2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Frank:

I will be there for the entire show, headquarted at the SMC display. I look forward to meeting you "in the flesh" after all these years. I am afraid I will miss the National Piano Travelers Association meeting on Wednesday night (even though I am past president and I recall encouraging you to attend a couple years ago), as we have a corporate function at that time.

Craig Smith
General Manager
Kansas City Piano

www.kansascitypiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi. Looks (for now, at least) like I will be going. I have my badge, courtesy of the store I tune on the floor for.

Tentatively, I will be there Thursday (although I may not be there when it first opens in the morning - that remains to be seen) most of the day, Friday most of the day (although I may duck out in the mid to late afternoon), and Saturday most of the day (but I may have to leave before closing time to catch a bus home).
(I haven't made reservations yet cause I haven't been 100% sure I will be there, but I should be able to get a room at a discount motel chain a few miles west on Katella Ave. Last I checked, they had some available.)

It will be my first time there. I'm mainly interested in seeing the various pianos and keyboards. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for? I would especially be interested in seeing pianos that I usually don't get the opportunity to see very often or at all.

Another thing - is there anything wrong with somehow writing or sticky-ing my forum username on my badge?

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer:
Hi. Looks (for now, at least) like I will be going. I have my badge, courtesy of the store I tune on the floor for.

Tentatively, I will be there Thursday (although I may not be there when it first opens in the morning - that remains to be seen) most of the day, Friday most of the day (although I may duck out in the mid to late afternoon), and Saturday most of the day (but I may have to leave before closing time to catch a bus home).
(I haven't made reservations yet cause I haven't been 100% sure I will be there, but I should be able to get a room at a discount motel chain a few miles west on Katella Ave. Last I checked, they had some available.)

It will be my first time there. I'm mainly interested in seeing the various pianos and keyboards. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for? I would especially be interested in seeing pianos that I usually don't get the opportunity to see very often or at all.

Another thing - is there anything wrong with somehow writing or sticky-ing my forum username on my badge?
88Key_PianoPlayer,

The show is huge (and crowded).
While it can be fun to wander around checking everything out, it can also be overwhelming.

I find it's best to grab a program (there will be big stacks of them outside the entrances) and make a list of everyone I want to visit, making a notation of the booth (or room) number and floor.

Visit these first, then wander around.

If it's quiet in the booth you're visiting (rare) the people staffing it will be able to chat, if they're busy I usually leave them alone as I'm not placing any orders for pianos.

As to your badge, I usually write "Home of the World Famous Piano Forums" on mine under the Piano World name. Haven't gotten in trouble for it yet. But... you might be safer to just attach something under your badge.

I hope you make it to the show, it's a great experience and a lot of fun. I'll be wearing my Pano Forums badge under my NAMM badge, keep your eyes open for a pudgy grey haired guy who looks like Richard Dreyfuss :-)

See the proof here ... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/19/221/4.html#000098

That's Richard on the left, me on the right.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As proof that NAMM is almost here, I humbly submit the following MP3 file for all to enjoy!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/NAMMTuning.mp3

(If you set your music player on repeat, then turn up the volume nice and loud, you will get a sense of being there!)

whome

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
B
B
Wow, it sounds just like Nick Gravagne and Peg Browne tuning!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Almost - there are three in there!

:-)

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Hello,
Yes I want to go to the NAMM and also to Franfurt(music-messe).
I am a Perzina(6'1'') owner sinds twoo weeks and Iam so exciting about this,and also my friends.So I would see them on both event's.And all the other models.
I go every year to Frankfurt.And now for the first time to the NAMM.And if you go to one of both events,go to the Perzina stand and tell what you found out.
Let me know it please.

Yfes

Music makes happy !!!
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
For some reason I keep getting reminded of this skit.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi all.

The Rubenstein piano is here (in 210B with the Steingraebers and Sauters). The 138cm Steingraeber is a nice piano. Also, I so far like the 130 (or 132 - can't remember right this second) cm Bohemia upright. And, the Fazioli F308 is nice, too.

Anyone know if Larry Fine, Franz Mohr (I guess not, cause Steinway's not exhibiting), Del Fandrich are at NAMM this year? I did see Randy Potter at the Charles Walter booth (along with Mr & Mrs Walter).

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Del and Larry are here, I've run into both of them.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Some picts I've taken are here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/16782.html

I'll take more tomorrow (Sat.), had too many (interesting) meetings today.

Ok, we're waiting for pictures/reports from the rest of you attendees now.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi. I plan to be there for a while this afternoon, but right now I'm at an internet cafe west on Katella at Magnolia. (It's $2/hour here, as opposed to 25c/minute or 40c/minute there at a kiosk or Kinkos, hidden in the lobby.)
I'd like to get pictures, but I'm without a camera. frown I've been searching local stores (online and by calling them) but haven't found the one I've been looking at buying - Fuji F30 or F31fd. Too bad, cause I wanted pics of the insides of all the 8' and larger grands and 50" and larger uprights, as well as pics of me playing Rubenstein's piano, the Fazioli F308, and a couple others. Just in case someone has a camera and sees me there (I'll be wearing my tag of course), I am carrying a 1GB CompactFlash card with me (but I don't have SD or XD right now).

So where should I be on the lookout for you guys? I'll try to be down there sometime around 1:45, and I'll stay till about 5:30 or 6. I'll probably make a quick stop in the main downstairs area to look around and try some of the virtual pianos, as well as a few keyboards, then go upstairs and hang out around the various pianos.
I saw Ivory yesterday, and tried a couple settings on the 10-foot Italian grand. I was actually somewhat disappointed. I couldn't get the rich tone abundant in upper (7kHz+, and not just 1 or 2 strong ones, but a full spectrum) harmonics out of it that I wanted. (Maybe I got spoiled on the tape I have listened to 10000's of times since I was 5 that has a piano that sounds like a large upright version of a 55+-year-old Baldwin Hamilton.) The actual F308 that I played was fairly nice, though.
Probably sometime while I'm there I'll go ahead and jump on the overpriced internet station I mentioned above, to check this forum and see if there have been any replies.
Another way is to email me - I can access my email account from my cell phone. I had to change my email address in my profile cause the one that was there I couldn't access from my cell. It's set to hide my address, but allow users to email me by using the icon. If you email me, I might give you my cell # (I have txt msg capability too), but I'm not giving it out publicly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission