2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1237995 07/27/09 06:30 AM
OP Offline
Hey Piano Teacher forum laugh

I was hoping i could get some help here - you see my problem is:

So over the holiday i have been playing a bit much ( 4 hours each day maybe) and now when i play, my little finger goes out of place...so its like i have to click it back? if you understand. :S Well i just wondered is it my technique that is wrong? Is there anyway i can stop it from dislocating? Or should i just stop playing so much?

Oh and - my little finger (pinky) hurts when i stop playing but then i just twist it and it is ok after a while.
Any help is much appreciated laugh Thanks in advance

Last edited by Oblacone; 07/27/09 06:31 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have a pupil who also has this problem. Keep it well curved when using it. I wouldn`t think `clicking` it in and out is a healthy option.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I wouldn`t think `clicking` it in and out is a healthy option.

No no, its after i play, it just hurts, then i just kind of twist it around a bit and push it to the side until i hear a click and then it doesn't hurt anymore. :S

Are you straightening it as you play?

M
M
I agree, the "clicking" is an indication that something is under tremendous tension and is generally not a good thing. This is different from "popping" or "cracking" knuckles, which is just a release of air in the joints. The increase in time has only exaggerated the problem. It will need to be addressed by a teacher. Are you studying with someone? Now would be a good time to look for one, and in the meantime, don't play as much.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When I read posts like this, I cringe. I feel like screaming STOP, you're abusing yourself, and it's out of ignorance.

Every student I teach, my focus is on their hands, arms, fingers, wrists, that is, their playing mechanism. My ears can hear the music, and I know the literature, so I don't need to stare at the notes. I live in fear that I'll do something to ruin their playing mechanism or nerves (although I haven't yet, it's something I would be mortally ashamed of for the rest of my life).

I can understand how, if you've had one or more teachers who don't have a clue (are they really teachers or just poseurs?) why you and others shy away from paying for teachers, but there really are good, knowledgeable teachers out there, you've just got to find them.

IMO, from what you've told us, you need to stop playing, cold turkey, until you can find someone who can work one on one with you and correct whatever it is you're doing, and probably a dozen other not so obvious problems. This shouldn't be happening.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
OP Offline
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
When I read posts like this, I cringe. I feel like screaming STOP, you're abusing yourself, and it's out of ignorance.

O.o um... wow.. well can i just point out that it happened just 2 days ago, and the umm piano ?course? doesn't start until 20th august or something, I will ask my teacher then if it hasn't worked out, but i just want to play over the holiday without ruining my hand laugh

Also maybe I'm a bit stupid but... what do you mean by cold turkey?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Nothing happens "just two days ago." The symptoms became obvious 2 days ago. What ever it is you're doing has been going on a long time.

The American expression, "cold turkey" means to stop immediately, without any assistance.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
OP Offline
Nothing happens "just two days ago." The symptoms became obvious 2 days ago. What ever it is you're doing has been going on a long time.

The American expression, "cold turkey" means to stop immediately, without any assistance.

So you're saying i should stop playing until my lessons start again?

...? also I'm confused.. its a bit hard when reading but as i see it ( I'm most likely wrong) but you sound mad? because if my above sentence sounded rude, i didn't mean to be rude laugh

M
M
He's not mad, he is simply trying to emphasize the importance. The more you do this, the worse the injury will get. There should never, *ever* be any pain, soreness, clicking, or other irregular behavior as a result of playing piano. The fact that you are having this happen means there is a problem that needs to be addressed by your teacher. Continuing to play through this will only make it worse, which is why John recommended you stop playing until you can have your teacher help you. No one is being rude here or trying to hurt your feelings, we are concerned. This is very important that you stop.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not mad, I write in short, succinct sentences.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I'm not mad either.

But STOP playing until you have someone who can teach you to play without pain!!!

John is 100% right, as are the others who are saying the same thing.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Oblacone
...it just hurts, then i just kind of twist it around a bit and push it to the side until i hear a click and then it doesn't hurt anymore...
aaaaaaaaauuugggghhh!! (currawong faints)

Du holde Kunst...
OP Offline
I'm not mad, I write in short, succinct sentences.
laugh

Originally Posted by Gary D.

But STOP playing until you have someone who can teach you to play without pain!!!

Hmm maybe I'm not good at explaining. I'm going to make a reconstruction of me playing

- i play
- then my little finger hurts a little
- I wash my fingers in hot water
- click - just like the click you get when you wake up in the morning and you stretch
- the mild pain fades away.

Oblacone, a small problem can turn into a big problem. It may be a sign of something else that you are doing. Anyone who has ever had a music-related injury is going to shudder. Any of the teachers here will have experience in prevention - if they're reacting, I would pay attention.

(student)

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Please wait to play until you have someone check this out. Please.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
OP Offline
frown i guess I just have to.. but might i imply that i played today.. and nothig has happened, It may have been that i didn't have a good hand posture before, which i now tried to make better. Well ill take a break for now...

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Good smile

You won't regret a short break, but you might regret not taking one.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission