2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1235711 07/23/09 12:55 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello i was looking for a technique book for piano that involves simple and practical excercises on the piano (not body awareness excercises away from it). I am not looking for hand strengthening exercises either rather ones to develope control and accuracy.
I don't know if anyone plays classical guitar here but the ideal book i am looking for would be like scott tenants "pumping nylon" where he addresses a technique and gives practical Written out(Stand. Not.) and not just explained in words. He also developed a dailey practice routine for developing control.

If there is a technique book like this out there please let me know b/c i can't find it

Thank you

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
People may laugh at this, but I thumbed through a copy of "Piano Exercises for Dummies" at the bookstore the other day and it actually looked pretty good. Give it a look and see what you think.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
It depends on your level, but I like Burnam's Dozen-A-Day series for beginners, as well as Schaum's FingerPower.
More advanced students benefit from Hanon The Complete Virtuoso, one of my favorites.

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
J
OP Offline
J
thanks i've used a dozen a days first book and am currently using some hannon exercises but i haven't looked at Scham's Book
I liked these books i just felt like something was missing.

I was looking for more of a technique book with explanations and exercises suited towards certain topics and almost like a referance book with practical dailey exercises to supplement it im not really sure if it exists?

I was also wondering if anyone has come up with any dailey control/technique exercises I could Find?

thanks
I haven't read the piano for dummies book but supprisinly the books i have seen from this series are well put together.

Last edited by josh3355; 07/23/09 05:41 PM.
M
M
Well, if I can't find one in Hanon that applies directly to a technical issue I'm working on, then I make one up for my students. I don't really know of a one-stop-shop if you know what I mean.

I haven't looked at the Piano for Dummies book either, but I would have loved to get a snap shot of Kreisler in the book store thumbing through that one LOL!
[Linked Image]

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted by Kreisler
People may laugh at this, but I thumbed through a copy of "Piano Exercises for Dummies" at the bookstore the other day and it actually looked pretty good. Give it a look and see what you think.

I prefer not to read books that insult me in the title smile

I'm going to go against the grain and discourage the use of Hanon and other repetitious exercises. Maybe it's a generational thing, but my teachers all the way up through grad school frown upon these exercises and I tend to agree.

IMO: The majority of your technical work (which shouldn't be in the form of exercises) should come from:

a) a wide variety of repertoire -- you will run into technical challenges in every piece and I consider these "real world" challenges that result in learning real music and building your foundation of skills.

b) do your technical work via scales (in diff't permutations, 3rds, 6ths, 10ths, octaves) arpeggios, etc. but don't spend the majority of your practice time here because it won't make you a good musician.

Also, if you're worried about technical problems with your playing you should be getting some advice from an experienced teacher.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

BTW...I don't mean "Piano for Dummies," I mean "Piano Exercises for Dummies." It's the only book I've seen that actually explains exercises, which is why I suggested it for this particular post.

Gyorgy Sandor's "On Piano Playing" features a lot of great explanation with examples, but doesn't really present a lot of examples.

The exercises of Hanon, Dohnanyi, Pischna, Brahms, and others can be extremely helpful, but they lack explanation. (And in most cases, good explanation and demonstration can make or break these exercises. Hanon done right is fantastic. Hanon done wrong is destructive.)

Another decent book is Carl Humphries' "The Piano Handbook." It's not as intensive as what the original poster seems to be asking for, but also worth a look.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eklund
I'm going to go against the grain and discourage the use of Hanon and other repetitious exercises. Maybe it's a generational thing, but my teachers all the way up through grad school frown upon these exercises and I tend to agree.
It's not at all against the grain. You've plenty of company.

S
S
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Hanon done right is fantastic. Hanon done wrong is destructive.)

Is there a book that explains how to do Hanon right? The introductory text itself is a little silly, I think.

J
OP Offline
J
i already tried to play piano by learning songs and working on technique when i came to it, but as a result i devloped an injury because i was to tense and never learned how to use arm wieght or gravity drops.

i am also aware of the pitful of playing meaningless repititions on excercises i was just looking for a book that gave you certain exercises to help you get/or feel the sensations of piano playing and certain techniques while being mindful of good technique.
i woudn't plan on playing these excercises forever but just so i can get basic coodination with good habbits.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You can't really learn piano technique from a book. You must have live instruction which includes both demonstration from the teacher and hands-on practice with your teacher observing.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Are you studying with somebody? I doubt that a book can explain these types of body mechanics in a way that can help every individual. The sticking point is that we all do "quirky" things when we play and often it takes someone watching us to diagnose the problem.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

J
OP Offline
J
yes i am and they say my technique is good but i feel like there kind of just talking about my posture and hand positions

also the teacher i was with before also told me i didn't have any phisically bad techniques and i still got hurt. i kind of feel that to learn good technique its good to have theory about it and have people observe you (teachers) but in the end it's about how it feels to you and how you develope it

Last edited by josh3355; 07/24/09 08:16 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
BTW thank you for all your advice everyone i appreciate all your comments
and i don't mean to say i am looking for something to replace a teacher i am just looking for something to start me off b/c not every teacher teaches good habbits or ideas

also while i have your attention has anyone seen "freeing the caged bird" by babra lister sink it seems to have very good ideas but comes short on exercises at the piano to help with her meathod (but she has plenty of movement education/ body awareness exercises that are done away from the piano) i am kind of looking for something to supplement this as well

L
L
Hi Josh,
Here is my website that may have the information that you are learning for.

http://bestsheetmusiceditions.com/piano-technique-books/

It has a lot of information about piano technique books that you may find interesting.

Last edited by liplylie; 07/24/16 11:50 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by liplylie
Hi Josh,

While looking online, I saw a website that may have the information that you are learning for.

It has a lot of information about piano technique books that you may find interesting.

Really Jordan... again???? You just looked online and happened to find YOUR OWN WEBSITE?????? You gave the show away when you posted a link in your other thread about best piano benches that is identical to the YouTube in the website. Honesty would have meant stating that you have published your personal opinions about the best technique books.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

This thread is seven years old.

To the day! (July 7)

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
L
L
I made some edits.

It is my own blog and my own thoughts on the website.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by liplylie
Hi Josh,
Here is my website that may have the information that you are learning for.

All of these technique books can be downloaded for free from imslp.com, or purchased from any sheet music vendor if you don't want to download. If you buy through the provided blog link, it gives Jordan 10% of the purchase price if bought through Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission