2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Inspired by the ABF's Chopin E-citals, we now have our first Etude Recital. Please grab a seat, sit back, and enjoy.

www.etuderecital.org

LisztAddict. What a wonderful performance of TE#10. Your left hand articulation is superb. You played the entire etude powerfully yet delicately especially 2:30 through 3:19. I enjoyed it immensely.

Do you draw any inspiration from any particular interpretations?

I've added it to my collection of excellent LisztAddict renditions.
Cheers.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just listened to most of the entries and want to congratulate all the participants on their skill as pianists and sound engineers. It takes a lot of courage to give a piece your best shot and post the recording for the world to hear. Maybe next time around I can find the practice time to take that risk myself.

All of the performances were interesting and thoughtful. I especially liked the three Liszt Transcendental Etudes and Rachmaninoff's Op. 30 No. 6. Whippen Boy's rendition of Paysage was exceptionally musical-- beautifully phrased, wonderfully controlled dynamics, first rate interpretation. Chopin952 wins the award for living dangerously simply by having selected Feux Follets. He did something very smart: recognizing the superhuman technical demands this piece makes, he slowed it down enough to maintain control and keep the notes pretty much in line, and it worked very nicely. thumb

LisztAddict did a marvelous job with No. 10. The division of labor between right and left hands can lead to awkward accenting, and the thicket of notes makes it very hard to keep the tempo right and the momentum going. This piece is often hammered to death in performance, but nothing like that happened here. Superb work.

Finally, doowlehc's Rach 39/6 is a stellar performance of a really tricky piece. The attack was crisp and precise, the dynamic range and use of accelerando to build to the climax were very well executed. Just the way I like my Rachmaninoff.
Once more, well done to all and thanks for brightening up a sticky summer afternoon.

Phil Bjorlo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the nice comments Phil. smile I think everyone did a very nice job and I've been enjoying those recordings a lot. It means a lot to me to hear performances from people on this Forum. I hope the latecomers are still planning to post their recordings too.

I'm surprised the e-recital came and went... and seems to have dropped off the radar without very many comments. When folks take time to comment it makes it all the more worthwhile. smile

I think I'll post a link over on the Piano Forum (if it hasn't already been done) in case someone there might be interested to hear it.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by whippen boy

I'm surprised the e-recital came and went... and seems to have dropped off the radar without very many comments. When folks take time to comment it makes it all the more worthwhile. smile

I'm enjoying your recording right now. smile Good Job!

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you to all for listening and also the comments.

chopin952 - I listened to so many people, I like certain things from some and certain other things from some others. But I can say that I don't like any performance of this piece being played faster than 4:15.

whippen boy. I really enjoyed your interpretation of TE#3. The piano and acoustics were great for that piece. I love the dreamy reverberations of the first melody and its left hand echo. Like water droplets dripping from the roof of a beautiful house out in the country after a hard rain.

I want to make a recording of this as well and post it for your criticism one day. Thank you for sharing.

I hear ya LA. No matter how crisp and clear I don't enjoy it much faster than that. Great job.

Do you play Mazeppa or Wild Jagd? Much like TE#10, I also love those for their power and delicate moments.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
whippen boy (Liszt Transcendental Etude No 3) - are you really an organist? laugh You never fail to amaze your listeners. Your performance is exactly as I expected to hear from you.

chopin952 (Liszt Transcendental Etude No 5) - Very clear, clean, excellent use of pedal, and well defined phrases. Now you are one of a very few people with the right to say "I've played Feux Follets". Good work!!!

Timmyab (Chopin Etude Op 10 No 6) - a well executed study with excellent range of dynamics.

Phlebas (Chopin Etude Op 10 No 10) - you made this tough etude sounds as there is nothing to it; all those jumps in the left hands.

madrigal (Rachmaninov Etude Op 33 No 8) - this is actually the first time I hear this piece. I like how you play so much, one day I am going to learn this piece myself.

wr (Rachmaninov Etude Op 39 No 4) - I am so glad to receive your recordings in the last minutes. A very respectable performance of this particular piece.

doowlehc (Rachmaninov Etude Op 39 No 6) - this is one of the best renditions of this Etude I've heard. But it's no surprise as I've seen/heard you a few times before. HA HA HA.

YD (Scriabin Etude Op 8 No 12) - Wow! Beautifully done! You must have put a lot of work into this piece.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by whippen boy
Thanks for the nice comments Phil. smile I think everyone did a very nice job and I've been enjoying those recordings a lot. It means a lot to me to hear performances from people on this Forum. I hope the latecomers are still planning to post their recordings too.

For some reason, I felt sort of shy about posting any comments, since I participated. That's silly, I know.

It has definitely been fun and enjoyable to listen to some of the playing of people who post here. And yes, I am hoping more show up (and that someone here mentions it if they do). Are a lot of people on vacation right now, by the way?

At any rate, whippen boy, I sure am glad your submission got in - very very beautiful playing.

I think it would be fun to have regular quarterly recitals here in Pianist Corner like they do over in ABF, but don't know quite how to make it happen. I wonder if we could just upload to the Member Recordings forum, and then simply add links to our recordings to a page in a thread here? Would something like that work? It wouldn't be as slick as the page for the Concert Etude recital, but on the other hand, it would not place too much of a burden on anybody to host it, do the web authoring work, etc.

Also, it would be nice, if that kind of quarterly recital took place, to be free of thematic restrictions, so people could play whatever they are working on or have ready or think others would enjoy, rather than something in some specific category. Although the concert etude idea was cool, I think it may have limited the participation a bit.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree about the regular recitals, wr.

I plan on posting comments on all of these later - just haven't had time.

Thank heavens for LisztAddict because he gave us three pieces for this recital, and it would have been a much smaller set otherwise.

LA, thanks for the comment. The lh skips are not the hardest part for me, and I have sort of a trick for them.

More comments to come later.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Phlebas - I forgot to mention of the nice clear distinction when you moved from legatissimo to staccato and then back to legatissimo.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I really enjoyed your recital. Thanks to all for the time, effort and talent ... very well done :applause:

I usually hang out over at the ABF so thanks to Phlebas for posting the recital over there!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I loved all these performances! The playing was superb in each and every one and the recordings are excellent. smile

Special commendation to whippen boy, chopin952, and LisztAddict for their performances, however. WOW!! thumb Chopin952, I particularly loved you Feux Follets. Your tempo actually makes it seem humanly possible!

Madrigal's Rach Op. 33 # 8 was another standout, IMHO.

Fantastic work, everyone! And thanks for sharing. smile

Last edited by Horowitzian; 08/03/09 02:25 PM.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I don't know much about classical, but have listened to a couple - I really liked YD's Scriabin, and I just heard Whippen Boy's TE #4 - and I liked that, too. Not much, I know, but some of us do occasionally get around to other forums -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks again for the nice comments - it has been heartwarming to read the posts here, especially since I've been feeling a bit glum now that my vacation is coming to an end.

I like the idea of regular Pianist Corner recitals - performing is what many of us aspire to do, isn't it? smile Periodic e-citals would be fun to do, and a simple (easy to make) webpage would make it easy for people to access.

I think themed recitals are a great idea - I'm always more motivated when I have something specific to work towards; sometimes a tricky or quirky theme can be very inspirational. I did a theme of "War & Peace" recently... the program came together pretty quickly when I finally hit upon that idea.

Originally Posted by LisztAddict
whippen boy - are you really an organist? laugh
gringringrin

At least I hope so. whome In spite of being a 'pianist pretending to be an organist' (and vice-versa) they did let me play here last month. smile

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

It has definitely been fun and enjoyable to listen to some of the playing of people who post here.

Ack! I re-read that today and realized it came out sounding wrong. I wanted to say I enjoyed listening to all of the playing, and that it was particularly nice to get to hear playing from some of the people who post here who I haven't heard play before.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
laugh ha

So was that some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time...? smirk

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have not listened to all the pieces yet but I am already quite impressed by the quality of the playing. Now we need to know more about you, who is professional and who is a dilettante (enviably so, I must add) and what piano you played etc..

wb, what did you play at Westminster?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I played a suitably grand piece: "Flourish for an Occasion" by William H. Harris. Not an entire recital, but one can always hope. smile

An organist colleague refers to himself as a professional dilettante - that term suits me just as well. whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission