2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
lol Norbert, that's too much for a 6'6 grand,[US $ 14,000...] I'd go with a Haillun instead. Very nice and even across all registers too.
*Sorry Norbert.. * smile

No pushing or shoving please....

Norbert laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by newguyonforum:
Misinformation? I was told this by the dealer that sells them. And looking at the other thread by Don supports this, no? What other components are actually different besides these (and the strings which I forgot to mention)? I know the prep is absolutely meticulous, but are there other components that should be noted as being different? If so, please share that information.

For what it's worth I wasn't attacking Kawais nor Fandrich and Sons pianos. I think both are excellent. I also really like the RXs as well. One couldn't go wrong buying any of those pianos.
Hey newguy,

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post. I apologize if that's the case. shocked

Sincerely, smile

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Norbert:
lol Norbert, that's too much for a 6'6 grand,[US $ 14,000...] I'd go with a Haillun instead. Very nice and even across all registers too.
*Sorry Norbert.. * smile

No pushing or shoving please....

Norbert laugh
Sorry Norbert. It was late at night smile smile

S
S
Wadslee said,
To that end, the Estonia dealer, Rick Baldassin, offered to personally refine the L190 to a much higher level—one that would “exceed that of the Shigeru and potentially match or exceed that of a NWS Schimmel.” (which brand he also represents in addition to Fazioli) As offered, this would not be an average dealer preparation, but rather a multi day effort, using every technique & trick in the book to elevate and refine the Estonia to a much higher level. (while keeping the tone “as is.”) I jokingly asked if we could “convert the Audi into a Lamborghini”…to which he quickly replied “oh yea!”

Did you ever consider getting the NWS 189 Schimmel? The tone quality is excellent, certainly different than the Estonia, Kawai and Shigeru Kawaii. The workmanship is fantastic on this special edition as well. It also sounds like Rick Baldassin was trying to refine the Estonia to reach a NWS or Shigeru. Why not get the real thing? ... if price point isn't the deciding factor.

G
G
In all seriousness Glenn,

If your story did occur, I would like the name of the church and its music director and sound man. You know as well as I do that a piano in a church situation without the proper climate control - or regular service - will not hold a tuning. It does not matter whether the piano says Kawai, or Estonia, or Galassini on it.

For some reason these folks chose to complain to you rather than to ask our advise in the best way to maintain such a lovely instrument. Somehow they avoided our service packages and our pamphlet on how to maintain such an instrument.

Hi Rich,

I absolutely agree. In fact that's what I directed them to do as I mentioned in my post.

quote: Estonia pianos are excellent pianos and for what it's worth I told the 2 people from the church that they should contact the dealer they bought the piano from to discuss their dissatisfaction and perhaps look into a climate control system.
As a follow up I did get in touch with Rich at Cunningham Piano with the name of the church, the name of the music director and the name of the sound guy — as well as the address, phone number and the date I had the conversation.

I also stated the following in my email to Rich:

BTW, I'd encourage you to post a follow up on the list to clear the air if you feel it would be helpful.
Since I brought up the question of this particular church with two of the people (the music director and one of the sound guys) from the church expressing concerns about the decision that was made to purchase an Estonia, I thought it only fair to give Rich the contact information of the church. This is a church that is a customer of his so they already have an established relationship. I gave this information to Rich on Saturday 11/30/08.

I encouraged Rich to report back on the list as to how the concern was resolved, since I brought it up and so there could be some "closure" to the question that I brought up.

Rich is a good guy and I know that Cunningham's stands by any problems that customers may encounter that may come up with an Estonia piano.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
As asked, my service people have followed up with the customer in question. There are now new people in charge of the music and sound and they desire to keep the piano in it's best condition. (They haven't even tuned it this year yet. yeesh!)

They bought this piano in 2003 and our records show that they intended to use their own technician for service. This was where the error came into play. Apparently changes in staff meant that there was no "regular tech." anymore.

We've set up a time to meet with 2 of the major players and educate them on how it is best to move forward. Thank you Glenn for the help. This piano could have wound up being an embarrassment.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
wadslee Offline OP
OP Offline
sammy1 wrote:
Did you ever consider getting the NWS 189 Schimmel? The tone quality is excellent, certainly different than the Estonia, Kawai and Shigeru Kawai. The workmanship is fantastic on this special edition as well. It also sounds like RB was trying to refine the Estonia to reach a NWS or Shigeru. Why not get the real thing? ... if price point isn't the deciding factor.
I did consider the K189, but it was more than I wanted to spend--about 50% more. One of the appeals of the Estonia for me is the ability to extract additional performance. Overall, it appears to offer the greatest "bang to buck" ratio, particularly with further refinement. I also like the tone.

Dont' get me wrong, the Schimmel Konzert is an amazing instrument too--just a tad bit over priced IMO.

I like the Estonia tone, it was just the refinement in the action that was "lacking." (which term is entirely relative) I used "NWS Schimmel" and "Shigeru" to describe a level of action refinement that I thought others would understand.

Thanks for the reply!

Estonia L190 - 6789 'Hidden Beauty'
Roland HP-203
wadslee Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Bear 1:
By the way, again in my opinion, nobody can end user tweak a piano better than 'the' person that actually hand built the piano.
Bear,

In an attempt to make a good piano purchase decision, I've done a bit of research on this statement and have drawn some conclusions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I interpret your statement as saying a Shigeru Kawai has a decided advantage over other similar quality piano makers because the person doing the in-home refinements is the exact same as 'the' person who hand built the piano. The statement asserts, without evidence, that only such a person is capable of extracting the full performance potential of the instrument. Also from a consumer's perspective, this statement seems to imply that there is only one person building the piano. It conjures images of a master artisan like Leonardo Da Vinci, huddled over his masterpiece.

First, a Shigeru Kawai is not built entirely by one person alone. It is a collaborative effort. While it may be true that a Kawai MPA is assigned to each instrument, it's also true that many components, including actions and hammers are made by groups of people in different departments or even factories.

Second, as I understand it, the particular Kawai MPA that is assigned to each piano may or may not be the actual MPA that flies to the US anyway. I was told by the local dealer that they took turns.

Third, if nobody could end user tweak a piano better than 'the' person that actually hand built the piano, how would you explain a NY Steinway? Certainly there are independent technicians that can refine a Steinway far beyond the dismal in-factory prep work that Steinway is putting out these days. Any S&S dealers out there disagree? smile

Fourth, the statement implies that the best technicians in the world work exclusively for the manufacturers--hence nobody else can compare.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your replies. You have been very helpful. I just have a little trouble with this small statement.

Estonia L190 - 6789 'Hidden Beauty'
Roland HP-203
waiting to hear what Bear has to say.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lol, apple is loving this. smile

Time to slice and dice smile

Originally posted by ppp:
wadslee,

Remember to examine the piano's dynamic range from ppp to fff, how the piano sounds with the pieces you play, the action/touch/tone etc ... Take a longer time to decide if you can't make a decision (isn't that a tautology?).
Glad I read through the posts before posting, because that is exactly what I was going to suggest. For me, touch is no longer a critical issue in choosing a piano. One can adjust to that. Control IS critical, especially at the ppp end. Tone is important too.

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
S
S
Bear cares.
Wadslee, enjoy your new piano. It will be lovely.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sammy1:
Bear cares.
Wadslee, enjoy your new piano. It will be lovely.
Thank you sammy1,

Best to all,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
Wadslee,

Have you purchased your piano as yet? Which one did you get? Keep us informed.

Bear1,

If I'm staying in the US, I would consider a SK7 delivered from you smile

Kawai US has excellent service/support; that makes me want to be American :p

Just had a 2nd tuning, some minor problems fixed. The piano is singing and humming along beautifully. My tuner is a fine player and keeps telling me what a beautiful instrument is the Estonia L190. I can't recommend it often enough. The piano's rich warm sounds are consistent along the entire spectrum of sound possibilities, and those tones from the bass and tremble, whew! It's a powerful instrument and just perhaps deserves its own tier others should aspire to.

The piano is singing and humming along beautifully. My tuner is a fine player and keeps telling me what a beautiful instrument is the Estonia L190. I can't recommend it often enough. The piano's rich warm sounds are consistent along the entire spectrum of sound possibilities, and those tones from the bass and tremble, whew! It's a powerful instrument and just perhaps deserves its own tier others should aspire to.
I hardly comment on Estonia here anymore.

Because when I said something simliar as the above some 14 years ago, people thought a I was nuts.

Nice to see others are increasingly becoming too.

Their case however, may not be quite as serious.

It's sure as heck's taking them a much longer time to get there....

Norbert shocked

So you were right, I've learned not to doubt it.
What is on the horizon? I just googled and found an article claiming that Estonia is the new Steinway; an interesting comparison.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Ianopi:
So you were right, I've learned not to doubt it.
What is on the horizon? I just googled and found an article claiming that Estonia is the new Steinway; an interesting comparison.
The difference being, I'll bet, is that Estonia will not be content to rest on their laurels. wink

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
Estonia is Estonia.

It doesn't need a comparison to Steinway as much as Bluethner,Steingraeber, Sauter,Grotrian, Shigeru or any others need one.

All these pianos have slightly different identities, are beautiful within their own rights and add to the variety of wonderful instruments out there.

Back to Christmas dinner now... er desert....

Norbert wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission