2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1246926 08/10/09 07:50 PM
OP Offline
I must have gone crazy. I know I have because it's been 10 years since I went anywere near my piano and then one day I decided I absolutely HAD to play Clair De Lune.. :whome: I've seen people with not much experience saying they managed to play it but I am really having trouble with the left hand. Could you give me some hints? I am stuck in places like this: [img]http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa26/D4rk4n93l/Mine/?action=view&current=CDL.jpg[/img] Thanx in advance PS. Also if you know of a simplified version of Clair De Lune, pleeeeease let me know. Maybe I should start from something easier :crazy:

"I decided as long as I was going to heck, I might as well do it thoroughly."
Hi d4rk4n93l (what a cool name!) I'd be more than happy to help - i'll put together a short video lesson to help you break down the left hand part in that measure, hope it helps!

Clair de Lune may start out deceptively simply, but then transforms into cascades of liquid notes. Unforgettable, as you have noted, even years later.

Baldwin
Charles Walter
OP Offline
Big thanks Hugh!!!!!!!!!! I will wait! Thanks for the nickname compliment too wink

Still fighting with the first page, tranquillo - been ten years, my hands are rusty! But yes you are right, it's unforgettable..

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Don't know if this will help you but I shot a video of my wife playing it... must be something about that piece; she also said she hadn't played it since high school. My shooting location was on a balcony above her so the fingering is mostly visible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0N6Wnt7glI

Howard

OP Offline
Originally Posted by hv
Don't know if this will help you but I shot a video of my wife playing it... must be something about that piece; she also said she hadn't played it since high school. My shooting location was on a balcony above her so the fingering is mostly visible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0N6Wnt7glI

Howard

WOW! I'm speechless...
Amazing performance! I'd be grateful if I can play it 1/10 as good as she did!
Thanx Howard, it really helped watching the fingering from this angle 2hearts

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
It's got to be a labor of love. My situation was pretty similar sounding. I hadn't played in years, then suddenly decided I wanted to "own" this beautiful piece of music.

My best advice is to break it down, measure by measure, and work it out. I found YouTube immensely helpful. I suggest finding a performance that especially appeals to you, probably better if it's a slower one, and work to emuluate it. I'm far from an expert, but it worked for me, though it took me a good 3 months.

Good luck with it.

OP Offline
Yes, you tube has some interesting videos on this piece but usually left hand movement is not clear.. Even tried Synthesia, helps but its different when u see a person do it..
So yeah I'm breaking it down till I got stuck in the measures I mentioned above..
I've got the determination, I will manage it one day grin
Thanx for the advice! heart

Here you go, d4rk4n93l - let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions. Enjoy!

Sign me up! I would love to see you cover the entire piece. I'm about to begin learning this piece, and was very impressed with your demo. It would be a huge advantage for me.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Me too. I'm impressed with the simplicity with which things are broken down and the explanations. Refreshing compared to other "teachers." wink

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
Hugh Sung:

Now I don't have to go to a conservatory to learn how to play piano!!

Quite seriously, your presentation is really amazing.

I am far away in ability to attempt to play Clair de Lune but the opportunity to closely look over the shoulder of an excellent piano artist (and amazing teacher) is too much to pass up.

Please, please continue to enlighten us members of PianoWorld and tackle the whole piece for us with your great video presentations.

Joseph

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I already have the music. I'm interested.

OP Offline
Wow! My very personal piano lesson on Youtube shocked
I am famous!! blush

That was... enlightening (to say the least)!!!
Honestly if I had you to teach me instead of that... crappy one I had I could have been a professional!
Amazing job, so helpful.. you made it look so simple shocked
Thank you so much Hugh, you are my favorite person grin

And of course I would absolutely adore to see the whole piece played like this!! I'm sure many others would too wink

HUGE thanx yet again 3hearts

Last edited by d4rk4n93l; 08/12/09 10:17 AM.

wj3 Offline
Hugh that was great. You have a wonderful teaching style. I would be interested in learning Clair de Lune from your videos. Thank you....

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh, I also think that was a fantastic little mini-lesson and I'm impressed that you put it up so quickly.

It really reminds me of the way my teacher and I go through pieces sometimes: note by note, interval by interval, chord by chord, breaking things down and practicing the parts, then putting things back together again. I have been very fortunate in my teachers but I suspect there may be many folks on the forum who have never experienced the kind of professional instruction you provided in this clip.

I noticed some other videos from you in another thread and I'd like to ask if you are organizing a library of these mini-lessons somewhere online. I'd hate to see such excellent resources disappear into the Piano World thread archives.

I'm not currently working on Clair de Lune but I still enjoyed your comments and approach. I have followed some of your other discussions of technology for musicians and think you are a real leader in this area. I'd like to see a lot more of this sort of thing online.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Yes. I am also interested. I have the music, but have not tried to learn it for fear of learning it with wrong fingerings and pedaling.

I would really appreciate lessons from you. Your teaching style, of breaking it down to smaller bits suits me fine.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm not learning this piece, but I must say I enjoy your teaching style, Hugh. I hope the demand is great enough to not only do this piece but others too! smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
This is amazing! I am amazed at Hugh's video!

I have almost mastered the piece, I am just learning the last 2 pages. It's a beautiful piece, I can't wait until I can finally the play the entire thing.

My Piano Website - FREE Piano Sheet Music!!!
Wow Hugh you are just too nice, you made a whole video for one poster you don't know and your not getting paid for it! Having said that, we need more guys like you in these forums. I would be happy to see your videos.

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission