2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 71 of 190 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My first recording of Canon in D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uE7aBhzINk

I played faster with the camera recording; I didn't control the tempo well during recording and I knew it while playing. Also, there are some notes played poorly, which I don't like. But, I think it's an all right overall. However, I am going to make a second recording mid-way through next week, which will be my recital piece. I will certainly put much more effort in that recording, and I'll post it here, I guess, on August 15th.

Thanks,

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Waltz

I played faster with the camera recording; I didn't control the tempo well during recording and I knew it while playing. Also, there are some notes played poorly, which I don't like. But, I think it's an all right overall. However, I am going to make a second recording mid-way through next week, which will be my recital piece. I will certainly put much more effort in that recording, and I'll post it here, I guess, on August 15th.

Thanks,

Bravo!!!!!! You played that really well. I didn't notice any notes played poorly at all. Hardly any hesitation at all (unlike mine *grin*); and tempo wise, I'd say that at the end you were speeding up instead of slowing down as indicated in the music. Overall speed wise - as a comparision - I played it much slower (it took me 3.5 mins, it took you 2.5 mins); I'm not sure if I should speed up, or you should slow down, or maybe a bit of both?

Great job! You've surpassed me in this song - I guess I should go practice some more now smile

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm not the person to judge this piece, but your hands slapping thighs finale tells a lot grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancy_w

Thanks,

Bravo!!!!!! You played that really well. I didn't notice any notes played poorly at all. Hardly any hesitation at all (unlike mine *grin*); and tempo wise, I'd say that at the end you were speeding up instead of slowing down as indicated in the music. Overall speed wise - as a comparision - I played it much slower (it took me 3.5 mins, it took you 2.5 mins); I'm not sure if I should speed up, or you should slow down, or maybe a bit of both?

Great job! You've surpassed me in this song - I guess I should go practice some more now smile

Thanks Nancy, it made me feel really nice to read that post smile

I think either of out speeds could be correct. In that recording I am definitely playing on the quicker end of the spectrum, and I will try to slow it down a bit. I think your speed is fine too, and I like it more than I do mine, but it's more a matter of personal preference than necessity, because, again, I think we're both within an acceptable range of tempos for the piece. On youtube Canon in D performances on piano, you'll find similar variations in tempo. And come on, you know I have not surpassed you; you may hesitate here and there but you keep it under great control; yet I speed up at the end! The speeding at the end is probably nerves, you know, I really don't want to make a silly error and have to restart from the beginning (for that recording I really did not make that many attempts, thank goodness). Neither of us is "perfect", but we both do fine jobs at playing it, and we are both ready for book 3 I think.

Speaking of Book 3, I nearly gave myself the pass earlier today on the first piece. Relative to DB and CiD, it is rather easy, but entertaining to play.

Last edited by Waltz; 08/01/09 07:41 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
whoops!

Last edited by Waltz; 08/01/09 07:40 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
I'm not the person to judge this piece, but your hands slapping thighs finale tells a lot grin

LOL, that is kind of silly of me cool

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey,

I was thinking of submitting Canon in D for the recital. I have a question though:

Does that mean I can't post it here first? Do I have to "keep it a secret" until August 15th? Seems like a long time to go without feedback, as I will have certainly moved on by that time. . .

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, I don't really know all of the E-recital rules.

Waltz - nice version of the "Canon in D" - please don't hesitate to submit it to the upcoming Recital - the only major Recital rule is that it must be a piece that you personally played and should involve the piano/keyboard to some extent - people have often "tried out" a piece in a thread (especially the Monthly Piano Bars) before submitting it to the Recital - I might be doing this myself - some have even re-submitted an "improved" piece that they submitted to the Recital before - many more people will hear it there and you'll get lots of positive feedback - and some critical feedback and suggestions (but only if you specifically request this) - see you in Book 3!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
Hey,

I was thinking of submitting Canon in D for the recital. I have a question though:

Does that mean I can't post it here first? Do I have to "keep it a secret" until August 15th? Seems like a long time to go without feedback, as I will have certainly moved on by that time. . .

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, I don't really know all of the E-recital rules.

Waltz - nice version of the "Canon in D" - please don't hesitate to submit it to the upcoming Recital - the only major Recital rule is that it must be a piece that you personally played and should involve the piano/keyboard to some extent - people have often "tried out" a piece in a thread (especially the Monthly Piano Bars) before submitting it to the Recital - I might be doing this myself - some have even re-submitted an "improved" piece that they submitted to the Recital before - many more people will hear it there and you'll get lots of positive feedback - and some critical feedback and suggestions (but only if you specifically request this) - see you in Book 3!

Regards, JF

Thanks JF. I will be submitting this to the upcoming recital. I'm excited about it, my first one. I think I will rerecord this either tomorrow or Tuesday, and try to slow it down.

I actually passed the first Book 3 piece, Super Special Sorta Song (alliteration overkill) this morning and have started the Calypso Rhumba this morning. Neither seem too difficult, but I'm sure the heat will be on soon enough.

I'll see you in the Book 3 thread as soon as I have finished all my work with Canon in D, I'm still working hard on my ability to "control" the piece as I play it, and it's taking lots of my practice time. See you there soon smile

Thanks Ttigg for the youtube comment also!

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Good to hear that Book 3 is not very intimidating thus far for you Waltz. That's encouraging for me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
Good to hear that Book 3 is not very intimidating thus far for you Waltz. That's encouraging for me.

I am actually spending a LARGE portion of my time on Canon in D still, and will be until probably Thursday, then I will shift my energy completely into Book 3. Hang in there Music in Me, and keep making recordings; it's a way to stay motivated and have something tangible while moving forward. On which piece are you now working?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Aside from getting distracted by digital connections. MIDI, etc., I'm going back in order, so I'm now about to record Morning Has Broken, then Solace, followed by the dreaded La Bamba.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cool, Morning has Broken is lovely. GL with La Bamba, but in all honestly, I think you have the talent to pull it off without a problem. I'll be sure to listen to them all when you post 'em.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have made my final recording of Canon in D! I guess I won't post it until the 15th though. I also have to find a .wmv ---> .mp3 converter online.

I will say this though: it is played slower in my final playing.
The first was 2:39 in length, this one is 2:57 in length.

Tomorrow will be my last day working on Canon in D, after I will be completely on Book 3.

[Linked Image]
N
N
I have made my final recording of Canon in D!

Congrats! I can't wait to hear the final version. Make sure and post it here as well as the recital?

I've been working on the Dan Coates version of Canon in D (more of the same; but slightly different smile ). I don't know if I'll have it at recital quality before the uploads are due. I can play all the parts of it pretty well; but putting them all together and getting through the whole song is proving to be difficult. A few areas I should work on individually; and I'm not sure my speed is up to what it should be. Ah well - it's fun to practice at least!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Nancy. I hope you can get the Coates version by the 15th, it would be really fun to hear it. I think you can do it. I really want to just upload mine to youtube and post it here now, but it would probably take the fun out of the recital. But I'll post the link here on the 15th, and in the recital page.

Is the Coates version similar to this version played by this kid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ibPfp2ofE

[Linked Image]
N
N
Thanks Nancy. I hope you can get the Coates version by the 15th, it would be really fun to hear it. I think you can do it. I really want to just upload mine to youtube and post it here now, but it would probably take the fun out of the recital. But I'll post the link here on the 15th, and in the recital page.

This is the one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzBVcC_Cto

I don't play the fast parts nearly fast enough yet smile I'm working on it though!

(Edited to add this is NOT me playing it - just a random you tube video I found )

Last edited by nancy_w; 08/04/09 03:18 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancy_w

This is the one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzBVcC_Cto

I don't play the fast parts nearly fast enough yet smile I'm working on it though!

(Edited to add this is NOT me playing it - just a random you tube video I found )

Ah, yes! That version is much more similar to how it is commonly played at weddings. Beautiful, but it looks much more difficult than the A2 version.

[Linked Image]
N
N
I know it's not in book #2 - but since we started talking about it here grin I'm working on the easy Coates version of Canon in D. I'm approaching my practice quite differently now. First, I've gone though the whole piece and think I understand the timing of everything (there's one part on page 4 I might need to speed up slightly) although I'm playing everything slower than might be indicated in the music. I can play any part of it fine as long as I concentrate and focus on that section.

I started learning this piece from front to back of course; and I'm definitely more comfortable with the beginning. So now I'm starting over at the end. smile

I took the last phrase (hope that's the right terminology) and played that a bunch of times in a row until I felt more comfortable with it. Then I moved forward in the music and added the next to last phrase, played it, plus the last one. This way I'm playing the last phrase more and more as I add more and more of the beginning of the song. I spent some time this evening doing this - and feel it's working well. I'm much more comfortable with the end of the song now.

Still have a long way to go - I got through page four, but am still making occasional mistakes that I'm not happy with.

wj3 Offline
Waltz you can download a program call Audcity. It will convert your .wav file to an .mp3. Its free and alot of us here us it. Good luck.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Opps! Thats Audacity....sorry

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
Page 71 of 190 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission