2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 15th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you. smile

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital 15 Response Template

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Recital 15 Online Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 15 zip 1
Recital 15 zip 2
Recital 15 zip 3
Recital 15 zip 4
Recital 15 zip 5
Recital 15 zip 6
Recital 15 zip 7

The zip files, along with past recitals, have also been uploaded to:

http://www.esnips.com/web/PWRecitals

Thanks to AnthonyB, a playlist containing all the YouTube videos uploaded as part of this recital can be found here:

Recital 15 YouTube Video Playlist

Let me express my greatest thanks to five very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; Bob Muir for working out the technical details of pulling together the recital and doing so tirelessly for the first six, count 'em, six, recitals; LaValse for hosting the zip files and recital software on his server; Copper for also hosting the zip files and trouble-shooting help; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dannylux / Mel
Experience:3 years 6 months after returning. Lots as a kid.
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Bortkiewicz Prelude in F# Major Op.33 No.7
Composer:Sergei Bortkiewicz
Duration:03:31
Source of music:Sheet music from pianophilia
Instrument used:Yamaha P140
Recording method:Line-out to computer sound card line-in. Audacity. No editing.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Sergei Bortkiewicz's (1877 Ukraine - 1952 Vienna) piano style was based on Liszt and Chopin, nurtured by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, early Scriabin, Wagner and Russian folklore. (Wikipedia)

This beautiful Prelude is typical of Bortkiewicz's style;
lush, lyrical and nostalgic.

It is in the usual ABA form, and starts with a simple melody and accompaniment in twos against threes in F# major.

The second section is in D major, marked Dolce. The left hand, running up and down the keyboard is great fun, but took an awful lot of practice.

The third section is back to the original melody in F#, but more elaborate, including twos against threes in the same hand, with a growing crescendo to a very loud climax. The piece fades away with a series of startling harmonies, but ends securely in F# major with three chords, ppp.

I hope you enjoy this lovely, little-known piece.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super-hunky
Title of piece:London Blue
Composer:David Lanz
Duration:04:11
Source of music:Original score
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom h2
Additional info:This is such a beautiful piece that I knew I had to learn it (as written!) the first time I heard it even though this is not what I usually do. My sightreading has gotten very poor since I have spent the last year and a half learning to play by ear so this was a great piece to perform while freshining up my sightreading. I am still somwhere between simply trying to hit the right notes (sightreading) while trying to add my own emotion to the piece at the same time. I may not have *nailed* it but hopefully I'm still making progress. I really enjoyed learning this piece, you may too.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:EJR (Elwyn)
Experience:Several years of lessons as a kid. This time around I have been playing again on and off for about 3.5 yrs and the last 15 months has been the most consistent.
Home page link:http://www.elwynrees.wordpress.com
Title of piece:Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Awake, the Voice commands) BWV 645
Composer:Bach Busoni
Duration:03:45
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP350 as a MIDI controller to Laptop running Modartt Pianoteq 3.05 software emulator and Asio4all drivers.
Recording method:Recorded in Pianoteq, exported as a wave, normalised and converted to MP3 with Audacity.
Additional info:Busoni's piano transcription of Bach's Organ Chorale Prelude. This is a work in progress and there's a number of key issues in addition to the wrong notes still to be resolved.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:mahlzeit
Experience:About 4 years
Home page link:http://www.originalsolopiano.com
Title of piece:Recital 15
Composer:me
Duration:02:56
Source of music:From the aether
Instrument used:Yamaha CP-33 digital stage piano
Recording method:MIDI from my digital piano into the computer, used SynthFont to convert to WAV using 4 different SoundFonts, mixed everything back together using Audacity and REAPER

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam Smith
Experience:a few years, 34 year lay-off, then a couple of years back making music.
Title of piece:Traumerei
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:03:13
Instrument used:Yamaha UX1
Additional info:It took me forever to memorize this - the same phrase, repeated eight times, with five different harmonizations...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrueBeginner
Experience:2 years and a half
Title of piece:Solitude
Composer:Self
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Self-composed
Instrument used:Casio Privia
Recording method:digital to PC via Audio-in, noise removal using audacity
Additional info:I made this recently when my dad was hospitalized. I think it reflected well my emotions. Sorry that it is a little rough, I did not have time to play it much.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Mostly self taught but been playing for about 40 years.
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmoHm08vLEs
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:From Foreign Lands and People
Composer:Schumann
Duration:01:21
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:I've been really enjoying working on Schumann's short pieces. They feel like little stories/adventures and consistently change for me the more I work on them. This one makes me think of a visitor, someone from far away that has traveled the world and he is telling his stories to the children in the house. Schumann's works seem deceptively easy to me. There is a lot of depth and nuance which of course always leaves me with much room for improvement.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:DragonPianoPlayer
Experience:I should say 42, but that wouldn't be quite right.
Title of piece:Serenade
Composer:William Gillock
Duration:02:44
Source of music:Sheet Music: "Lyric Preludes in Romantic Style" by William Gillock
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX310
Recording method:MIDI into Reaper rendered using Galaxy II Pianos - Vienna Grand
Additional info:No breakfast yet.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:HomeInMyShoes
Experience:12 + 3&1/2 years
Home page link:http://homeinmyshoes.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Songs Without Words, Op. 19, No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song)
Composer:Felix Mendelssohn
Duration:01:49
Source of music:Sheet Music (Alfred's Masterworks)
Instrument used:Roland Fantom X8...I dream of having an acoustic piano again someday
Recording method:Direct resample, normalized and converted to mp3 in Wavepad
Additional info:I absolutely adore this little piece. I can't remember who mentioned that they could play this and I looked it up and fell in love with it. I had a CD recording of the complete Songs Without Words, but this piece never really hit my brain until I looked it up again and started playing the first few measures. In my mind, it is on par with almost any Chopin prelude for being a quintessential Romantic piece.

The left hand really gives me the twitches. It's not hard, but since I don't tend to memorize things, the visual guidance my left hand needs to hit the notes correctly makes it an easy piece to stumble around in sometimes. But, it's a beautiful piece and I'm glad I spent the time on it. Although I'm pretty certain my wife has got to be absolutely sick of me practicing this one trying to get it sorted out.

Self-loathing. Okay, the double notes near the end are too bright, there's a bunch of missed notes and misssteps tempo wise and it's a bit muddy in the left hand in a couple of places. Enough of that though. Overall, I was happy with where my interpretations were leading me and it's got a nice range in dynamics.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:pianahman / Richard
Experience:7 years as a child; 8 years as an adult (after a 35 year hiatus)
Title of piece:Sinfonia No. 11 in G minor (BWV 797)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:51
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Technics PCM Digital Piano PX106
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:From Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia:

The Inventions and Sinfonias, BWV 772-801, also known as the Two and Three Part Inventions, are a collection of thirty short keyboard compositions composed by Johann Sebastian Bach, consisting of fifteen inventions (two-part contrapuntal pieces) and fifteen sinfonias (three-part contrapuntal pieces). They were originally written by Bach as exercises for the musical education of his students.

The collection was subtitled by Bach: "A faithful Guide, whereby admirers of the harpsichord are shown a plain Method of learning not only to play cleanly in two Parts, but likewise in further Progress to manage three obbligato Parts well and correctly, and at the same time not merely how to get good Inventions, but also how to develop the same well; but above all, to obtain a cantabile Style of playing, and together with this to get a strong Foretaste of Composition."

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; two and a half years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://home.roadrunner.com/~riddlereader/
Title of piece:Take Five
Composer:Paul Desmond
Duration:03:04
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This is a jazz standard written by Paul Desmond, saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck Quartet for many years. It is in 5/4 time, which was considered to be more or less experimental for a jazz tune at that time. It is a catchy tune which made it very popular. I heard Desmond play this live several times in the 60s and I have always wanted to learn to play it.

I am playing the piano, but the drums and bass were generated by Band-In-A-Box software.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)
Experience:About 42 years ago I began piano lessons, but I did not play for many if not most of the intervening years.
Title of piece:Baby Mine
Composer:Ned Washington/Frank Churchill
Duration:06:04
Source of music:sheet music with some "personalization"
Instrument used:Kawai GE-30
Recording method:Zoom H4 normalized with Audacity
Additional info:I haven't had lunch yet since it's only 10 am now. I am submitting a recording with which I am not completely satisfied. I will be out of town for a few days, and I am uncertain if I will be able to submit a better version. There are a couple of hesitations here, and the dynamics are not quite what they should be . . . but it may be my only chance to get something in.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Schubertian
Experience:8 years as child/teen; 30 years off; 3 years on again
Title of piece:'Raindrop' Prelude (Op 28 #15)
Composer:Chopin
Duration:05:01
Source of music:Wiener Urtext: hansen/Demus (eds)
Recording method:Estonia 190; H2; audacity
Additional info:Not my best recording but it does have the background noise of a thunderstorm - cool if somewhat corny - There is some story which George Sand made up about her and Chopin and von Bulow had rented an old monastery (in Italy perhaps?) which turned out to be a mistake - she and vB had to run into town for supplies but got stuck in the storm and when they got back Chopin was supposedly frantic that she was away for so long (pure soap opera) and to distract himself composed the famous 'raindrop' prelude -
My guess is he was glad to get a break from the two of them and their endless drama and get a few hours of solid composing time in before they got back -
Anyway, we all get the Raindrop prelude out of all this - someone on these forums made the comment "you haven't lived until you have played the Raindrop Prelude" - how true that is - it's not that hard and you can really spook yourself with it late and night with it - and if no one is listening you can really hammer out those loud chords in a fit of Romantic angst - they do sound awful if you bang them out too loud - like all the pots and pans in the kitchen dropping at once - but if no one is around who cares?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik
Experience:Lost track... seriously. What have I supplied there last year? Something like 4 years now...
Title of piece:Dear You
Composer:Dai
Duration:03:13
Source of music:Sheet music, at Josh's Aggardo site.
Instrument used:Kawai CN 21
Recording method:Digital to PC, then sampled using Garritan Steinway Standard.
Additional info:Whoa, I almost forgot about the recital once again (I did last time!), and found myself without piano. I ended up sending my very first take of the piece I wanted to submit, without being able to take another one. The recording is not the best, I hope you will forgive me. The piece is called "Dear You" and is a compilation of many "Dear You" parts that appeared in the anime "Higurashi no naku koro ni" (When They Cry/When Cicadas Cry - depending on the translation). Each part of the piece is a theme for a certain character, the original composer of the piece made a compilation of all these and made it into a single piano piece I find very soothing and fun to play. It's fun to experiment with, add and repeat parts and do things that are not in the score. The one recorded follows the score closely, but I play it in many different ways. After a break from piano due to studies and work it was a very fun piece to get my fingers running again. Whops, this part was long enough. Sorry for boring you. I hope you'll enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ken.
Experience:18 months
Title of piece:Cavalry Gallop, Op. 27, No. 29
Composer:Kabalevsky
Duration:01:07
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Milton Spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:I recorded this piece in June as I was getting it up to speed for the annual recital. My teacher wanted me to play it at around 130 bpm, but this was about as fast as I could play it without making too many mistakes. I had another take that was slower with less mistakes but I decided to submit this one as it is closer to the desired tempo.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ten Left Thumbs
Experience:Ten years as kid, recently 6 months
Title of piece:Joe's Jump
Composer:Mark Harrison
Duration:02:08
Instrument used:Acoustic piano, Knight
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Just love the jumpy baseline! The tremolos are a real challenge for me - what you hear is the best I can do. What I loved best about this one is the lyrical nature of the RH in the second chorus. I just love making it sing. smile Hope you enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Euphonatrix
Experience:5 years
Title of piece:2-part invention #14 in Bb Major
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:01:48
Instrument used:ca. 1921 rebuilt Weihenmeyer & Co. upright
Recording method:one Shure PG 81 condenser mic into Sony Minidisc Recorder into computer via Audacity
Additional info:"14" was Bach's favourite number. He was obsessed with numerological games and managed to connect various important aspects of his life with the number "14".
If you translate the letters of the alphabet into numbers (A=1, B=2 etc.), the letters of his name B-A-C-H (2+1+3+8) add up to 14.
While I was working on this piece I kept wondering if the fourteenth 2-part-invention had a special meaning for him as well.

There might be one edit - I recorded several versions and don't remember exactly which is which now. :-)

I hope you enjoy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:7.5 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9anlm5KTws
Title of piece:Don't Know Why
Composer:performed by Norah Jones
Duration:02:30
Source of music:Video tutorial
Instrument used:Digital Piano Roland FP-7
Recording method:Digital piano to Zoom H2 then mix with video from panasonic LX3
Additional info:Don't forget to watch my video. Any negative and constructive comments are welcome.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AnthonyB
Experience:We'll call it 1.6 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahi_vKg97Hs
Title of piece:La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:29
Source of music:Ludovico Einaudi - The Best Of Sheet music book
Instrument used:Roland FP7
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:This is now one of my favorite pieces to play. Especially the middle part. It's a shame it tripped me up for as long as it did.

I've not eaten lunch yet but I did eat a glazed cinnamon twist donut from the bakery this morning. Yum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission