2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (36251, Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gordy #1235363 07/22/09 12:08 PM
B
B
Just to be clear, since Gyro decided to re-paste part of his message...I'm not saying that laptops won't get uncomfortably warm in your lap. Just that they're designed to function with the amount of heat that they generate, and that drilling holes is unnecessary for stable operation.

As far as finding one that runs comfortably cool, notebookreview.com does some fairly detailed tests on a lot of models, including temperature readings of various areas of the unit under heavy load.

Gordy #1235374 07/22/09 12:28 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Gordy, thank you so much for the details...that's really very helpful. I think I'll just be doing home recording for now. If that changes, I'll also need a more portable keyboard, but not for now.

Gyro, the issue that game up with the laptop running hot was that it just shut off. That stopped once I bought the cooling pad, the 2 fans keep it very cool.

I appreciate all the input on Macs from satisfied users. I will check out the refurbished store, but first I'll watch the tutorials on the web site and spend some time in the Mac store...maybe I'll get lucky and find a tech who's into music.

L
L
Drilling holes in a laptop, or indeed in a well-designed desktop, will probably lead to overheating. Bear in mind, as said above, that these machines are designed to get hot and that they have very specific ventilation routes through the vents and casings. Disrupt that and you'll cause all sorts of problems.

The basic issue you have here is called 'Dell', they're just rubbish basically, I don't know why people get duped into buying them.

I was a long-time Windows sufferer before changing to Apple Mac's 4 years or so ago and my only complaint is that I didn't do it sooner. My computer time has shifted from constant maintenance and problem solving to using and pleasure.

And entry-level MacBook would be totally suitable - they are very expensive and it will be good for years.

If you must continue with PC's then be prepared to pay for a well designed machine that will cost about the same as the Macs anyway - you don't get something for nothing in this game...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
One "heat" thing I forgot to mention about MacBook Pros that have dual Nvidia graphics cards (all the unibody models AFAIK) Is that the computer runs a good bit hotter on the faster discrete graphics card than it does on the slower graphics card that's on the motherboard( or "logic board" as Apple calls it). It gets too hot on the faster card to put on your lap, but the performance increase for programs like Finale 2009 that eat up graphics capacity is well worth it. i might consider one of those cooling pads for when I have it hooked up to my 24" LED Cinema Display (the BEST display I have ever used!) on my desk. BTW, the displays on MB Pros are great too.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
One "heat" thing I forgot to mention about MacBook Pros that have dual Nvidia graphics cards (all the unibody models AFAIK) Is that the computer runs a good bit hotter on the faster discrete graphics card than it does on the slower graphics card that's on the motherboard( or "logic board" as Apple calls it). It gets too hot on the faster card to put on your lap, but the performance increase for programs like Finale 2009 that eat up graphics capacity is well worth it. i might consider one of those cooling pads for when I have it hooked up to my 24" LED Cinema Display (the BEST display I have ever used!) on my desk. BTW, the displays on MB Pros are great too.

To be honest the Macbook Pro runs kinda hot on the integrated graphics as well. I got this program called smcfancontrol and most of the time I keep the fans boosted to about 3300 rpm (stock = 2000 rpm). The computer is a bit louder but it's a lot more lap-holdable. Still gets really warm, but nothing too uncomfortable.

Even with the heat and a couple other problems (will go to the Apple store soon), I'd recommend getting one if you're even considering it. I like it better than any of the Windows laptops I've owned and used - which include higher-end Thinkpads, Dells, and Sonys. It worked with my Yamaha DP great until recently, but I suspect the DP is at fault since it is the only USB device I'm having issues with.

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Nikalette:
Regarding the Mac and digital pianos, not all of them support drivers for Mac OS (in your case, I think Yamaha makes a Mac driver for the YPG 635). Also, there isn't as much software that will run on a Mac. In general, expect to pay more for Mac software vs PC, (expect to pay more for a Mac computer). Now having said all this, unless you are planning on hooking up your DP to record into your Mac via sequencing software like Pro Tools, there isn't anything to be concerned about. But just understand that if you do wind up composing, arranging or using your 635 to record MIDI files then the software thing comes into play and there is much more available for Windows than there is Mac and cost of software will also become a factor.

galaxy4t #1235576 07/22/09 07:29 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Nikalette:
Regarding the Mac and digital pianos, not all of them support drivers for Mac OS (in your case, I think Yamaha makes a Mac driver for the YPG 635). Also, there isn't as much software that will run on a Mac. In general, expect to pay more for Mac software vs PC, (expect to pay more for a Mac computer). Now having said all this, unless you are planning on hooking up your DP to record into your Mac via sequencing software like Pro Tools, there isn't anything to be concerned about. But just understand that if you do wind up composing, arranging or using your 635 to record MIDI files then the software thing comes into play and there is much more available for Windows than there is Mac and cost of software will also become a factor.

Since the switch to Intel processors there is a lot more available for Mac OS X, and I imagine more still will become available in the future.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Not only does all Mac software run on Intel Macs, so does Windows and a lot of Unix software.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1235860 07/23/09 11:04 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Good point, BDB. In fact a lot of people who put Windows on their Macs say that Macs are the fastest Windows machines you can get. You do need to be careful of security, though, because Windows on a Mac is still Windows.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you are going to dual boot your Mac, what's the point of owning it in the first place? Most people who buy Macs, buy them for the advantages of the Mac OS. Dual Booting just makes them expensive PC clones with Apple logos on them. Doesn't seem worth spending the extra $$$ Macs command.

galaxy4t #1236010 07/23/09 03:06 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It's no different than dual booting Windows and Linux. You still have OS X. The Windows version of Office has more features than the Mac version (at least the last I've heard). Gamers generally still prefer Windows. There's tons of reasons. And did you miss the part about Macs running Windows faster?

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm not sure I fully understand the whole dual operating systems thing on MAC. I'll read up on it, but since it's all one hard drive, I'm guessing you will be integrating the evil PC viral magnet stuff to your virginal Mac.

Hey, I've already got 2 pretty decent Dells (if there is such a thing), one 3 years old running XP, the other 1 year old running Vista. They're both laptops, so I think I'll just add a Mac to the equation. It's not really a substitute, although I suspect I'll end up using it much more.

I guess the complicating factor will be if I ever get tech savy enough to really use the computer/digital keyboard/whatever else goes there, fully...at this point I would use Garageband for music stuff since it comes with the Mac. By the time I get sophisticated on musical computer stuff, they'll probably be more options yet.

I am waiting to get a mac with snow leopard though.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
True dual-boot utilizes hard drive partitions which are theoretically completely separate. You have to reboot each time you need a different OS. Or you can use software like VMware or Parallels Desktop that allows you to run Windows on a virtual machine in windowed form, which does not require a reboot which simplifies file-sharing between the OSs. Naturally this option is slower than running Windows natively. And yes you need to keep your antivirus and security stuff up-to-date. Additionally you have to buy Windows which is quite expensive.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 07/23/09 03:36 PM.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Nikalette,
If you are interested in the Mac, I think you have the right idea in adding it to the mix. Although dual booting is popular and desireable for some users, it seems to defeat the purpose of owning a Mac in my opinion and adds additional expense beyond the purchase of the Mac alone.

galaxy4t #1236051 07/23/09 04:01 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
If you are going to dual boot your Mac, what's the point of owning it in the first place? Most people who buy Macs, buy them for the advantages of the Mac OS. Dual Booting just makes them expensive PC clones with Apple logos on them. Doesn't seem worth spending the extra $$$ MacIs command.

Most Mac users who dual boot generally do so because they need to run one or two programs which are not written for the Mac platform... but they aren't buying a Mac for the primary purpose of running Windows software. For example, I only dual boot because I occasionally need to update several very important Access databases. Access has never been written for Mac and, IMO, it's a better program than FileMaker Pro (available on both platforms.)

That said, I know of two people who bought expensive MacBook Pros for the sole purpose of running Windows Vista. They simply prefer Apple hardware... and they didn't mind the extra expense. Oddly, one of those users told me that he thought Windows was more 'fluid' than the Mac OS, though what that means I have no idea.

Jason
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I want to explain that I am really good at some tech stuff, but there are other things that I am at pre-K level. Those would be music applications (I can't even put a song on My Space) and wireless.

My new Dell (and for all I know) my old Dell are all set up for wireless, I purchased a router, I have a gateway, and everytime I've tried to figure it out with Windows, my eyes glaze over.

So here we are with both computers and everything else hooked up to our broadband things...same issue when I had cable internet.

HOWEVER, when I look at the Apple site it looks like it is really easy to set up wireless. Could it be true? A friend of mine had her learning disabled daughter set up a network in about 1/2 hour on Mac, yet I who have a graduate degree cannot even get through the Windows help and support page.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, yeah, wireless is super easy on Mac. I already had my home network, and all I had to do was turn off the security features so my Mac could find the network. The machine then remembers any network it has joined, so it will always connect if that network is available. Then turn on the security stuff once you are done. Also, use WPA 2 Personal encryption on your wireless if the router is capable. WEP keys can be cracked by any fool with the right program in minutes. WPA 2 offers defense grade 256 bit encryption.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
[...]

That said, I know of two people who bought expensive MacBook Pros for the sole purpose of running Windows Vista. They simply prefer Apple hardware... and they didn't mind the extra expense. Oddly, one of those users told me that he thought Windows was more 'fluid' than the Mac OS, though what that means I have no idea.

That's funny because I used Vista on a new Dell desktop a few weeks ago, and it came across as a cheap imitation of Mac OS X's look without any of the benefit of a UNIX foundation. In other words, the cursing thing froze 5 minutes into what I was doing!! That never happens on a Mac. When something crashes it does not take your whole computer down with it on a Mac. Truthfully, OS X Leopard is the fastest, smoothest OS I have ever used. Everything is seamless and sleek.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 07/23/09 08:52 PM.

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Oh, yeah, wireless is super easy on Mac. I already had my home network, and all I had to do was turn off the security features so my Mac could find the network. The machine then remembers any network it has joined, so it will always connect if that network is available. Then turn on the security stuff once you are done. Also, use WPA 2 Personal encryption on your wireless if the router is capable. WEP keys can be cracked by any fool with the right program in minutes. WPA 2 offers defense grade 256 bit encryption.

Would somebody please translate that for me?

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by argerichfan
[...]

That's funny because I used Vista on a new Dell desktop a few weeks ago, and it came across as a cheap imitation of Mac OS X's look without any of the benefit of a UNIX foundation. In other words, the cursing thing froze 5 minutes into what I was doing!! That never happens on a Mac. When something crashes it does not take your whole computer down with it on a Mac. Truthfully, OS X Leopard is the fastest, smoothest OS I have ever used. Everything is seamless and sleek.

The Dell is such garbage...My audio stops working periodically for no reason at all. I have to restart, then it comes back . Then sometimes it puts out static for fun and reverts to normal for no reason.

I have a 3 year warranty..why don't I call Dell and have it fixed?

Oh, I remember...I'll spend six hours on the phone struggling to understand the technician who is reading from some kind of protocal card which implies my computer isn't working because I'm an idiot and they can't send the PROMISED live technician because they don't fix software or OS problems, and the problems are NEVER with the hardware...but just in case they might be, they'll make me take apart the computer, snapping in and out fragile and toxic components the names of which I can't even imagine, based on instructions given to me in a language which seems to be a blend of Farsi and classical dutch, and then cheerfully thank me for choosing Dell, after encouraging me to buy a Mac, and telling me the computer is fixed, even though the screen is blinking ominously and high pitched screams are emanating from the speakers....

Oh, wait, the screams are coming from me, and the blinking screen is actually the precursor visual components of what we nurses like to call "THE WORST HEADACHE OF MY LIFE!"

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission