2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was rearranging my play lists today and I noticed that almost exactly 50% of my pieces are classical and the other 50% are some form of popular music. I didn't plan it that way, it just sort of happened.

I'm curious how others divide their time and styles, if at all. I'm also curious whether people believe that even if you're focusing on one style of music, say jazz, that it's beneficial to spend some time on other styles, or if you're better off spending all your time on your main genre.

I don't really have a main genre. Originally I was going to learn blues (hence my name) but that's gone by the wayside as I've learned a broad range of music instead.

What do you think makes a better pianist, the shotgun approach or the laser beam? Am I doomed to perpetual newbiehood if I don't start to focus on something pretty soon?

B
B
Mine are mainly classical, although I also have a huge amount of music sheets in other styles (which I never play, except for some Michel Legrand film scores).

I don't like pop or jazz.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm 99% new age. grin And you can break that down to 55% Einaudi, 30% David Nevue, and 15% Other.

L
L
Originally Posted by bluekeys
I'm curious how others divide their time and styles, if at all. I'm also curious whether people believe that even if you're focusing on one style of music, say jazz, that it's beneficial to spend some time on other styles, or if you're better off spending all your time on your main genre.

As a primarily pop/jazz player all my life, starting to play some classical absolutely improved my skills (and pointed out some huge holes in my ability). But I'd say that for most of us, I think playing stuff you love is the best way to ensure that you play often and strive to improve. As a player-for-enjoyment, I can't see myself spending hour upon hour practicing music I don't like, which can't do much for my productivity.

That's not to say that I don't ever want to stretch or make myself do an exercise that's unpleasant but "good for me". That's part of improvement in anything. But in terms of raw hours at the keyboard, it seems a bit like what makes one truly successful at work - do what you love and love what you do.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Seriously 100% classical but I've been known to goof off with folk.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by bluekeys
Am I doomed to perpetual newbiehood if I don't start to focus on something pretty soon?

Probably not, knowing you smile. But FWIW I've been a perpetual early intermediate for 50 years and I'm still having a ball laugh I'm 63, and I didn't really notice a slow down in my learning pace until around a year ago, and then mainly in the final speed I can get with some techniques (like stride-style bass). And for all I know that wouldn't be there if I'd spend more time - but I don't.

I dunno, the amount one focuses on any one thing seems to me to be a really individualistic thing - sometimes I'm all over the map, and sometimes I'm all on one channel, to mix metaphors. I have a limited range of styles - contra dance, and old swing - at the minute. Well, honky-tonk sort of, and which I'm working on is driven by if there's a gig coming up soon.

If I had to guess? 50% contra (back up to melody instruments), 20% old swing tunes, 20% honky tonk, and 10% turning everything I know into either old swing tunes or honky tonk.

But for me it's always amazing how far I can get by working on pieces on essentially my level, but with a little stuff I haven't done regularly. One day I wake up, and voila! I'm better than I used to be! (Or, as my band says, d**n, we're not as bad as we used to be! - When we get a bus that's going to be painted on the side.)

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Larry B
what makes one truly successful at work - do what you love and love what you do.

I could not have said it better. I play standards, and am now messing around with jazz. Why? -- because that's the sound I crave. In the jazz area, I do try to make the little exercises "fun". I'll play it with my Band in a Box backing track. Fun is the only way to go for me.

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
M
M
I'm only working on classical for now.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I like classical and could focus more on it. But the reality is that Jazz is already so complex and I haven't had much time to spend on other things. I know that eventually I will do more classical. I don't think I would have progressed as quickly if I kept trying different things. Basic blues is pretty much the same as basic Jazz so I could say I hit two genres at one time.

However, I vary my listening to include various genre's. I can always enjoy other genres without necessarily making to much of an effort to learn it.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I may get some flack for this, but why does it have to be strictly one or the other? My favorite classical is Chopin and Debussy, and I sometimes will borrow/steal a lick, style, or a pretty run from them to put into my standards/ballads. Sometimes I start out playing a classical piece and morph it into a ballad without thinking. smile A lot of classical themes have been turned into wonderful pop songs. Example: "Tonight We Love", AKA Concerto in Bb Minor, Tchaikovsky; "Stranger in Paradise", AKA Polovetsian Dances, Borodin..

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1102850/a/Artistry+Of+Nelson+Eddy:+Popular+Songs+Adapted+From+Classical+Themes.htm

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Am split around 50/50 between classical and modern. I have much more classical sheet music, but tend to play more of the modern stuff.

K
K
I'd like to get into jazz piano, mainly comping, at some stage but for now my focus is on learning technique via classical although my teacher doesn't mind me working on other genres like jazz or popular. Right now I am working on two classical pieces and one jazz piece which is a solo arrangment and makes a nice change, so I'll probably continue on in this way.

Another way I'm thinking is to carry on with classical for technique and then spend any extra time on jazz specific technique like comping. It would be interesting to see how much of my classical technique crosses over into my jazz playing given that I already know how to improvise on another instrument.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission