2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 67 of 190 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 189 190
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Great insight 4ever on both the recording stuff and on Clayderman. Wow this competition looks interesting ... I'm about to watch it now (I think it's over an hour long!)>

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You want technique? Check this one out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYfVyPwo76k&feature=related

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice posts 4everbeginner, you seem to know a lot about these songs in Alfred's, keep sharing.

I see you skipped to Divertimento in D. If you want to mainly focus in on learning the "nice" classical pieces that are not too difficult, I recommend giving "Night Song" a try. It is one of my favorites from the book. It teaches the first inversion, looks and sounds difficult (as is indicated), but really isn't that hard to play.

I know you are a returning player, so maybe skipping makes sense for that reason, but I would at least give each page a glance to make sure you are familiar with what is introduced, and maybe attempt certain measures which focus in on that particular skill. Alfred's really is a progressive skill building method book. But I will be the first to relate to your sentiment of not liking many of the pieces in the book.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Quick update:

I gave myself the pass on Danny Boy tonight! I have now officially begun Canon in D smile

Danny Boy was extremely tough, and it thoroughly frustrated me. When I woke up this morning and began to practice it, I knew I now had the ability to play the entire thing. The hard part is actually playing it from beginning to end without making an error which I do before I move on. I spent probably 3 hours today, off and on, trying to pull it off. I had several good runs, from beginning to end, but every time I just felt "something was off". Finally, tonight, I was able to play it acceptably, once, and thus gave myself the pass.

Canon in D looks much more intimidating, and involves fancy finger work, but it, as pointed out earlier, has obvious patterns and consistency. I mean, so far the left had does the same simple pattern over and over, while the right gets down to business. I've only practiced it for around 30 minutes, but it seems as though the right hand is playing the same sequential chords but in a progressively complex manner. It is sort of A B C D, then more complex version of A B C D and so on and so on. I think this piece will probably be easier to learn than "Danny Boy", and I am excited to be finally on it. Danny Boy had nearly no consistency, it is more of a roller coaster type thing, at least for the beginning pianist (or whatever).

Best,

W

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Waltz
Quick update:

Canon in D looks much more intimidating, and involves fancy finger work, but it, as pointed out earlier, has obvious patterns and consistency. I mean, so far the left had does the same simple pattern over and over, while the right gets down to business. I've only practiced it for around 30 minutes, but it seems as though the right hand is playing the same sequential chords but in a progressively complex manner. It is sort of A B C D, then more complex version of A B C D and so on and so on. I think this piece will probably be easier to learn than "Danny Boy", and I am excited to be finally on it. Danny Boy had nearly no consistency, it is more of a roller coaster type thing, at least for the beginning pianist (or whatever).

Best,

W

Canon in D isn't hard. smile Practice the first couple of lines of the left hand (before it changes) until you can do it without thinking about it. This will let you focus on the right hand better; and combining the two if you choose to practice it by itself (which I recommend). When you get to where the left hand changes again, do the same thing - practice the left until you can do it without thinking or looking much. The first change on the left hand has you doing the same notes an octave apart, but it's the same part.

I haven't passed myself on it yet, as I need to finish it up by working on the dynamics, and I'm still a little bit rough on the final page. But I've moved onto a slightly more complicated version by Dan Coates that's still 4 pages, but more complex to start. The pattern of notes is still the same though. (D, A, B, F#, G, D, G, A)

And here's a hilarious comedy bit on Pachelbel (originally seen here on the forum, but another thread somewhere - and worth sharing again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Good job Waltz, sounds like you nailed the beast! This is one of the songs I don't recall trying before, but I look forward to the challenge of playing it.

The good news is that I got a hold of Alexander's Ragtime Band, which now after the fact does not look too hard! A few upcoming songs should be a breeze for me as I tried them before, some will be very challenging like La Bamba, and I hope to be near Danny Boy by summer end.

Hi everyone.

I've been away from the forum for a while. I've been trying to upgrade from my console piano to baby grand. It's been a full time job, almost, but it gets delivered this afternoon laugh. I settled on a Kawai RX 2.

Hey Waltz congrats on passing Danny Boy. I hear it's hard but it's not in my version of Alfred 2. You must be almost done with book 2.

I'm almost done with Aloha OE and America The Beautiful. I have started working on Pomp and Circumstance.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Nancy that video is hilarious!!! I had never seen it before.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nancy,

Thanks for that advice. It really is probably the best way to do it, memorizing the LH so it can go on "auto-pilot" smile . That is what I will most likely have to do. How did you find Danny Boy in comparison to Canon in D?

MIM,

Thanks smile . Congrats on mastering ARB, what are you tackling next?

HBG,

Thanks to you too, congrats on the new piano, let us know how it plays smile

I'll try to record DB sometime or another

[Linked Image]
N
N
Nancy,

Thanks for that advice. It really is probably the best way to do it, memorizing the LH so it can go on "auto-pilot" smile . That is what I will most likely have to do. How did you find Danny Boy in comparison to Canon in D?

"Danny Boy" is on my list to go back to - I skipped ahead to get to Canon in D (at my instructor's direction) Based on my initial playing around though - I think Canon is easier because the patterns are so prevalent.

Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie

I've been away from the forum for a while. I've been trying to upgrade from my console piano to baby grand. It's been a full time job, almost, but it gets delivered this afternoon laugh. I settled on a Kawai RX 2.

Oooh - I'd love one of those. I bought a Kawai K-3 upright last year and I really like the way the action on it feels; and the sound is great.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Danny Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltATQTQWbE

I noticed that I increased my speed after the first part, and there were a couple of spots that weren't smooth and some poor transitions. I did not realize I did this while playing, it is difficult to catch such things. Let me know what you think.

[Linked Image]
N
N
Danny Boy:

I noticed that I increased my speed after the first part, and there were a couple of spots that weren't smooth and some poor transitions. I did not realize I did this while playing, it is difficult to catch such things. Let me know what you think.

Sounds good! I think you're right about the transitions and speed; but while listening to it, I very much enjoyed the music. Thank you for sharing smile

(I'm working on sprucing up Canon in D enough to record it)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancy_w
Danny Boy:

Sounds good! I think you're right about the transitions and speed; but while listening to it, I very much enjoyed the music. Thank you for sharing smile

(I'm working on sprucing up Canon in D enough to record it)

Thanks Nancy smile ,

I actually just finished a practice session with Canon in D and Danny Boy. I made corrections to my tempo and other problems and played Danny Boy correctly from beginning to end. I feel like I am really getting the hang of the piece, but it's still really difficult.

Canon in D is so pretty to play, even during the learning phase! Generally, pieces sound like crap until you become somewhat "fluent" at them, but CiD isn't one of them. I took digital photos of all 4 pages and uploaded them onto my computer. In a day or so I'll print them and attempt to arrange all four pages to fit on my piano stand. It took a bunch of attempts with the camera to make the lines and notes clear from top to bottom but I finally got it. If you (Nancy) or anyone else needs/wants the pictures let me know and I'll email you them.

sincerely,

[Linked Image]
Good job on Danny Boy Waltz. I can hear what you were talking about with the speed but it still sounds really good.

Thanks for the congrats on the piano Waltz and Nancy. It truly is my dream piano and as soon as I polish Aloha OE and America the Beautiful I will make my first recording on it.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry for my absence here. I am exactly where I was since my last post in this thread, which is that I am essentially done with... what was it... The Mexican Hat Dance? My piano time these days is dominated by work on my ABF Recital piece entry, which I am truly enjoying. I'll be back before long.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie
Good job on Danny Boy Waltz. I can hear what you were talking about with the speed but it still sounds really good.

Thanks for the congrats on the piano Waltz and Nancy. It truly is my dream piano and as soon as I polish Aloha OE and America the Beautiful I will make my first recording on it.

Thanks smile

I would especially like to hear America the Beautiful on your new piano. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the differences of feel between your digital and baby grand pianos.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Seriously,

I mean,

the hardest part of playing Canon in D thus far is the key it's in. I've been playing in either Bb major or Eb major (or heck, G minor (the relative of Bb maj.)!), for a LONG time in Alfred's 2. These keys are all very related/similar. Then, of course, the final piece is in a completely different key, a 180! It is so difficult to switch "off" the automatic move my hands make to play all B's and E's flat much less to play the F's and C's sharp.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, and I play on rerecording Danny Boy, I really am unsatisfied with the first attempt. . .

[Linked Image]
N
N
The first time I played it through with my instructor (sloooooooooooooowly. so slowly it didn't sound like music at all), I kept making the same mistake. She was very patient with me. smile

I find that when I'm switching keys I like to find all the sharps or flats and play just those a few times to remind myself that those are different. Thinking about it now, I should play the scale for that key a few times before starting the piece; that way you could see how the progression goes. (Hmm... I think this is a great idea - one I'll have to implement).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seriously,

I mean,

the hardest part of playing Canon in D thus far is the key it's in. I've been playing in either Bb major or Eb major (or heck, G minor (the relative of Bb maj.)!), for a LONG time in Alfred's 2. These keys are all very related/similar. Then, of course, the final piece is in a completely different key, a 180! It is so difficult to switch "off" the automatic move my hands make to play all B's and E's flat much less to play the F's and C's sharp.

Yeah, D-major was like the first part of the book. You think he did that on purpose just in case you forgot it by the end.

btw, I'm playing Night Song as suggested and really liking it.

Page 67 of 190 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission