2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1236199 07/23/09 08:06 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hi all,
Got an 8th grade student who wants to audition for the local performing arts high school next year. The "minimum level" requirement is Bach inventions/classical sonatinas. She plays very well, but is not advanced enough for an invention yet. She is currently playing some Clementi, and she can use one of these as an audition piece, but she'll need something in a contrasting style (baroque, 20th cent, etc). Preferably baroque.

There are plenty of Bach minuets etc. etc. etc. that are easier than inventions, but of course I'd like her to be up to the standard. They have these requirements because obviously that is what will be expected of her at the school if she is accepted.

Any ideas on some repertoire that can get her ready for this, or something slightly easier than inventions (but that could still acceptable in this scenario?)

I'd love some help from the veterans who have students playing for auditions/competitions all the time! She is not my most advanced student, but she will be my first one to go through any kind of audition process. Thank you!

-Klavierspielen

How about one of the smaller Lyric Pieces by Grieg for a Romantic Era selection? I'm thinking of his smaller Waltzes in A Minor or E minor. These would show off some musicality as well and they are not incredibly difficult.

If you don't have the Lyric Pieces in your library you can browse them at: www.imslp.org

Hopefully others can help you with the Bach.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Are we discussing a whole year to prepare or just a month or two?

If you have a year, I'd start her in some of the preludes, such as he c minor. Then in a couple of months, start with #4. She needs to put the pressure on herself. This is doable.

If we're talking a month, can't offer much help.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
If she likes to play fast, Grieg's March of the Dwarfs is very showy and has a lyrical section.

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
My impression of these performing arts schools
is that they are generally a bad choice for
students. They're apparently not that good, and
are a terrific place for burning out students
before they graduate, like prep schools. And
they're apparently not as selective as they claim
and will take just about anyone who can perform,
because word has gotten around about just how
unimpressive they really are.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have some experience with two performing arts high schools - having visited them and being familiar with a few of their graduates.

All speak very, very highly of the education they received and the atmosphere of the schools, and when I visisted, neither school seemed to be populated with students headed towards burn-out.

I only say this because blanket statements about the quality of a certain type of institution are never wise. There are horrible public schools, and there are fantastic public schools. The same goes for private, magnet, boarding, and performing arts high schools.

As for repertoire, I'd suggest something not by Bach. His music seems to suit some better than others, so consider repertoire by other composers around the same level. The c minor Pescetti sonata (in Encore Book 2) is a favorite of mine and might work well.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
K
OP Offline
K
I'm very interested in the non-Bach concept (for the audition itself) and I am looking into the Grieg and the other romantic ideas you have all suggested! She will need to play some good Bach eventually, of course, but as far as audition prep, we'll do something different. Thanks for steering me in this direction.

Bach is done so frequently anyway, and I'm sure most of the other students will be auditioning with it... it makes a lot of sense to steer toward something that's not overdone.

She will be auditioning in 5 or 6 months.

When you have her do Bach steer her towards the Toccatas -- I think the one in E minor isn't too much of a stretch and there's a ton of room to show off artistry because of the improvisatory nature of the piece.

All of the WTC and Suites are *overplayed* but the toccatas are really special!

~Jennifer Eklund

If she's having trouble with the inventions, then the toccatas are several years down the road.

And not all the suites are overplayed. I wish the E Major and c minor French suites and G Major partita were played more often.

I also love the d minor English suite, but it's HUGE, clocking in at over 25 minutes!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Let's not forget this student isn't even yet capable of doing an invention, let alone a toccata or P & F!

Before the inventions, some of the easier dances from the suites, then some of the Little Preludes, then inventions.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eklund
When you have her do Bach steer her towards the Toccatas -- I think the one in E minor isn't too much of a stretch and there's a ton of room to show off artistry because of the improvisatory nature of the piece.

~Jennifer Eklund

Ah, but to play something "well", that is the difference, don't you think? Perhaps some pieces are overplayed but.....poorly. Nothing better for me than to hear something played VERY WELL, no matter how many times I've heard it. Just my opinion.

Piano Teacher
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
When you say "next year" are you referring to this fall? That's not much time at all.

I'm not going to suggest a specific piece, but keep in mind that playing something less challenging, very well, is going to make a better impression than trying to pull off a piece that is too difficult, even if it is more technically challenging.

Curious as to what you decide, I hope you let us know smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eklund

~Jennifer Eklund

Ah, but to play something "well", that is the difference, don't you think? Perhaps some pieces are overplayed but.....poorly. Nothing better for me than to hear something played VERY WELL, no matter how many times I've heard it. Just my opinion.

You won't hear an argument from me there.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission