2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't read the entire book, but have read parts. Some of it, I found to be useful.

I doubt if any two people learn in exactly the same way. What might work for one, may not work effectly for another. Its one man's opinion. Try it. If it works, great. If not, then don't use it.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I also read it several times, and made my own abbreviated version by cutting and pasting things that seemed important. I think it's worth reading, at least in so far as it gives you things to think about and try. But I'm with Akira: learning styles vary so much that one practice method doesn't fit all. I've modified some of his ideas to suit me, and they've worked quite well.

Some of it does seem like snake oil, though. At least he doesn't recommend practicing with a coin on your hand.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by moscheles001
I also read it several times, and made my own abbreviated version by cutting and pasting things that seemed important..

Would you post that or PM it to me? I'd love to have a look

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Waltz, I PM'd it to you. I've never PM'd before; I hope I did it right.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There is one concept of his that I have found very helpful. The whole notion of playing a difficult passage over, and over, and over, in high repetition, until you can play it smoothly, even faster than the listed tempo (for passages whose difficulty is attributable to the speed of the notes played... this doesn't work as well on passages that are difficult for other reasons.)

This may be obvious to many of you, but it was a real revelation to me, and I use the suggestion all the time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
That's one I believe he "borrowed" from other sources. I've seen it in books published way before his book came out.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
True, it isn't Chang's original idea. But I can't fault him for that, since the book itself is free.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, that and the near certainty that I would not have come across the suggestion from the original sources. Not as quickly as I did, anyway.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
C
C
I've commented elsewhere before on Chang's book. I read it when I first started playing almost 3 years ago and since then, I've kept track of how many of the things he recommends have been recommended by the two teachers I've worked with. There are lots. And I haven't seen anything he recommends contradicted yet by my teachers or things I've read elsewhere. However, I still affectionately view this as my internet quack guide to piano and maintain a critical stance. The methods have helped me, but I also haven't really begun to use them to the fullest.

Also, I don't think Chang even pretends in the least that any of the material in the book is original, certainly not originating from him. His point is that there is three centuries worth of piano playing knowledge and pedagogy out there and it hasn't been properly documented or passed along. This is an analytical and thorough account of how to develop piano technique rather than an intuitive, natural approach.

Someone else claimed that Chang himself doesn't play. It seems to me that he does play. That he himself used and uses the techniques. He simply isn't a piano star, but I would imagine he is what most ABF people aspire to be, a highly competent adult pianist.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Waltz
Originally Posted by moscheles001
I also read it several times, and made my own abbreviated version by cutting and pasting things that seemed important..

Would you post that or PM it to me? I'd love to have a look

I posted a public google doc of a highlighted version of Chang's book about a year ago. I used yellow highlight on the sections I thought communicated the basic ideas, and cut out a lot of the beginning testimonials and other things not relevant to the subject matter. It is a difficult read to understand what he's written, not a good candidate for casual reading.

My 2 sentence summary of his 300 page book is to practice hands separate at full speed or better to develop musicality and technique first before putting hands together. Memorization is an integral part of learning a piece- by the time it's learned, it's memorized.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
M
Thanks, MarkL, for this.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, thanks! I wish I'd found your highlighted version earlier. You've probably emphasized some things that I missed.

Chang can be a tough read. I don't understand what he means by "thrust." "Pull" makes perfect sense, but thrusting into the keys doesn't seem like a secure way to play. Am I understanding him correctly?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission