2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
halen99 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I posted this in another section and they suggested me to post it here. thank you so much.

Hello all. Nice forum you have here and thank you for approving my membership. Here is my situation. I have a song that needs piano. I play but this is not the normal style I do. I was wondering if I posted an mp3 link that is some of you could give me some tips or ideas on what/how to play on this? Best case is having a few of you play on top of my song, low quality is just fine, to give me some ideas. Am I making sense? Link is below, any help or suggestions would be wonderful!

Click here to download Simple Gifts Click here to download Simple Gifts

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't help because I am not able to get the download.
rada

H
halen99 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
hmm the link works for me. If you emailed me eddie at lanceproductions dot com I can email you the song?

Eddie

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
OK, I'll put my producer's hat on for a moment. What we have is a country song with a strong acoustic guitar part. From the sound of it my first question is why anyone would feel the need to add piano. However it sounds like you want the gig and so you're taking the task seriously so I'll answer seriously. It depends on your chops. You don't tell us anything about your abilities. If country isn't your thing then you should study up on country piano parts. In this situation it would have been best to have worked out with the guitar player where the piano would get to shine through, because he/she didn't leave you any room. I'd guess this is a singer songwriting guitarist (who's very good) who wants to produce a sell able recording.

Don't even try to play along with the guitar part during the breaks between phrases, make up your own. The mixer and producer will select the best parts from the recorded tracks. As for comping along for the rhythm track you can play essentially the same rhythm or you can try to find holes for the piano to sound through. My thinking would be to play along most of the time but find one or two spots where you can play against the guitar part.

Of course all of this could get rearranged when they add a real drummer and bass. It sounds like this is a midi studio project and thus it's far more difficult to get an organic band sound without a real band. In a real the players leave room for each other. That's not the case here.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
H
halen99 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you Steve. I wrote the lyrics and had a guy play guitar and sing it for me. Perhaps we don't need piano on here but since that is what I play best, I was hoping to play something on my song. Hopefully that makes sense?
I plan on having real drums instead of the drum machine too.
Eddie

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission