2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (brdwyguy, accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
gale,

wow, I am surprised to hear that you practice that much.. if that's the case you'll probably fit right in. A lot of people don't go far with the music degree because of time commitment.. not only do you have to practice, you have to do ensembles classes.. etc. I think it's do-able as long as you are patient.

G
gale Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Could you tell me how the performance expectations might differ in a B.A. program? Do you mean less technical skill or less demanding repertoire (maybe that's really the same thing??) I'm new to how this all works. Thanks.

[quote=Kreisler]
That being said, I'd also suggest a Bachelor of Arts program. Although it's not a performance degree, a BA would still provide you with a credential, and BA programs are often very flexible - the performance expectation is not as high on the audition, but you can still tailor the degree to include most of the same coursework as a performance degree. Add in a couple of elective recitals, and the only difference between the two is the letters on the diploma.

I did a BA in Piano at a state uni. Typically your "group ensemble" requirements are a bit less than for the BM performance degree. Also, your "senior project" can be a recital or a thesis project on paper, you get to pick.

Also, when you audition (atleast at state schools) you are usually auditioning to get accepted and to receive "state paid lessons." Otherwise you pay for your lessons outside of your tuition costs. For us, the BA majors only got 30 min lessons per week, whereas the BM majors got an hour.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think it depends on the school. I went to a small liberal arts college and got my BA. It didn't make any difference if you were a major or a minor, you got the same length of lesson. Every music major had the same ensemble requirement and, while there was an option for a senior project, only the "lazy" people took it.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At my university, BA students also normally get 1/2 hour lessons, which I found ridiculous. You can barely get started the lesson before it's over, and my piano instruction is more important to me than the other coursework. I only got hour lessons after fighting for them. The BA degree also only requires 2 years of lessons.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
G
gale Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the info. I am several years away from being skilled enough to qualify for admission, but it's really motivating to think about the possibilities!

Gale

L
L
I say go for it! When I did my Masters in piano performance, I was the youngest and I was 31!...ages ranged up to 50 in my Masters group.

gale ~ I've always been curious, so I'm glad that you asked this question! I've always wondered about Julliard (fascination only) and this is what I found:

"The Juilliard School seeks students whose talent and commitment to excellence promise future achievement in their chosen areas of major study. The Committee on Admissions selects students primarily on the basis of their performance at competitive auditions held at The Juilliard School and in selected cities around the country. All auditions are evaluated by members of the faculty.

The School does not set a minimum or maximum age limit. In general, however, the faculty and the Committee on Admissions will give preference to students in the formative stages of their artistic development who will benefit most from the type of training available at Juilliard."

So they'll favor the youngsters but wouldn't rule out an exceptionally talented older person. And some of us are late bloomers. Also, we're all living so much longer, so say you started playing at 40, put in the requisite 15,000 hours of practice to reach competency (say 7.5 years practicing 5.5 hours a day, less years if you're not a beginner) -- you'd be 48 when applying for programs. If you die at 88, you'll have played competitively for 40 years!

Keep those dreams alive!

Susan

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Susan K.
...so say you started playing at 40, put in the requisite 15,000 hours of practice to reach competency (say 7.5 years practicing 5.5 hours a day, less years if you're not a beginner)

Except the brain works a lot differently at 40 than it does at 8.

I've been on internet forums for over a decade, and I still haven't found anyone who's gone from scratch to mastery as an adult. (Nor have I found anyone who will actually admit it's not possible.)

I haven't read Gladwell's study, but I'd be very interested in what he has to say about when those 10,000 hours happen. (Can anyone who's read it comment?)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
B
What about the guy (NY surgeon?) who was struck by lightning via a pay phone and became obsessed by classical piano. I believe he went from scratch to mastery as an adult.

Hailun 178
G
gale Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That's quite interesting about Julliard. My dream cetainly doesn't extend THAT far, but a small, local college would be a wonderful place for me to grow.

And I would like to say that I wholeheartedly agree that an adult brain works much differently that a child's brain. All those neural pathways take longer to develop, but many of them can develop with persistance. I don't really think the sky is the limit anymore, but it doesn't stop me from working and dreaming about reality-based (I hope) possibilities.

I spent the last hour listening to Anne-Marie McDermott's CD titled Bach. I love the Menuet I from Partita No. 1 in B flat BWV825. It's on youtube if you want to see a sample. Oh my goodness--the joy, depth and inspiration of her playing will fuel me for days!

Gale Welden
a very adult student

Wouldn't that be a cool reality show for PBS? 40 or 50 or 60-something auditions for Julliard? And wouldn't it be cool and if he or she was selected and to watch the freshman year with all the brilliant youngsters? I'd watch it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There was a guy I knew in college. As a freshman, he took the beginning piano class. By the time he graduated (with a chemistry/pre-med major), he was playing good literature (Mozart sonatas, Debussy preludes). I thought that was incredible.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is something I also keep wondering about.

I am 51 years old and have a DMA in cello from a good conservatory. I've also played the piano on and off most of my life. My current working situation (not in music) is not very rewarding, but I don't really want to delve back into playing the cello professionally again (talk about a youth-oriented world ... string playing is it). I do like playing the cello, but the piano is musically more interesting for various reasons. I've wondered if I could possibly teach piano.

I've had glimmers of that feeling of fluency you have when things are working, but they are hard-won and fleeting. I haven't even been taking lessons and know I need to make more of a commitment if I ever want to get better.

Sigh.

gale, I know what you mean about wanting a structured situation. I've thought about applying to get into the local community college just to give it a try. But there are so many -- well, mean (for lack of a better word) teachers out there who will belittle anyone who is not a 10-year-old prodigy. It sounds like you have found someone who inspires you. I hope you continue to find joy in the process and meet encouraging people.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission