2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Saw this small article at ehow.com and thought I'd share it here. So, here it is...

A solo piano concert can be a sublime experience, and you generally won't have to travel far to find one. Your own town probably offers many solo piano performances during the year. Here are some tips on how to enjoy a solo piano concert.

Step One
Find listings in your local papers or go online to find upcoming piano performances. Depending on who is playing, you may need to purchase tickets for the performance.

Step Two
Find out what pieces are slated for the performance and learn about the music beforehand. Find copies of the compositions on CD or the Internet and listen to them. This preparation gives you a basis for comparison, allowing you to notice the individual touches the soloist puts on the music and making the experience richer for you.

Step Three
Get directions to the concert and ask about parking arrangements. Arrive early, so that you can be in your seat before the concert begins. Depending on the importance of the concert, the front rows may be reserved for friends and family members of the performer.

Step Four
Show respect for the performer by not leaving your seat during the piano concert unless you have a genuine emergency. Many solo piano concerts have an intermission for audience members to stretch their legs and freshen up.

So what do you think? Good advice or not?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
that's great.

thoughtfulness and courteousness.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Step five: If you have a cell phone, turn it off.

Step six: If you think you already turned off your cell phone, repeat step five.

Step seven: Try not attend the recital if you have a case of whooping cough, bronchitis, or other condition that makes you sound like Mimi in the last act of "La Boheme."

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phlebas

Step six: If you think you already turned off your cell phone, repeat step five.

Step seven: Try not attend the recital if you have a case of whooping cough, bronchitis, or other condition that makes you sound like Mimi in the last act of "La Boheme."

You're right about the cell phone thing. Annoying as heck.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Good for some people, but I think many might take exception with step two.

Not everyone goes to a concert to learn or to be intellectually stimulated. Some people just want to go and enjoy the music, relax, "escape from real life", etc.

Also, it takes a relatively deep familiarity with a piece to be able to pick up on - let alone, appreciate - the differences between performances. That doesn't come, unless perhaps to advanced musicians, from listening once or twice to an unfamiliar work, and then going to a concert.

But more importantly than the ability of the audience to pick up on those differences, I wonder how many people actually don't care about the differences. As I said, they just want to hear good music.

But as I said, for others it's good advice - I'm interested in those academic things, as are many on this board. I just wouldn't state in a 4-step list of 'how to attend a piano recital' on that website, nor would I state it in such an authoritative way that, well of course, this will "make the experience richer for you." Perhaps on a different list which is entirely about ways that people enjoy the music at the concert, it would make sense - and one would perhaps include there ideas of *how* one becomes familiar enough with the music to do this - but it just seems out of place and a little high-brow to me (also, a little confusing, since it doesn't say *how* to become familiar with the music in advance) to include it on this list, together with "show up early" and "don't get up until intermission".

Sam
Originally Posted by eweiss

a funny thing happened at church..

a phone went off during the sermon and the priest turned toward the phone.. all huffy and all and said ""HELLOOOOoow"

maybe you had to be there.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think you left off "If you really like the composer and they have never visited the US before (and may never again) then fly across the country to see them."

The Ludovico Einaudi concert in San Francisco was a great experience. I do truly hope that Einaudi makes future trips to the US and hopefully plays somewhere much closer. I'm not sure how many of those trips I can afford. wink

I'm sure this is a case where Monica K. and I agree.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
I think you left off "If you really like the composer and they have never visited the US before (and may never again) then fly across the country to see them."

[...]

I somehow don't think that Chopin, Schubert, Brahms, or Debussy will be visiting the US. Although I "really like [them]," flying across the country to see them, then, wont' be an issue.

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by apple*
Originally Posted by eweiss

a funny thing happened at church..

a phone went off during the sermon and the priest turned toward the phone.. all huffy and all and said ""HELLOOOOoow"

maybe you had to be there.

Reminds me of my April Fool's prank this year.

Our musicology professor was lecturing on Mozart's "Grand Partita". About 5 minutes before the end of class, I called a friend of mine who is in the same class, and, as planned, his phone rang very loudly. As expected, the professor smiled and asked, in his usual manner, "Is it for me?"

"They say it's for you, and it's urgent!" my friend exclaimed.

Very surprised, the professor grabbed the phone and answered: "Hello?"

So I replied, with my phone now to my ear: "Hello, Professor _______? This is Mr. Mozart. I just loved your analysis of my Grand Partita today."

There was an awkward pause, followed by great hilarity.

It was quite fun. wink

Sam
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hehehehe, that was funny! smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
K
K
A couple more suggested additions:

- Please refrain from clapping between movements. This throws the performers off and disturbs other concert goers. We understand that you do not want to miss an opportunity to clap like a wind up monkey, but please be considerate of the musicians and other concert goers.

- Please save standing ovations for only the most spectacular performances. It is not necessary to show exuberant over-appreciation for performances that merely get through the notes. Standing for everything demeans true standing ovation quality performances.

I couldn't resist the sarcasm. I saw the Iceland symphony in May with Olga Kern (Rachmaninoff #2) and no one moved between movements. I'm not sure that people even breathed. A few weeks later I saw an A list US symphony and you couldn't keep people in their seats. In fact, as I remember, I think they stood before intermission.

Karen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Karen Bretz
- Please refrain from clapping between movements. This throws the performers off and disturbs other concert goers. We understand that you do not want to miss an opportunity to clap like a wind up monkey, but please be considerate of the musicians and other concert goers.

- Please save standing ovations for only the most spectacular performances. It is not necessary to show exuberant over-appreciation for performances that merely get through the notes. Standing for everything demeans true standing ovation quality performances.

Agreed. Many times there are announcements before the beginning of a performance in a larger venue (and some small ones!) and of all the pointless things they say that no one cares about, I always wish that they would take the extra 15 seconds to remind people to not applaud between movements.

Originally Posted by Karen Bretz
I couldn't resist the sarcasm. I saw the Iceland symphony in May with Olga Kern (Rachmaninoff #2) and no one moved between movements. I'm not sure that people even breathed. A few weeks later I saw an A list US symphony and you couldn't keep people in their seats. In fact, as I remember, I think they stood before intermission.

I saw Kern perform Rach's 2nd with the Cleveland Orchestra in Miami a few years ago, and there were people standing at the end of the 1st movement... Lame... As annoying and out of place as it was, it wasn't even deserved in my opinion. (I do like Kern, just didn't care for that particular performance.)

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
K
K
Ah Daniel, you remind me of another pet peeve - the spiel before the concert. Where did this come from? I don't remember them as a kid (20 or so years ago), even with the local community orchestra. They are usually done by a schoolmarm-type woman who seems to know little about music, but wants to go on about how wonderful the concert is going to be.

I don't think that the "emcees" are aware that clapping between movements is frowned upon.

Karen

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission