2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I did a search and couldn't locate pricing information on this particular model.

I'm going to start going to dealers and wanted to get a feel for what a good deal on this model would be. Thanks.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
From what I can gather this apparently sells for around
$12,000+. What's rather surprising is the console version,
the CVP 409, which is apparently the same piano without
the mini grand case, seems to sell at around $10,000+,
which is a staggering amount for a digital console. At that
price it should be able to do everything but dance.

To put this into some perspective pricewise, I've
had a high-quality acoustic upright in storage
for many yrs. A similar model today would be in
the ~$20,000 price range. But I play a $600 digital
console and it serves just as well.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks. I am looking for a digital that feels and plays very close to an accoustic, but that would also be a showpiece for our home.

I've been looking at Yamaha because I'm familiar with the brand, but if you have suggestions for others that I should take a look at, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
If you're looking primarily at the mini grand case and
secondarily at performance, then there are a number of
manufacturers who sell digital mini grands for much less.
For example, the Suzuki MG-350 mini grand is about
$2300. In appearance it would look almost the same
as the CVP 409GP. Of course, in performance it won't be
as smooth and sophisticated as the 409GP, but it
would be more than adequate for any kind of playing.

To put this into perspective, I'm sure that
$10,000+ CVP 409 console version is superb, but I would never
pay that much for a digital console. My $600 digital
console I find satisfactory for any kind of playing. I
use it to work on big time stuff like the Chopin op.14,
and it works okay for me.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
the previous model CVP309 was sold in $8000-9000 range, so that you might be able to get a CVP409 in $10k range.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yamaha MSRP on the CVP409GP in polished ebony finish is $19,299. It is one of the most recent models introduced, hence at its peak or demand in its life cycle. The GP came on line far behind the rest of the 400 series.

I would be suspect of what Gyro "could gather" price wise. Anyone who would recommend Suzuki digitals as "more than adequate for any kind of playing," can't be much of an authority.

CVP309GP's may have blown out as discontinued at $8-9k but not at current models in their prime.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm willing to pay for the quality, but don't want to get taken for a ride either, which is why I wanted to get a feel for street price.

Marty: Gyro estimated $12k for the CVP409GP, not $8-$9k. Are you saying that you think $12k is on the low side too?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
benjam47 - I am also looking at digital grands. I currently have a Clavinova CLP150 which I love and plan to keep.

While I am a big fan of the CVP 309GP and the CVP 409GP I have found that for me in terms of looks (has a 5'3" cabinet), sound, feel and features the Kawai CP 207D is much better. Click HERE for link to website.

In my area (Washington DC suburbs) the Kawai CP 207D can be had for between $11k and $12k. While this is more than the CVP 309GP (not sure about the CVP 409GP) I believe it is worth it.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
E
E
We recently purchased a CVP409 with the polished ebony finish for $8195. Granted, it is not the grand piano finish, but it looks fantastic and I believe does eveything that the GP would do in terms of sounds and features. Although, I am located in the Midwest so that would make a difference in pricing compared ti California I am sure! I, too, could not find a reference point for pricing and found only a few mentions on Youtube posts. The lowest price I could find that anyone stated paying for the 409 was in the 10,000 range...

S
S
Hey Benjam47 - I just purchased the CVP 409GP. In fact, it hasn't been delivered yet because I am moving into a new home and I'm having the store hold it for delivery. I'm chomping at the bit to start enjoying some quality time with this thing.

I looked at two locations (Tustin and San Diego) the prices for the 409GP were similar in both locations. Both stores claimed $14K was the standard going price, yet both stores were willing to come down to $12K. Probably could have gotten closer to $11K if I would have tried harder. I live in San Clemente, so both stores were almost equal distance. I went with the store in San Diego simply because the store manager was so unbelievable knowledgeable on the CVP / CLP line that I felt I would get a great post-sale resource to lean upon when needed.

I went with the Yamaha for the following reason:
1) Proven Quality and historically good customer service
2) Excellent sound
3) I purchased the 409 for it's additional features (fun for the whole family) as well as it stylish looks.
4) $12K for a digital is expensive but I know my family will spend 2 hours or more a day on the digital and would probably only spend 30 min to an hour max on an acoustic. For me, that makes the digital a much more valuable instrument for my purposes.

If you have the cash, I don't think you can go wrong with the 409GP. If you don't care about the looks, then of course it is much cheaper to go with the 409 (vertical style). I think that was in $9K range at the locations I visited.

B
OP Offline
B
SoCalCC, thanks for the pricing info.

Congrats on the 409GP. Come back once your unpacked and let me know how you like it smile

I agree with your reasons for getting this model. Hopefully I'll get one soon too.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gyro
If you're looking primarily at the mini grand case and
secondarily at performance, then there are a number of
manufacturers who sell digital mini grands for much less.
For example, the Suzuki MG-350 mini grand is about
$2300. In appearance it would look almost the same
as the CVP 409GP. Of course, in performance it won't be
as smooth and sophisticated as the 409GP, but it
would be more than adequate for any kind of playing.

To put this into perspective, I'm sure that
$10,000+ CVP 409 console version is superb, but I would never
pay that much for a digital console. My $600 digital
console I find satisfactory for any kind of playing. I
use it to work on big time stuff like the Chopin op.14,
and it works okay for me.

I read some very bad customer reviews for the Suzuki Digital grand which is sold at Costco. Supposed to be terrible.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
SoCalCC,

Sorry we lost the opportunity to earn your business in Tustin. I am scratching my head a little in that all of us are well trained and know our stuff on this model line. Actually, our store manager is a professional performer and teaches
"how to" classes on the 400 series Clavs. There is also a Clavinova Connection nearby for recreational music making classes.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
S
S
Hey Marty...I wanted to state for the record that you guys at the Tustin Yamaha store were great when I visited. So please don't think you "lost" my business due to anything you guys did or didn't do. It simply came down to the fact that price was the same, distance was similar, and the San Diego store happen to be less busy on my day of visit so I was able to spend a good amount of time getting some great education from the store manager. Due to the large amount of time he spent with me I felt it was only fair to provide him with the business.

With that said, for anyone in the Southern Ca area, I think we are blessed with some very knowledgeable Yamaha vendors and that seems to be evident by the knowledge folks like Marty share on this board.

I'm still awaiting "unpacking day" in a few weeks and so I can give you all an update on my impressions of the CVP 409GP.

Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
SoCalCC,

Sorry we lost the opportunity to earn your business in Tustin. I am scratching my head a little in that all of us are well trained and know our stuff on this model line. Actually, our store manager is a professional performer and teaches
"how to" classes on the 400 series Clavs. There is also a Clavinova Connection nearby for recreational music making classes.

B
OP Offline
B
SoCalCC,

I received my CVP-409GP last week. The sound is amazing and it looks marvelous. I don't know how you can stand having it in storage, I hope you get to unpack it soon!

For those keeping track, I paid $10850 delivered.

S
S
Hey benjam47...I'm sure you have been glued to the 409GP since it received its first breath of fresh air out of packaging. How are you enjoying it so far? Any additional feedback for us?

I'm tentatively scheduled for delivery on July 31st and the suspense is killing me.

B
OP Offline
B
Hi SoCalCC,

First, a disclaimer. I can't compare my CVP-409GP to other modern DP's. My previous DP was a 10 year old low-end Casio, and I did not compare more modern DP's when making this purchase. Also I'm a novice pianist so I may not know what I'm talking about.

But from that perspective, I can tell you what I personally like and dislike about this piano smile

The touch of the weighted keys is excellent, and I have no problem playing repetitive notes quickly. I didn't personally notice the benefit of the synthetic irony tops but that's probably just me.

The volume of the speakers, especially with the top lifted, is more than sufficient for my needs. At higher volumes you can feel a small amount of reverberation in the piano itself which is great.

The primary Grand Piano voice sounds great. If I intentionally try, I can hear the cutoffs where the different veocity levels were sampled, but you wouldn't notice it in normal playing (I wouldn't anyway).

The number of voices available is quite comprehensive, and most of them (especially the articulation, cool, and sweet voices) sound very good (amazingly good in some cases). Many of the voices are duplicated (eg: A Cool version and a regular version), so the actual number of unique voices is less. But there are plenty to choose from.

The ability to connect the piano to your network (which appeals to me as an IT person) is mostly eye-candy. Pretty much all you can do is purchase additional songs at unreasonable prices.

The user interface on the display and the USB drive capability is quite good once you get used to it, although I wish it was better about displaying long file names.

The on-screen score has a lot of functionality but at the end of the day the display is too small to display the score for a complex piece. You have to zoom in pretty far to be able to distinguish 1/16th notes, and at that point you can only see a few bars at a time. I've connected a laptop via the MIDI interface and am using software on the laptop to display scores instead.

Even after reading the huge manual from start to finish, I'm still a bit perplexed on using some of the more advanced EQ features, but I'm sure I'll figure them out given time.

As a novice pianist, I like the guide light feature, although sometimes it's perplexing on how to get it to choose the correct channels from the MIDI file to use, and you have to pause the playback in order to adjust it.

As far as appearance, it looks fabulous in our room, the only problem is that it's so dark and shiny that no matter how often I dust it off, it always has some visible dust on it.

So in summary, the sound and action of the piano seems top notch, and my only minor annoyances are related to the interface itself, but certainly nothing significant to take away from the overall experience.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is a video out where one cable into an inexpensive flat pannel LCD monitor will pump your screen size a lot without a computer.
There is a quick start DVD that takes you step by step through many of the features to augment the owner's manual.
MIDI file track assignment has always been a problem for all. If you stick with Yamaha files it should always match up.

Glad you are happy with your CVP409 overall.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission