2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 117 of 136 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 135 136
B
B
Originally Posted by snoopycar
i'm ptg cert, PotongPasir-ToaPayoh-Geylang ok ... don't prey prey... laugh

Oh, it excluded my area...

B
B
Originally Posted by Roxane
TCM deals with people's lives, so there is more of an impetus to regulate the practitoners. Unless piano techs here evolve to that professional level, I don't see that happening. It all comes back to the question of demand for that level of service – most people just see piano techs as mere tuners. Some people even question the need to tuning more than once a year, and they haggle over an increase of $5 in turning charges (true story). People queue for hours and pay a lot of money to consult sinsehs, but you don't see that happening with most piano techs.

I would thought it is a CASE Trust issue, where consumers should be protected from "Jiang1 Hu2" technicians...haha

Like those renovation contractors, though they don't deal with lives, they also need to get accredition ah...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bihua
Btw, I found this Piano Tuning class from the web...conducted by Leonard from Asia Piano. He is Japanese certified technician woh. So, Japan also has some regulatory body?

Anyway, anyone interested? I am quite keen. Maybe we can go together. But wanted to hear your comments as well?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/clas...can_now_learn_how_to_tune_your_own_piano

Interesting. But 'Japan trained' is meaningless to me. What is more important is how much you are taught about the theory of tempering/tuning, and whether or not you are taught to tune anything else other than Equal Temperament (or whatever custom temperament your tech is putting on your piano). There is a reason why I tune my $300 plate of chicken rice myself....

It's not easy, and if you don't pay attention when tuning by ear you can (a) lose your way and (b) snap strings. I did the latter once, on someone else's piano because I was chatting with the owner and had the tuning hammer on the wrong pin. First and hopefully also the last time.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
i'm ptg cert, PotongPasir-ToaPayoh-Geylang ok ... don't prey prey... laugh

Oh, it excluded my area...

okok i go recert to get a ptgs, s for sengkang okok ??

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
just a note here: pls stand up.
Please give credits and claps to tuner techs here that many times exceed the level of ptg.

They are the tuners of large arts school, universities and of many true pianist here in SGland. They are locals who hv gone through NS, got pink I/Cs. Although they hv no PTG certs, they hv many concerts and home tunings to back them up, they hv the salutation of theirs customers n school principles. They can hear the lowest A0 to the highest A8 and the ability to tune them close to perfect.

pls give another clap and salute.

ok, you may sit down now laugh

N
N
Hi Nikkie,
Wow, deliver on Friday? You take leave ah? Mine was Sat/Sun leh.

I'm self employed, so time on my side.

Bihua, fj_s, chihuahua, Thanks so much for all the information.

W
WCH Offline
W
just a note here: pls stand up.
Please give credits and claps to tuner techs here that many times exceed the level of ptg.

They are the tuners of large arts school, universities and of many true pianist here in SGland. They are locals who hv gone through NS, got pink I/Cs. Although they hv no PTG certs, they hv many concerts and home tunings to back them up, they hv the salutation of theirs customers n school principles. They can hear the lowest A0 to the highest A8 and the ability to tune them close to perfect.

pls give another clap and salute.

ok, you may sit down now laugh

Have you forgotten to mention their names ? :P

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

names... no need to mention, didnt get permission from them yet.
There are some clues though. I know someone, he looks like Beethoven, go nafa ask around or go yongsiewtoh conservatory and ask around. Another master-tuner is a slim guy about 58ys, grandfather leow.

Ask around who has S&S and who their precious local tuner, many don't visit PW, some is in indonesia, some in Brunei. Our local master tech do travel overseas too you know?
steady poon pee pee right?

Snoopycar,

I think I know who those are leh ... ahahahahahahahah!!!

But looks like Beethoven?

then I think the slim one must be like Liszt ... old ah pek Liszt ... ahahah!!!

Also know one who is very nice ... like holy holy "Kwan" Yin one ... but guy lah ...

Another like "Teh" Si for lunch ... ahahah!!!

What about the one who sends "eddy" currents through pianos?

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
B
B
Originally Posted by Digitus

Interesting. But 'Japan trained' is meaningless to me. What is more important is how much you are taught about the theory of tempering/tuning, and whether or not you are taught to tune anything else other than Equal Temperament (or whatever custom temperament your tech is putting on your piano). There is a reason why I tune my $300 plate of chicken rice myself....

It's not easy, and if you don't pay attention when tuning by ear you can (a) lose your way and (b) snap strings. I did the latter once, on someone else's piano because I was chatting with the owner and had the tuning hammer on the wrong pin. First and hopefully also the last time.

Oh, now that you mention about Temperament, and I went on to read up on it that I realised there are actually different Temperaments to choose from. Haha, I am so naive. I had always thought that tuning piano uses the theoretical frequencies. And you tune each key to that exact frequency will do! Haha. So scientific laugh

Ok, I don't know which Temperament my Hailun is currently using. Btw, where can I hear the same music using different Temperaments online? Just wanted to hear the difference. Do you have any recordings to share? Haha, now I know why you tune your $300 chicken rice.

Oh, I think I will experiment with the Schubert piano. Haha, though Hailun not ex, but heart ache to experiment on it, just in case I snap the string. Oops!

Wow! Even tuning has soo much knowledge into it...very interesting!

R
R
Almost all, if not all techs in Singapore tune to equal temperament.

RichterForever
Yamaha C3, Yamaha CVP 405
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Digitus

Oh, now that you mention about Temperament, and I went on to read up on it that I realised there are actually different Temperaments to choose from. Haha, I am so naive. I had always thought that tuning piano uses the theoretical frequencies. And you tune each key to that exact frequency will do! Haha. So scientific laugh

Ok, I don't know which Temperament my Hailun is currently using. Btw, where can I hear the same music using different Temperaments online? Just wanted to hear the difference. Do you have any recordings to share? Haha, now I know why you tune your $300 chicken rice.

Oh, I think I will experiment with the Schubert piano. Haha, though Hailun not ex, but heart ache to experiment on it, just in case I snap the string. Oops!

Wow! Even tuning has soo much knowledge into it...very interesting!

No recordings that I know of online. But I have a very interesting CD recording of a 3-hour seminar that Prof Owen Jorgensen delivered many years ago. You can buy it from HERE.

In case you didnt read my warnings, do your research thoroughly before you try DIY tuning.

Use an electronic tuning device rather than trying to do it by ear. Of course you will still need aural skills because the results of an ETD guided tuning still needs to be checked by ear (assuming you know what to listen for). And by ETD I am not referring to simple chromatic tuners. I am referring to those designed specifically to tune pianos (e.g., Verituner).

It is also VITAL that you read about proper hammer technique, and pin setting and string setting techniques. You should also watch an expert tuner in action to see in person how these techniques are executed. There are some great videos on YouTube produced by one of the PW tech members.

I was very garang -- I learned to tune uprights (with the help of Verituner) on my practically brand new Kawai K-8, and grand pianos on my practically brand new Sauter Omega. NOT recommended unless you are an adventurous soul.

To be honest I was driven to DIY tuning because none of the techs who worked on my K-8 could (a) give me a tuning that sounded great rather than just OK; and (b) The tuning of new pianos drifts a lot in the first year or so, and I cannot bear playing on pianos that are too far off.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah, Bill Bremmer (inventor of EBVT) has just posted some files of EBVT-tuned pianos. See the link at the bottom of the first post in this THREAD.

N
N
halo Bihua,

I'm not refering to the temperament since i know nothing about it. Jason was here yesterday, he said he has tuned our piano to concert pitch, it means nothing to me but may mean something to u.

Jus a quick question, does your piano has this metal sound (think the string sound) when hitting the keys? Or is it becos the piano is too new? Mine is only manufactured in July, which not even a mth old..

also, can base sound be tune brighter??

We were playing whole night yesterday and this morning too, it really does sound good. It wasn't sound too bad in my small little room. We still haven't put in the curtain and carpet.

My neighbour who has a 10+ yrs of Yamaha grand came n test our new piano, the couple enjoyed so much. She likes the higher pitch sound but find the lower pitch not bright enough, tat's why i asked can it be tuned brighter??

The new piano really motivates me and my gal practise more than the keyboard. Think it's value for money.

Jason mentioned that the container tat jus came in has all sold out even before it came in and they're already taking orders for the next shipment. wow..business not bad for them lei..(1 container is abt 20+ pianos)

Yesterday, after tuning, he played on the piano with so much pride, he said it got the U3 sound..

I'll get my newphews n nieces (range from grade 4 to 8) to play on it and see what's their opinion, will keep u updated.

oh ya, Jason said he saw pictures of his piano on the website, think it's yr webpage. I told him we did alot of promo for him, if he need franchise, let us know..ha ha..

So for the time being, guess the piano satisfys our needs..

B
B
Metal sound? Or you mean the keys on the very right, when you hit the keys hard, there is some "knock knock" sound? Those are due to hammers hitting strings. But the other keys should not have that sound. I asked that question before, haha, Jason just told me usually will have one, except those more expensive pianos, one cent money, one cent goods lah =P

Base can be brighter. But not by tuning. The surface of the hammer that hits the strings can be made "harder" by applying some chemical, so that the sound will be brighter. You can try asking Jason if he can help. But anyway, see if you prefer it to be brighter or not. I actually like the thick thick base of Hailun piano lor, I find it very rich. Hehe, different taste lah =P

Haha, aiya, ask him to pay me advertisement fees, I happy liow =P Haha!!!

Yeah, let me know what your nieces and nephews think too! =)

Based on my limited understanding, I am still learning and reading up:-

1. "Concert Pitch" refers to the frequency of the A note (above the middle C) is at 440 Hz. In most cases, all pianos are set at this standard one.

2. "Temperament" is just like different sets of frequencies of all the other keys in the octave (except 'A' is fixed coz of above). Say by changing the frequency of 'C' a little, when 'C' is played with 'A' will give a different colour, becoz of the interaction between the 2 frequencies. Then, pple just come out with different sets of frequencies for the notes to give a different colour lor to give it a Victorian feel or some spicy feel and so on.

B
B
Digitus,

Thanks for the sharing. Need some time to digest. But don't worry, I won't try anything too funny one. But it is through experimenting and playing that we all learn right? I just find it interesting lah.

Too bad don't have Piano Factory in Singapore, like last time we used to go those Beer Factory, Mushroom Factory. Else, haha, I will be visiting it all the time!! Maybe they should have it in the Science Centre hor? Since it is Physics what! Haha!

N
N
Metal sound? Or you mean the keys on the very right, when you hit the keys hard, there is some "knock knock" sound? Those are due to hammers hitting strings. But the other keys should not have that sound. I asked that question before, haha, Jason just told me usually will have one, except those more expensive pianos, one cent money, one cent goods lah =P

Base can be brighter. But not by tuning. The surface of the hammer that hits the strings can be made "harder" by applying some chemical, so that the sound will be brighter. You can try asking Jason if he can help. But anyway, see if you prefer it to be brighter or not. I actually like the thick thick base of Hailun piano lor, I find it very rich. Hehe, different taste lah =P

The metal sounds like after hitting the key, the string vibrate sound that sounds like metal (eg 'tzing' instead of 'dng') or we too sensitive, will observe for awhile.

Snoopycar, Digitus, wat's yr opinion on the above? is it becos of inferior metal string used??

The rich base sound, now think about it, i'm confused. I tot I like rich thick base?? Think got influenced by my neighbor..I'll keep playing and see wat's my preference..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
well, concert pitch depends on which concert you're attending and where you're refering. There is a debate going on 440, 442, 443Hz? Very headache... for string instrument, they just needs to turn some knobs, for piano it'll hv to take time to raise pitch, wait a while for soundboard and strings to stabilize....

Generally for most valued priced pianos, there is some give and takes. If one is expecting a perfect piano, then its hard. There are some near pefect pianos, where much time and best material have been put in, as usually, its an exponential returns dilema.

A piano tone is made up of fundemental tone + some upper harmonics. If there is no ringing or dinging, then a piano become a electronic organ:( The ringing is the upper harmonics, its nice to have. There is a balance to strike between the fundemental and the upper harmonics. Every person has difference preference.

So..... tada... basically, its time to get used to your piano laugh
Dont compare, my piano like this, my friend piano like dat, which is better, is my strings inferior....

Pianos are not like the lastest LCD TV... hey mine got LED back light, got 200Hz , mine is samsung... my friend got Sony... their colour is more briliance... my is more slim, got free sound bar.... more energy saving... i;m still using a thomson 25" crt laugh

Enjoy yr new piano Nikkie smile

N
N
crt?? is it those boxy one..ha ha..i'm also still using, sony 29". still very good lei, didn't spoil.. see how long it can last with my son on off the switch so often..

actually, my piano sounds v good to me, i've been practising almost everyday now. Maybe i'm jus concious n keep thinking is this normal, is tat ok..cos i donno much abt piano so don even know how should a normal stabilise piano sounds like..also at certain time when i try hitting soh fa, the fa sound didn't come out, so i wonder is it due to my wrong fingering, eg not lifting up enough to hit the keys?? or is it a genuine fault in the key alignment.. the very first day i highlighted to jason on this but when i try to show him the keys work well, so he said it's my finger tat did not lift up high enough.. tat's why i need to ask u all experts lor for opinion..

Bihua, did u call jason to come again after the first tuning? how long was tat?

B
B
Nikkie,

The Hailun I bought was actually the showroom piece, which they have tuned several times while it was in the showroom, so when it was delivered to my house, Jason tuned it once. And the 2nd tuning and subsequent tunings (every 6 mths) will be done by Jason's "Tu-Ti". I don't have an issue on the tunings actually. Either I can't hear that it is out of tune or it did not go out of tune. Haha. But I presume, the piano need time to settle down to the environment, and with subsequent tunings, it should be sufficient.

Haha, on the reason why I bought the showroom piece is because when I ask Jason (before I decided to buy) to let me test the other 2 new Hailun 125 pianos that were bought by others which he was going to deliver soon, I notice that the touch is quite different for each piano, and the sound has slight difference. I like the touch and the feel of the showroom one better. And since I tested the keys one by one a few times, saw other customers trying it and listen to what their comments were, did a rough check on the pedals and so on and was worried that by buying a new out of the box Hailun piano, the piano might turn out to be quite different from what I have tested. So, hehe, I requested for the showroom piece, and for that, I asked for further discounts. Coz is showroom piece mah! Jason was reluctant to sell the showroom piece actually, but I just say I like this one even when he told me they are all the same!

But coz I itchy mouth, ask him to adjust something, so got double strike problem frown but after that, it was resolved. So I happy now! Hehe laugh

Page 117 of 136 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission