2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1245453 08/07/09 04:22 PM
M
Mr.A Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi, im new to this forum, im sorry in advance for my long message smile.

Im a first year "classical" composition student and I've been playing the piano for more than three years, which is not that long, but since I made the decision of going with music all the way and since I was an adult beginner with a lot of drive and love for the "craft", I was doing 5-7 hour practice sessions every day, and I pretty much breathe music 24 hours a day.
today Im at a good level of playing and understanding of the material and for a very long time Ive been wanting to teach.

Im sure that I can do a good job, because first, I really want to teach and I have a lot of respect for the role that a teacher plays in a life of a student, and second, I know that I can devote myself and give a 100% in order to pass on the joy of music and playing.

My problem is that im a little afraid of taking the responsibility of someone's future.
I feel that I cant really garuntee a student that I wont make mistakes as an inexperienced teacher.
on the other hand, experience wont form on its own, and maybe I should just read all I can read about the diffrent approaches of piano teaching and dive in, prefecting my swimming as I go along....

I would love to hear your inputs, and get some recommendations for good pedagogy books.

thanks.

M
M
Hey Mr. A....I amd Mrs. A!!!

Yes, read and learn as much as you can. I find understanding how children learn is very helpful in teaching piano. There are many teacher who know everything about piano but can’t translate that to teaching . Many teachers just teach what they know about music. A good teacher teaches kids to “learn” about learning. You are not going to screw them up. If you can instill that love of music in your students you will not have failed. I would send my own children to you. In hopes they would catch some of our enthusiasm

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

Welcome!

You sound like you have a wealth of musical knowledge to share with students. Certainly beginners. But equally important you have a wonderful attitude and respect for the student and teaching itself. You have a healthy degree of humility, and take the responsibility seriously.

All new teachers make mistakes. We're only human. But if you admit that, and are willing to learn the art of teaching as you go along, you and your students will be greatly rewarded. This forum helps, but there's nothing like jumping in with that good attitude of yours. Keep an open mind. Borrow the good things and methods you've learned from the teachers you love.

When I first began teaching over 20 years ago, I had doubts about my ability.
But as the years go by, I'm so glad I was encouraged to teach. I've had so many wonderful students, and I know both they and I have benefited from the experience.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
M
Mr.A Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks a lot for the support.
Ill read some more and Ill go for it.

It sounds like your head and heart are in the right place. You will make mistakes when you start teaching, but that's all part of developing your skills as a pedagogue. If you can find somebody to mentor you who has a lot of experience I would recommend going that route. Try to sit in and observe as many lessons as you can -- you will learn far more about teaching that way than from reading a book.

Research a wide array of materials available to beginners and acquaint yourself with the business-side of being a private instructor. Any new endeavor introduces a number of challenges -- just hang in there!

Best,
Jennifer Eklund

Originally Posted by Mr.A
Hi, im new to this forum, im sorry in advance for my long message smile.

Im a first year "classical" composition student and I've been playing the piano for more than three years, which is not that long, but since I made the decision of going with music all the way and since I was an adult beginner with a lot of drive and love for the "craft", I was doing 5-7 hour practice sessions every day, and I pretty much breathe music 24 hours a day.
today Im at a good level of playing and understanding of the material and for a very long time Ive been wanting to teach.

Im sure that I can do a good job, because first, I really want to teach and I have a lot of respect for the role that a teacher plays in a life of a student, and second, I know that I can devote myself and give a 100% in order to pass on the joy of music and playing.

My problem is that im a little afraid of taking the responsibility of someone's future.
I feel that I cant really garuntee a student that I wont make mistakes as an inexperienced teacher.
on the other hand, experience wont form on its own, and maybe I should just read all I can read about the diffrent approaches of piano teaching and dive in, prefecting my swimming as I go along....

I would love to hear your inputs, and get some recommendations for good pedagogy books.

thanks.

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission