons is that you're selling your time and talents. You've already given them on lesson time and with a makeup, you're giving them a second lesson time, but for free.

Let's say, by way of example, that you give 12 lessons per quarter, and one makeup lesson. Divide the tuition by 13, and that's what you're really charging per lesson. To be fair to the other students, you should really offer them the opportunity to take that 13th lesson as well!

Setting a fee per month/quarter or what ever, but setting your fee to encompass the one or two makeups will make you look good in parents eyes, while not forcing you to give away your services.

I take the other approach - I tell parents that the tuition I charge anticipates their student will miss 3 lessons during the year, so if they attend all lessons, they've actually received a bonus.

Parents respond well to this, too.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
M
I did update my policy. I tend to do it every year, tweaking it a bit. My policy is now one page, front to back. It states my Payment Policy, Make-Up Policy, and Cancellation Policy.

I didn't really make huge changes, but added a statement at the beginning that tuition is paying for a time slot, and if a student does not come at their designated time, I was still prepared to teach that lesson. I only allow one make-up lesson per semester, on designated make-up days (which are Monday and Tuesday the week of Thanksgiving, and Monday and Tuesday the week on Christmas, when I don't teach regular lessons. Make ups for the Spring semester are done the first week in June).

If a student needs to reschedule a lesson and doesn't want to use up their one make-up or have already used it, they can swap lessons with another student. This requires at least 48 hours' notice to the student they are swapping with and 24 hours' notice to me. This helps to cut down on a lot of make-ups that cut into my personal time.

I also added a $15 late fee if payments aren't received by the 10th of the month, and that I won't continue lessons until the balance is paid. Hopefully this will help reduce my losses this year. I had 2 students who didn't pay and that I'll be sending to a debt collector most likely this week. That hasn't happened in quite a while, so I felt it was necessary for stronger wording.

I also changed it to include "Students who are no-shows for 2 consecutive lessons will be removed from the schedule. Students who do not show for 3 lessons overall in a semester will be removed from the schedule on the 3rd no-show." I have found a direct correlation between the students from whom I have not gotten paid and inconsistency in showing up for regularly scheduled lessons, so I'm hoping to reduce the chances of that as well.

It's interesting to note that the majority of my students do not need to have such a detailed policy. It is only for those few families that will try to take advantage that I need this. Although, I think having such a detailed policy lets them all know that this is a business and not something on the side and helps them to take it more seriously.

Last edited by Morodiene; 08/18/09 10:18 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It's interesting to note that the majority of my students do not need to have such a detailed policy. It is only for those few families that will try to take advantage that I need this.

Very true! [Linked Image]

For that same reason, though, I almost want to trim down my policy for the sake of the "majority." As it stands, it's one full page. I'm tempted to expand and write those 4-page policies for these problematic families.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Very true! [Linked Image]

For that same reason, though, I almost want to trim down my policy for the sake of the "majority." As it stands, it's one full page. I'm tempted to expand and write those 4-page policies for these problematic families.

I know! I find it very hard to keep it down to a minimum, while protecting myself against those for whom all the details are needed. So it's OK if not everyone reads it, because for most of them it doens't even apply, except for the make-up lesson part. I find that the majority of students will reschedule lessons quite frequently if they know they can. That puts lessons at the bottom-rung of priorities behind sports, school events, vacations, entertaining out-of-town guests, and my personal favorite, SHOPPING. I know for a fact that there are no make-ups for missing sports practices and games, and if I am lenient on my make-ups, then I will always lose when it comes to a conflict with sports.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by Barb860

Barb, one of many reasons teachers are against makeup lessons is that you're selling your time and talents. You've already given them on lesson time and with a makeup, you're giving them a second lesson time, but for free.

Let's say, by way of example, that you give 12 lessons per quarter, and one makeup lesson. Divide the tuition by 13, and that's what you're really charging per lesson. To be fair to the other students, you should really offer them the opportunity to take that 13th lesson as well!

Setting a fee per month/quarter or what ever, but setting your fee to encompass the one or two makeups will make you look good in parents eyes, while not forcing you to give away your services.

I take the other approach - I tell parents that the tuition I charge anticipates their student will miss 3 lessons during the year, so if they attend all lessons, they've actually received a bonus.

Parents respond well to this, too.

This makes a lot of sense, John. Sounds like an ideal policy to me.
My issue is that I am expanding my studio, quite suddenly actually. I used to have much more flexibility with my teaching schedule, having just 12 students for the past several years.
Then last year, I was down to 10 due to the economy. People here were cutting out music lessons. Fast forward to today: my son is off to college next month and I am finding myself with more time on my hands, plus the need to expand my business for the financial reasons.
It's a case of "be careful what you wish for, you may just get it". I am getting calls like crazy now for lessons and have a roster going forward of 20 students. I am very grateful for this, don't get me wrong! But the issue is: I was quite flexible before with the makeup lessons. I can still offer them now with a roster of 20, but the flexibility is not there like it was. What I have decided to do is this: offer makeup lessons on Fridays and Saturdays and put that in my studio policy, keeping it to one page as many of you have suggested and I agree with that.
Perhaps another thread could be started: "expanding your studio and the side effects of doing so"

Piano Teacher
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Does anybody really pay attention to our policy sheet anyway!?

I've discovered that even with a policy sheet, situations come up that I have to deal with directly, and to just pull out the policy sheet and say "There", is really rather childish!

So yes, I send out the policy sheet so my parent know that I'm a serious about teaching.

So realizing that some parents are just going to push the envelope and make some days unpleasant, I have the policy sheet, yes, but every situation is going to be different.

Some parents could walk all over me, but they have such a fun way about them, I won't care, while other will drive me crazy with other things I haven't thought about.

Let the games begin! smile

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I like short, simple, and to-the-point, which is why I started a 'no makeup' policy. I don't have to write a paragraph outlining the circumstances when a makeup would or would not be given and then have to decide which students should get one and which should not. Parents know when they sign up that there are no makeups.

I used to think differently, back when I was younger, hadn't taught much, had only a handful of students, and could easily fit a makeup into my schedule. Now, however, I'm not willing to give up my 'family time' or 'down time'.

Music School Owner
Member of MTAC and Guild
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

It seems like it's all in how you frame it, because as an adult student, I would absolutely LOVE a policy like this as well.

It would mean that if I have an emergency or get sick, I don't have to stress about missing piano or making up the lesson, because a few missed lessons are already built in (I would of course give ample notice, not talking about just not showing up)...

And... being the frugal maximizer that I am, it would be a really strong incentive to try not to miss any lessons, so that I would get the bonus lessons wink

I wish my teacher did something like this!

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I like short, simple, and to-the-point, which is why I started a 'no makeup' policy. I don't have to write a paragraph outlining the circumstances when a makeup would or would not be given and then have to decide which students should get one and which should not. Parents know when they sign up that there are no makeups.

I used to think differently, back when I was younger, hadn't taught much, had only a handful of students, and could easily fit a makeup into my schedule. Now, however, I'm not willing to give up my 'family time' or 'down time'.

When you went from a handful of students to a bigger roster, how did you change your studio policy? Did you simply put out a new one with "no makeup lessons" on it? I'm so tempted to do that but I don't think I can go from offering makeup lessons to not offering any at all. I would love to though cool

Piano Teacher
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission