2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1239014 07/28/09 04:04 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Greetings ABF friends,

I’m ashamed of my overwhelming ignorance when it comes to reading music, but I need some help. I’ve been filling in for our substitute church pianist (who is sick), who was supposed to be filling in for our regular church pianist, who is on a two week vacation.

I was able to bluff my way through last Sunday’s song service playing familiar hymns by ear; of course I tried to play them in the actual key they are written in (that I could recognize) for the benefit of the congregation.

In regards to key signitures, here is what I think I know and my question will be blank, hoping someone can fill in the blanks for me and correct me where I’m wrong (which may be everywhere help)…

0 flats = C major/G major?
1 flat (Bb) = F major
2 flats (Bb & Eb) = D major?
3 flats (Ab,Bb, & Eb) = Eb major
4 flats (Ab, Bb, Db & Eb) = Ab major
5 flats (Ab, Bb, Db, Eb, & Gb) = ______?
1 sharp (F#) = ________?
2 sharps (C# & F#) = ______? (D major?)

Thanks a bunch!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
0 flats = C major or A minor. I-IV-V = C-F-G in C major
1 flat = F major or D minor. I-IV-V = F-Bb-C in F
2 flats = Bb major or G minor. I-IV-V = Bb-Eb-F
3 flats = Eb major or C minor. I-IV-V = Eb-Ab-Bb
4 flats = Ab major or F minor. I-IV-V = Ab-Db-Eb
5 flats = Db major or Bb minor. I-IV-V = Db-Gb-F
1 sharp = G major or E minor. I-IV-V = G-C-D
2 sharps = D major or B minor. I-IV-V = D-G-A

Someone will probably post a circle of 5ths for you - there's some good graphics that show it, and it's a handy-dandy way of finding key signatures and I-IV-V chords.

You're getting to be a regular gig-er, Rick! Good for you! Baptism by fire laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
0 Flats/sarps C major or A minor
1 Flat= F major or Dm
2 Flats = Bb major or G minor
3 Flats = Eb major or C minor
4 Flats = Ab major or F minor
5 Flats = Db major or Bb minor
1 Sharp = G major or E minor
2 Sharps = D major or B minor

Edit: Well Cathy you beat me. We were both typing at the same time.

Last edited by jw7480; 07/28/09 04:25 PM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jw7480
Edit: Well Cathy you beat me. We were both typing at the same time.

More like "great minds" laugh

Say, Rick - wikipedia has a graphic of the circle of fifths on its opening page of its article, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths

Around the outside, clockwise, are the major sharp keys, and counter-clockwise are the major flat keys. Inside the circle are the minor keys. As you can see, everytime you jump a fifth clockwise on the outside you get one more sharp. You can find a lot of other patterns that will be helpful, too.

Keep on gigging -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Handy Hints:
If you are Looking at the key signature in the music:

In a key with flats, the next-to-the-last flat = key signature (ie- key signature with Bb-Eb-Ab the key is Eb). This way you just have to remember that one flat, Bb, = F.

In a key with sharps, the key is 1/2 step above the last sharp in the key signature (ie-F#-C# the key is D).

Editd to add: this means that the major keys on what I think of as the "flat side" all have flat in their names, once you get past F...so if you are trying to remember the key signature for a key like G, D, A, E or B...since it doesn't have "flat" as part of the key name you know it's a key with sharps...so you just go down a half step. G=F#, D=F#+C#, A=F#+C#+G#...

This, of course, only works for major keys. I must admit myself that I have a hard time with minors.

Keep trying to add to your knowledge of theory. Music has a structure which makes sense. The trick is getting the explanation that "clicks" so you understand the underlying structure. And don't try to learn too much all at once, because then it gets confusing and overwhelming. Learn theory in small bites and only move on when you are rock solid with the current bite.

Last edited by ProdigalPianist; 07/28/09 04:37 PM.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
OP Offline
Thanks so much, yall!!!

I might actually learn how to play a piano one of these days!! (With your help!:-)

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
A
I play sometimes for church to, also by ear, im more proficient at it than reading music (at the moment). Like you I decided I should learn the keys. When you can read music and play by ear you have a very tasty career at a church - Transpose the hymns to make them lower or higher, Ive yet to try this as I feel the congregation not ready for it. I also play harmonica knowing the keys is very handy for that, as the pianist normally forgets to tell me what key shes playing in, so I look at her hands and figure it out.

C Major = 0 Sharp
G Major = 1 sharp - F#
D Major = 2 sharps C# F#
A Major = 3 Sharps C# F# G#
E Major = 4 Sharps C# D# F# G#
B Major = 5 sharps C# D# F# G# A#
F# Major = 6 sharps C# D# *E#(F)* F# G# A#
C# Major = 7 Sharps (raise every note by by 1 note) All black keys used + C and F. Its normally written as *Db* but if you play be ear.. just remember C#

The more commonly used in older hymns are Flats.

F Major 1 flat - Bb
Bb Major 2 flats Bb Eb
Eb Major 3 flats Bb Eb Ab
Ab Major 4 flats Bb Db Eb Ab

(I havent read up on Db - I dont like Db, - thats why I like C# (It is Db just written differently)

If you have a piece to play that is in Ab and your not comfortable just move it up to A Maj, or down to G major

The only Flat keys I like are in Eb Major -And I love to play that as C minor !

Learning ABRSM & Michael Aaron
I came across this tutorial and just feel it might be helpful. It is for me. smile

This one is for Major chords. There are videos for Minor chords and Arpeggios..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kitPHCNuz-s&feature=channel_page

This guy plays really well. He can play piano backward too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hAZBAW3GE&feature=channel_page

TinyHands

“Brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want something.“ - Randy Pausch

OP Offline
Thanks so much for the most helpful comments and tips! I’m sure this has been mentioned on the ABF before, and I’m sure I read it before; but it just didn’t really sink in at the time. Now it is more relevant to me than before.

Our church has about 250 members and I’m surprised there are not more people there who can play the piano. There are others who play a little, but I guess they don’t want to be put on the spot to play for the rest of the congregation.

Of course, I’ve played special music at our church for many years on my other instruments, and have messed up in front of them before, so it’s no big deal if I hit a rogue note on the piano grin.

I had an elderly lady to tell me once, after I had played my guitar and sang a special and forgot the lyrics to the song I was performing, what a good job I had done and how much they all enjoyed it. I told her that I had messed up; she said, Ricky, it did us all a world of good to see and hear you mess up. Wow, I must have some kind of charisma!! grin

Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate you!

Rick

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
To ProdigalPianist:

Those are great tips, which I often use when students are having a hard time 'getting it'
:-)

For the minor keys, just go down three half steps, to get the relative minor key.

For example, G Major = 1 sharp (F)
Move down three half steps from G, and you land on E
E minor has the same key signature as G Major.

Rob
R0B #1239289 07/28/09 10:48 PM
F
F
A while back, DragonPianoPlayer recommended Alfred's "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios, & Cadences" to me. It's a great reference that I would think all pianists would want to have.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
D
D
Sometimes the congretation cannot sing as written as the notes might be too high, so you need to transpose anyway. If you can play by ear, you have a great asset already.

If you know the C major and 2 flats and 2 sharps, you already have major keys C, D, F, G, and B flat (and the corresponding minors). You can just play in these keys if that is easier for you.

For example, if the song is written in E but it is on a little high side, just play it as D. If it is on a little low side, just play it in F.

Another example, if the song is written in B (a difficult one), just play it as B-flat or C. smile

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rickster, do you practice sales? When I was taking a music theory course I discovered all sorts of tricks for remembering keys and key signatures. That all fell by the wayside when I started practicing scales. Now I just know what I know.

And good luck at your church performance. You're a real piano player and when I grow up I want to be just like you. :-)

Gary
OP Offline
Wow, Gary, thanks for that complement!!

Sometimes I think I can actually play a piano a little and then I’ll hear someone who really knows how to play, like many of you all, or I’ll try to play for our church service, and then I realize I’ve only scratched the surface!

But, I can’t think of anything that I’ve enjoyed learning as much in a very long time!

Thanks again for all the helpful hints and information on key signatures! I’ve copied and saved all the information. The ABF is the best and most helpful forum on PW!

Take care,

Rick

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by FormerFF
A while back, DragonPianoPlayer recommended Alfred's "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios, & Cadences" to me. It's a great reference that I would think all pianists would want to have.

+1, and this is coming from somebody who never plays scales. eek In fact, I rarely flip beyond page 1, but that first page lists all the major and minor keys and their corresponding sharps and flats, and *that* I consult frequently. thumb One of these days I'll start playing those scales...

Rickster, you've got nerves of steel to be willing to get up there and improvise and play hymns by ear. Your congregation is very, very lucky to have you! smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
R0B #1239707 07/29/09 02:34 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by R0B
To ProdigalPianist:

Those are great tips, which I often use when students are having a hard time 'getting it'
:-)

For the minor keys, just go down three half steps, to get the relative minor key.

For example, G Major = 1 sharp (F)
Move down three half steps from G, and you land on E
E minor has the same key signature as G Major.

Yeah I know but I always have to stop and THINK about it real hard (and count down the minor third on the imaginary keyboard in my head). Plus lots of music is not written in natural minor so when I'm actually looking at music the accidentals for the harmonic and melodic always mess me up.

It's really embarrassing to admit I had 3 years of college music theory. I managed to forget most of it in the last couple of decades!! eek frown help

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Not knowing your piano experience, I hope I'm not over-simplifying, but . . .
Rather than concentrating on what the name of the key is that your playing in
if you see one sharp in the key signature it's F#
We build up from there as ancientsolar has listed. Notice you always keep the last sharp (or flat) from the
previous key signature. the order of the appearance of sharps is F#, C#, G#, D#, and A#. I won't get into the 6 #'s or flats yet. To remember the order make up a sentence like FIve Crazy Gorillas Drove Around.

The order of flats goes Bb, Eb, Ab, Db (which as you see spells BEAD) and then Gb. Try Baby Elephants Are Delightfully Great or whatever you like.

I hope this helps. Later, when you can look at a key signature and know what the sharps or flats are, you may want to say this is the key of A Major, D Minor, G Major etc. But the important thing to remember for practical playing is what the sharps or flats are.

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission