2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 190 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 189 190
Waltz – I really liked you recordings of “Frankie and Johnnie” and “Black is the Color”. “Frankie and Johnnie” was another one of my many favorites in book 2. That transition is about the only issue I could hear in your recording, and it is a tricky one.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone smile . How did you do the transition? Fast fingers or is there another technique?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Waltz, I like the sound of Black is the Color. Very nice.

AWTPP, Did you happen to save that 6 to 7 minute performance of Solace on YouTube? I would love to see it if you still have it since I'll be moving on to this piece next.

I've got Alexander's Ragtime Band together and up to tempo, but with a few mistakes at the end.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Key Notes

AWTPP, Did you happen to save that 6 to 7 minute performance of Solace on YouTube? I would love to see it if you still have it since I'll be moving on to this piece next.

I've got Alexander's Ragtime Band together and up to tempo, but with a few mistakes at the end.

Key Notes smile

Sure!

Here are a couple of clips showing the entire piece. You'll see links to other versions in the "related videos" tool bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRWvPMzyCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5hagMTuDg

This is the one that really blew me away. It's just the second movement, and the video is a little jumpy, because it appears to be taken from the player's perspective. But it shows just how simplified our version is in Alfred's. It's really something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAhdKFsgbo

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Key Notes, yes, it is a lovely tune and fairly easy to play.

AWTPP, thanks for sharing those links. The last rendition (that blew you away) seemed to be less dark than the Alfred's arrangement; more playful or frolicsome perhaps.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My playing of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRrEK8XCf58

I liked this one

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano

Key Notes smile

Sure!

Here are a couple of clips showing the entire piece. You'll see links to other versions in the "related videos" tool bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRWvPMzyCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5hagMTuDg

This is the one that really blew me away. It's just the second movement, and the video is a little jumpy, because it appears to be taken from the player's perspective. But it shows just how simplified our version is in Alfred's. It's really something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAhdKFsgbo

Thanks AWTPP. [Linked Image] Will check them out when I get a chance.

Key Notes smile

Last edited by Key Notes; 06/22/09 01:17 AM.

Originally Posted by Waltz
Thanks Undone smile . How did you do the transition? Fast fingers or is there another technique?

Hi Waltz,

I had to wait until I got home and tried it before I could answer your question. First a disclaimer: I am not a piano teacher nor am I currently under the tutelage of one, so anything I’m doing could well be the “wrong way”; proceed at your own risk.

With that said, they way I played this was different than when playing an entire chord with the left hand. In that case I would move the entire “hand shape” into the new position. For the left hand transition in Frankie and Johnnie (5-2-1 rinse and repeat), I keep the 2-1 more or less over the F & G and just move 5 up to play the E-flat. Then, as that is being played, I move 2-1 up into position for the B-flat & C. It feels a little funny at first, but (with a little practice) allows me to make this change without a noticeable pause.

Hope that makes sense.

Undone

[Linked Image]
My playing of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRrEK8XCf58

I liked this one

Wow! You really nailed that one.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone

Hi Waltz,

I had to wait until I got home and tried it before I could answer your question. First a disclaimer: I am not a piano teacher nor am I currently under the tutelage of one, so anything I’m doing could well be the “wrong way”; proceed at your own risk.

With that said, they way I played this was different than when playing an entire chord with the left hand. In that case I would move the entire “hand shape” into the new position. For the left hand transition in Frankie and Johnnie (5-2-1 rinse and repeat), I keep the 2-1 more or less over the F & G and just move 5 up to play the E-flat. Then, as that is being played, I move 2-1 up into position for the B-flat & C. It feels a little funny at first, but (with a little practice) allows me to make this change without a noticeable pause.

Hope that makes sense.

Undone

All right, that actually makes me feel better. If I understand you correctly, then how you played it is one of the strategies I had tried. However, like you said, it feels awkward at first, and so I decided to simply try increasing my speed, which I never succeeded at doing. I surmised that I was probably not talented enough to do the smooth transition but by what you said, it is probably more of a technique issue. Thanks smile

And thanks for listening to When Johnny Comes Marching Home and for your comments. That is such a fun thing to play

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How are things going for you Undone? Have you began Book 3 or are you taking a break to work on other items?

[Linked Image]
W
W
Its been freezing cold here when I get home so I lose some practice time waiting for the heater to warm the house up!

But I ticked of Guantanamera, I can play it through without errors half the time and got a few good recordings. I am almost done with Light and Blue but I want to get a bit more speed with it and work a little more on not looking at the keyboard so much.

Keen to move onto the next few pieces though I'm still working on the two songs from the greatest hits, they seem a but harder than anything in book 2 so far.

How are things going for you Undone? Have you began Book 3 or are you taking a break to work on other items?

Things are going well. I’m “hard at work” in book 3, I’ve completed the first two pieces; “A Super-Special Sorta Song” (what a name) and “Calypso Rhumba”, and have started on the third “Fandango”. There’s also a bunch of new theory work in the beginning of book 3 (circle of fifths and the names of positions within the diatonic scale). So far, so good.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go! That was quick for the first two.

How is your practice time distributed each day? As far as completed pieces, new pieces, and exercises.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone

Things are going well. I’m “hard at work” in book 3, I’ve completed the first two pieces; “A Super-Special Sorta Song” (what a name) and “Calypso Rhumba”, and have started on the third “Fandango”. There’s also a bunch of new theory work in the beginning of book 3 (circle of fifths and the names of positions within the diatonic scale). So far, so good.

Undone

Yay!!! You're off to a wonderful start in book 3 Undone. That's really great, but not too surprising. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Wrenn
Its been freezing cold here when I get home so I lose some practice time waiting for the heater to warm the house up!

But I ticked of Guantanamera, I can play it through without errors half the time and got a few good recordings. I am almost done with Light and Blue but I want to get a bit more speed with it and work a little more on not looking at the keyboard so much.

Keen to move onto the next few pieces though I'm still working on the two songs from the greatest hits, they seem a but harder than anything in book 2 so far.

Hi Wrenn, I don't know where you live but it was in the 80s here today, pretty hot but I love it. Hope it'll warm up for you soon.

May I ask which two songs in the Alfred's Greatest Hits book you are referring to that you felt are a bit harder than some of book 2's songs which you've already encountered so far?

Key Notes smile

W
W

Hi Wrenn, I don't know where you live but it was in the 80s here today, pretty hot but I love it. Hope it'll warm up for you soon.

May I ask which two songs in the Alfred's Greatest Hits book you are referring to that you felt are a bit harder than some of book 2's songs which you've already encountered so far?

Key Notes smile

Im in Australia so it winter here. I miss the warm weather but at least the cold means its skiing season!

The book I have is actually Alfreds All-Time Favorites book 2. The first two pieces are Dance of the Hours and Gypsy Love Song. You can see the sheet music for the first piece here:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/look_inside/3659065/image/186683

I find the first piece the hardest mainly because of the sections where the right hand plays a complicated melody, while the left hand is also doing complicated stuff. So far in most alfreds pieces the complex sections are short and usually just one hand is doing something tricky, and the other one is doing something predictable.

The second isn't that hard, it just feels hard because I haven't practiced it much yet ;-)

Way to go! That was quick for the first two.

How is your practice time distributed each day? As far as completed pieces, new pieces, and exercises.

If I’m lucky, I can get about an hour to practice each weekday (more time usually, but not always, is available to me on the weekends). I always start out with some scales and such to warm up and then go right into my “current/new pieces”. I try to spend the bulk of my practice time on these, but I save a little time at the end to run through “my repertoire” (and I use the term lightly) of pieces that I try to keep somewhat in shape. For these I have a list of pieces that I simply rotate through at the end of a practice session playing anywhere from one to three of them a day. If I have some extra time, this is also where I will play around with some of the other music in my ever expanding collection in search of pieces that I’d like to add to my “current/new pieces” study that come from sources other then my current Alfred’s A-I-O book.

Right now my “current/new pieces” consists solely of Book 3 pieces (which is why I’m making some decent progress). I’m sure this won’t last however; I always have other pieces I’m itching to work on.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Waltz excellent job on When Johnny Comes Marching Home thumb It really sounds like you had fun with that one.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's interesting that you spend most of your time on new pieces, something I will keep in mind. I have thought of reorganizing the method I practice. Thanks for sharing that Undone.

EDIT: Do you practice arpeggios or Hanon along with scales? Currently, I only really do scale exercises. Thanks again Undone.

Thanks HBG! It is a fun thing to play, not too hard but an exercise for the hands

Last edited by Waltz; 06/24/09 05:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My playing of Waltz in G Minor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh40MwjZ9Tc

[Linked Image]
Page 61 of 190 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission