2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1957, Barly, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1237340 07/25/09 08:31 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Thought I'd make a new topic since this is more about the actual purchase.

So I've somewhat settled on the M&H AA, but want to know if my price is good. Its $33,000 + tax (yes I'll pay the tax...), and includes delivery artist bench and 2 tunings. The dealer also said I can try it at home for 30 days and if I don't like it they'll take it back no questions asked, just paying shipping (sound like an infomercial??)

So am I in the ballpark? Is it the deal of a lifetime, average price, or I'm paying too much? The Fine book is pretty useless on this ("expect at least 25% discount" oh great so I should pay somewhere between 75% and 0% of the list price, very helpful sleep )

Thanks!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Larry Fine reports his most recent list price on a AA in satin ebony as $57,710. 25% off would be $43,282. Your price is $33,000. That represents nearly a 43% discount. If satin ebony is the finish, you price is a great deal. If it is in one of the wood finishes then you deal is even better.

No one can give you a firm absolute selling price becase no one else is selling the piano but your dealer.

Variables:
Location and competitive pressure.
Specific financial condition of your dealer.
How old is the instrument? Ready to be timed out of flooring and needs to be paid for?
How will you pay? Material AMEX charges effect pricing.
Trade in involved?
Is the AA "new"? Used? School Loan? Rental?

These and more effect the dealers cost in the deal and the discount from list he will offer.

A new M&H AA is an awesome instrument and worthy of your considerable investment.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Zooplibob
The Fine book is pretty useless on this ("expect at least 25% discount" oh great so I should pay somewhere between 75% and 0% of the list price, very helpful sleep )

Thanks!

Far from useless IMHO. I think you're being too literal in your interpretation. If your interprettion was correct, the book would be worthless and never sell any copies, but of course this isn't the case. He means 25% is reasonable and you may get more, but except under very special circumstances(like the recession), not tons more.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/25/09 09:05 PM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Good price. Great piano. Sounds like you have a good dealer as well. I see no negatives.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Z
OP Offline
Z
Yes its new and satin ebony.

The reason I said useless is because buyers want to know the minimum they can pay, not the maximum. Sure Fine says 25% off is the highest price they should pay, but how low could you realistically go? Either my 43% discount is a once in a lifetime deal or the Fine book isn't helpful for people buying pianos in these times.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe my piano needs a twin!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Online Content

The reason I said useless is because buyers want to know the minimum they can pay, not the maximum. Sure Fine says 25% off is the highest price they should pay, but how low could you realistically go? Either my 43% discount is a once in a lifetime deal or the Fine book isn't helpful for people buying pianos in these times.

Fine's book was published almost a year ago, basically before people were worried about the economy and dealers could sell pianos more easily. So one has to use common sense plus the endless posts on this forum about the deals right now to realize that more than normal reductions suggested by Fine are possible. There is no such thing as the minimum one can pay on a piano(well, maybe $1).

Your deal is very good so I don't think its that important whether or not it's a once in a lifetime deal or just very good. I think it's more important how much you like this particular Mason AA, not whether somewhere in the country someone might be selling it for a few thousand less. If you don't like the piano that much I wouldn't buy it just because of the deal.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Your deal is very good so I don't think its that important whether or not it's a once in a lifetime deal or just very good. I think it's more important how much you like this particular Mason AA, not whether somewhere in the country someone might be selling it for a few thousand less. If you don't like the piano that much I wouldn't buy it just because of the deal.

The important thing isn't what you pay for it, the important thing is do you love the instrument. The price paid is eventually forgotten, but you'll be reminded everyday you play about your choice. Keep in mind some of what you pay goes toward the prep of your instrument. It sounds like you've struck a pretty good deal. I don't know enough to say if it's a once in a lifetime deal, but if it was me I wouldn't care if I was really in love with the instrument.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
W
W
I have Mason & Hamlin #17669, which is 101 years old and has been the instrumental love of my life for 25 years. If you really like M & H, there is nothing else quite like it (don't know much about the newer ones).

Z
OP Offline
Z
To clarify, yes I love the piano.

The only thing holding me back is the price. Contrary to what people seem to be saying, that IS the important part. If I had gone with the Fine price, I'd pay $10,000 more, which to me is a lot of money and a valid reason not to get a particular piano.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
The only thing holding me back is the price. Contrary to what people seem to be saying, that IS the important part. If I had gone with the Fine price, I'd pay $10,000 more, which to me is a lot of money and a valid reason not to get a particular piano.

Sounds to me like it is a good deal. You say you love the piano...buy it! Or, would you sleep better at night knowing the dealer had lost money on the deal?

The dealer in Colorado, is selling BB's for that price or just a bit more...

Time's a tickin!
Online Content
To clarify, yes I love the piano.

34K is also a lot of money.

If you had gone with the Fine price, you'd be ignoring the economic recession and pretty obvious observation that there a big sales on everything, especially big ticket items. The Fine Supplement has been of great value to many people for more than a decade. It has been, as far as I know, the most accurate and used source of MSRP's that are all based on the same mark up from wholesale.

Do you mean to imply the dealer first offered the piano at 43K? I don't think anyone is saying there's a chance of getting another 10K off the latest price you were offered, so I think the real question is whether you can accept the latest offer or maybe get a small amount off it.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
The Mason AA is a GREAT piano! Go for it!

I purchased an AA in April for a few thousand more in Gaithersburg, MD. Mine has some additional customization that the dealer valued at about $4K.

With that in perspective, I think you are getting an excellent price with an MSRP of $59K. I think that even with the customization on mine you are getting a better price by about $2K. In addition to the customization, satin ebony finish, and M&H artist's bench, I also got 4 home tunings, a D-C unit and a piano cover.

I love the piano and so does my wife. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it for many years.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission