2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1238293 07/27/09 04:07 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
One of my piano students has given me a head's up that her mom wants to talk to me about her taking up violin.
I don't know much about violin, but what I have read here makes me think that this is not the right choice for this girl. She can play through an entire piece and not hear that it is wrong. She doesn't recognize a wrong note, let alone pitch. From what I understand, one needs very good pitch recognition for success at the violin.

Am I mistaken? Maybe this would be okay for her? Maybe even helpful?

Any suggestions on how I can gently steer her toward a different instrument?

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think it would be a great instrument to teach her to listen. If she has the time to devote to practicing both violin and piano, I'd say encourage her.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ebony, I'm a violin student. Looking back, I think pitch recognition is something that is taught. It is possible to play the piano and produce the right notes without ever hearing the notes. That is impossible on violin, and that in itself would create awareness, because you have to learn to listen. I'd say a fair bit of recognition is also intervalic.

Depends on the teacher. Many very famous composers studied both.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Just wanted to DITTO what Keystring said. I've also heard that to play the violin you HAVE to learn to develop a good ear, which in turn will help with piano.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Adding a 2nd instrument (Clarinet) in the 7th grade really helped my piano playing take off. I always encourage my students to join choir and play another instrument if they can.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I agree that a second instrument is valuable. My conundrum is this particular instrument for this particular student.

I just wonder if an easier instrument (one that doesn't have so much pitch recognition) might be better for her. I know they all need to be tuned, but not on a per note basis like the violin. She is seriously lacking that ability.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Does this child want to learn the violin? I agree with Keystring and the other posters who said that playing the violin develops a good ear. Definitely.

Piano Teacher
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yes she wants to.
Sounds like maybe violin could help her with pitch and piano.

I was thinking maybe it was a poor choice due to her lack of recognition.
Don't know if this is important or not, but this is the same student that always misses her sharps/flats. No matter if they're in the key signature or written as accidentals. There seems to be something disconnected that we are still working on. She doesn't "catch" the mistake like most kids, she doesn't seem to hear that it's wrong.

Thanks smile

M
M
Ebony,

I’m thinking about some of your recent posts … Specifically when you said…..

“I'm aware that there are many of you have never had occasion to work with disadvantaged children. I am not pointing my fingers at anyone, I just wish that people would stop and think for second that it is NOT about us, the teachers, but rather what we can do for them, ALL of them. I have no desire to teach only advantaged children. I teach some of both,…. they each come with their own set of challenges…… If you ever do get the opportunity, and it is a wonderful opportunity, I would really be surprised if you could still say "no" to their little faces …….”

If she wants to learn violin, encourage her.

I believe that if a child is challenged with hearing pitch, providing exercises to help with auditory perception would be a benefit him/her. I do many fun ear training/pitch training games with my kids. I think violin lessons is a wonderful way to develop this skill.

Your students problems with pitch may be because she is practicing on an instrument that is out of tune. Subtle differences in tone and touch are played with the finger but also learned with the ear..

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory
Yes she wants to.
Sounds like maybe violin could help her with pitch and piano.

I was thinking maybe it was a poor choice due to her lack of recognition.
Don't know if this is important or not, but this is the same student that always misses her sharps/flats. No matter if they're in the key signature or written as accidentals. There seems to be something disconnected that we are still working on. She doesn't "catch" the mistake like most kids, she doesn't seem to hear that it's wrong.

Thanks smile

Perhaps voice lessons would be good. It would definitely help with the pitch recognition, although it sounds as though she might be someone who would need help matching pitches, and not all voice teachers can do that. Still, if she has a real desire to learn violin, perhaps it will make things "click" for her. Sometimes addressing the same problem on another instrument does that.

The only reason I would ever discourage a student from taking another instrument is if I thought it would detract time-wise from their current studies.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Violin is one of the hardest instruments to play. If your girl has pitch problems they may improve some but will never be what they should for the specificness (if that is a word, I'll eat my hat) of the tone being on tune. Just in the vacinity is not good enough. The flute or singing would perhaps be less discouraging and help the student improve the pitch problem without becoming as frustrated/overwhelmed as she might with the violin. Learning another instrument always strengthens the first and makes one more aware of things that they might take for granted so learning another instrument is a good thing.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I've had several less-than-natural-musician students go on to begin string lessons in middle school. In our area, the string program is taught by a lovely woman whom everyone adores. I think that is the draw. In addition, many students only know a couple instruments, primarily solo ones - violin, trumpet, flute.

Most of the string students dropped the instrument when they reached high school and lost the nice teacher. I didn't notice any particular gain in piano from the experience, but no detriment, either.

Violin is a bear to practice in the early days - just learning to hold the thing. It quickly discourages many. Having a visual of a piano keyboard is very helpful to string students.

Finding out what the appeal of the violin is would be useful. Does she like the sound? The idea? The teacher? Does she have friends that play? Suggest that she explore a couple different instruments before making a final decision - perhaps a woodwind and a brass, in addition to the strings.

If the child chooses another instrument and actually practices it, I think it will help the piano skills more than hurt. If she doesn't practice it, then you won't see much effect one way or another.

(My husband and daughter are violinists. I can play "twinkle" very slowly...)

piano teacher
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Thought of one more things: My string students often get their fingering confused. We have to kind of consciously turn a switch from violin fingering to piano fingering. (Violin doesn't number the thumb - pointer is finger #1 and so on.) Just so you're prepared!

piano teacher

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission