2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Loc: canada Hi. I'm new to the forum. The other night, I bought a Yamaha YDP 160 but found out (on the day I picked up) that the place I bought it from sells the Yamaha Clavinova 320 sells it for the same price as YDP 160. The salesperson didn't allow me to change my order (apparently they just order base on customer's purchase and do not keep pianos in stock). Had I known this, I would have purchased the Clavinova instead. Now after taking the YDP home (but did not open the box yet), I called them again the next day begging them to let me change my order to Clavinova320. They said Clavinova 320 and YDP 160 is the same except for the warranty. They also said that I can exchange if I pay $150 (sort of like their restocking fee). I'm just learning to play the piano and wonder if you can confirm if it is true that Clavinova 320 and ydp160 are the same. And what recourse do I have if I want to exchange. Thank you.

cinderella
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The YDP160 is worse than the CLP-320 in two respects:

- 64 polyphony vs 128 polyphony
- GHE action vs GH action

So for the same price, the CLP-320 is a slightly better choice. However, the overall difference is fairly small. The piano samples, speaker and amp system, number of sounds and most other features are identical. I'm not sure if it's worth $150 to get the additional advantages of the CLP.

As for your rights regarding the return, you should look at any contract that you might have signed and/or talk to a local better business beareau. I don't know Canadian consumer law very well.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
GHE = GH, and they are not different.

C
OP Offline
C
So Clavinova 320 and ydp 160 is very close/equivalent? if they were the same price (like in this shop they were the same price but I was not informed, i had the impression that clavinovas are more expensive), clavinova seems like a classier higher end model than the arius, not to mention the warranty is longer, I think 5 years vs. 1-2 yrs for the ydp. i really feel duped!

cinderella
im pretty sure 160 uses same keys as 320, so you're ok cinderella

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Ok, I didn't realize GH and GHE are actually the same (understandably, it's confusing). But there are still warranty, polyphony and resale issues to consider. So for the same (or similar) money, he'd probably still be better off with the CLP.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
YDP warranty is carry in so you need the keep the big box.
CLP warranty is in home service. No box. No worries for 5 years. I cannot imagine a store not allowing an exchange with a sealed box. Both are good sellers and they should have no problem selling the YDP quickly.

I am not so sure the actions are exactly the same.

Last edited by Marty Flinn; 07/27/09 07:11 PM.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Arius 160 = GHE
CLP320 = GHE
Arius 140 = GHS

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
R
R
Polyphony:

CLP320>YDP160 (128 > 64 )

Keeping its vale during years:

CLP320>YDP160

reliability during years:
YDP160 is slightly better than CLP320

they are almost the same product, but follow your heart, they should change it without any extra fee because you are not Returning it, you are changing it with another product in STOCK, ask them, isn't that make any difference? If I was you, and make decision to return the YDP160, I certainly will not get their CLP320, because why should I deal again with such people when I should pay just the same price that I will pay for any other dealer?

Last edited by reza; 07/27/09 10:55 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Reza,

I am curious as to what you base your opinion on that the Arius would be more reliable than the Clavinova?

Same manufacturer
Same core electronics
Same factory
Clavinova better warranty coverage

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It is no dilemma........only a question of money.........

CLP more polyphony
CLP better touch......GH vs GHS

Make up your mind.

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
E
E
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
I cannot imagine a store not allowing an exchange with a sealed box.

Well, that's because they would make less money on margin if they let him exchange the YDP for the CLP. The CLP simply is a better instrument.

However, depending on what state the OP is in, they might not be able to charge him the restocking fee on the return if the box is still sealed. They might be just bluffing.

Last edited by EdenResident; 08/01/09 10:02 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The original poster said they sold for the same price. How does the seller make less money?

T
T
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
I cannot imagine a store not allowing an exchange with a sealed box.

Well, that's because they would make less money on margin if they let him exchange the YDP for the CLP. The CLP simply is a better instrument.

However, depending on what state the OP is in, they might not be able to charge him the restocking fee on the return if the box is still sealed. They might be just bluffing.

It doesn't really matter. Fact is, this is a bad business practice, especially if he requested the change before the piano was delivered. Companies like that deserve to go broke. How can they expect people to return and buy from them again after such an experience? And the customer is not likely to recommend the dealer either. I just ordered a new piano from the same company I bought from 6 years ago, and I buy lots of accessories and other instruments as well. The store obviously believes they will never see this customer again and their behavior makes it a self fulfilling prophesy.

U
U
Pay the extra $150, get what you want, and move on. Oh - and never give that store your business again.

Yamaha P-525

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission