2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Colin Miles, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi, I'm returning to teaching and was interested to learn what method books you use for beginner students (children). I know the Faber PA are quite popular, although browsing through some others, I liked the layout of Bastien a little better. I grew up on Schaum and loved the music, but truthfully, am not too familiar with current method series. I'd love to hear about your preferences and the reasons. Thanks!

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I like the PA quite a bit, although I'll use Hal Leonard to change things up a bit. I only use the method books for the first few, then I switch into repertoire books. No method is really perfect, but I like the pacing that these two offer students, and the kids seem to enjoy the music. I'm not fond of relying too much on hand positions, so I do avoid Alfred and Bastien.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have used Alfred, Bastien, Noona, PA, and others. They really all do pretty much the same thing for the young beginners (<8 or so) IMO. Some move along quicker than others do.
Alfred and Bastien rely heavily on finger numbers, so if I'm using those books, I do a lot of marking out of them.
I have had a few kids move out of those too, they move a little slowly for older beginners.

PA is my favorite, but I do use them all. I try real hard to convince parents to buy 2 different kinds for their kids, so that the kids don't realize if one is further along than another. I can just tell the kids "these books are all different, a 3 in one is like a 2 in another" so they don't feel behind.

I also use "fun" books and "repertoire" books along with them as soon as I can. I never have them buy the theory books, I have all those worksheets in a file that I hand out (2 a week until they have gone through them all).

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
I use Piano Adventures, but every now and then I toy with trying out Piano Town. (If the store in town stocked it, I'd probably put a few students in it.)

That being said, the most important thing about choosing a method is knowing how to use it. Why are things presented in the way and order that they are? What should be accomplished with each piece? Do you agree with how new concepts are presented? Are you familiar with compatible supplementary materials? Is there a reasonable amount of support in the local stores and community? Online? (Something I like about Piano Adventures is the PianoTeaching.com website and forums there.)

I like Piano Adventures for all of those reasons - I know how it works, I'm comfortable with the pedagogy, it does a good job of preparing students for the standard literature, it's always in stock at the local store, I have written some of my own supplementary material that is compatible (as I write this, I'm working on a set of rhythm worksheets for levels 1 and 2.) Piano Adventures also does a good job of preparing students for our state and local festivals.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi, Welcome back to the fold!

I'd been using a mix of Francis Clark, Noona, and Bastien for years, then one day, not so long ago, Keith Snell and Diane Hidy came to town and told us all about Piano Town, a series they had jointly developed. I took the plunge and never looked back.

The method assumes your accomplished as a pianist, have the fundamental knowledge, and generally understand sound pedagogical procedures. What unfolds is a straight forward presentation introducing the student to piano (and the illustration and words to many songs directly relate to materials they're studying in school, which helps). Students get what they need when they need it.

Of course, many teachers prefer to lead the student on the voyage of piano discovery not using a method. Good for them. I'm a member of the, "Why reinvent the wheel?" school of teaching. If something works, and works well, take advantage of it.

Depending on student, you can transition to a repertoire series sooner or later, without leaving out important basics.

Hope this helps you.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I'm not fond of relying too much on hand positions, so I do avoid Alfred and Bastien.

Thanks, Morodiene. What do you mean about relying too much on hand positions? Are you referring to Middle C method?

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory
I have used Alfred, Bastien, Noona, PA, and others. They really all do pretty much the same thing for the young beginners (<8 or so) IMO. Some move along quicker than others do.
Alfred and Bastien rely heavily on finger numbers, so if I'm using those books, I do a lot of marking out of them.
I have had a few kids move out of those too, they move a little slowly for older beginners.

PA is my favorite, but I do use them all. I try real hard to convince parents to buy 2 different kinds for their kids, so that the kids don't realize if one is further along than another. I can just tell the kids "these books are all different, a 3 in one is like a 2 in another" so they don't feel behind.

I also use "fun" books and "repertoire" books along with them as soon as I can. I never have them buy the theory books, I have all those worksheets in a file that I hand out (2 a week until they have gone through them all).

Hi, thanks for the response. I agree about moving ahead to other fun books and repertoire books. I want to be able to provide the best beginning instruction without losing their interest (such as, not actually playing staff notes until about page 32). I was distracted by the finger numbers in some of the methods.

Thanks for the tip about using more than one method with kids and using worksheets instead of theory books. Do you make up your own?

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks Kreisler. I've taken some of your questions into consideration. Quick access is important for me, as well as the pace of the series, popularity among colleagues, presentation, etc. I am so easily overwhelmed by too much information, so narrowing down methods will make my decision much easier. I'm intrigued with Piano Town and will look into that. Thanks again.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kreisler

I like Piano Adventures for all of those reasons - I know how it works, I'm comfortable with the pedagogy, it does a good job of preparing students for the standard literature, it's always in stock at the local store, I have written some of my own supplementary material that is compatible (as I write this, I'm working on a set of rhythm worksheets for levels 1 and 2.) Piano Adventures also does a good job of preparing students for our state and local festivals.

And thanks for this info, I think I am definitely going to use PA. I like the idea that there's a website to refer to as well.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Hi, Welcome back to the fold!

I'd been using a mix of Francis Clark, Noona, and Bastien for years, then one day, not so long ago, Keith Snell and Diane Hidy came to town and told us all about Piano Town, a series they had jointly developed. I took the plunge and never looked back.

The method assumes your accomplished as a pianist, have the fundamental knowledge, and generally understand sound pedagogical procedures. What unfolds is a straight forward presentation introducing the student to piano (and the illustration and words to many songs directly relate to materials they're studying in school, which helps). Students get what they need when they need it.

Of course, many teachers prefer to lead the student on the voyage of piano discovery not using a method. Good for them. I'm a member of the, "Why reinvent the wheel?" school of teaching. If something works, and works well, take advantage of it.

Depending on student, you can transition to a repertoire series sooner or later, without leaving out important basics.

Hope this helps you.

John

Hi John, thanks for the welcome back! I think I referred to Piano Town to the wrong person, but in any event, thanks for the info. I will definitely look into that series. It sounds wonderful, however, as you said, it is more useful for the student with some musical background. I assume you still use the methods you referred to for the beginning students?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
No, I no longer use the other methods. For most students I use Piano Town. For a very few select students, I use Jane Tan's method (hard to come by). It's been a while since I've looked at PA, but my recollection is that Piano Town is slightly faster paced, but does have considerable depth with supplemental material for the slower student.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Even as an author of my own series of method books, I rarely use more than the first 3 or 4 books and try to transition my students to outside repertoire as soon as possible. It really depends on the age of the student when choosing a method.

I like a "no frills" approach and so do my students. They would prefer fun and familiar songs that make practicing easier over dancing frogs and other silly pictures.

Good luck to you!

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

M
M
Yes, PA tends to move a bit slow, but then those that are capable just take on more pieces at a time and progress faster. I had one boy who really wanted to stay in Hal Leonard through Book 4 for some reason. I usually move them out at 3. He was very shy and I think he liked familiarity. Ever since he's been out into repertoire books, however, he is cruising and really enjoying it!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Jennifer,

Don't know if anyone's welcomed you or not, but if not, let me be the first, and if someone's already done so, just let me add my welcome anyway.

As you're down "south" in California, I'm wondering if you know Keith Snell at all or if your paths cross. Who's your publisher?

Hi Jennifer,

Don't know if anyone's welcomed you or not, but if not, let me be the first, and if someone's already done so, just let me add my welcome anyway.

As you're down "south" in California, I'm wondering if you know Keith Snell at all or if your paths cross. Who's your publisher?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in Orange County, been teaching full time for 15 yrs, and currently finishing my MA in Musicology.

I self-published my Piano Pronto series a couple years ago which has it's good and bad sides. Both Alfred's and Mel Bay were interested in the project but then the economy took the big slide and that was that. I am currently in limbo with another publisher working on a "composer specific" series which should be released in the fall.

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Keith Snell actually lives in central California.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Help us out here, where exactly is Central CA? From where I sit (on my piano bench), all of California looks pretty much south. Thanks.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Help us out here, where exactly is Central CA? From where I sit (on my piano bench), all of California looks pretty much south. Thanks.

Ha. cool

Central California goes from Bakersfield to Fresno.

I don't think Keith Snell is in California, unless he moved here recently.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Unless you're 'Central Coast' California.... Pismo Beach - San Luis Obispo - Paso Robles - Monterey.

Keith's website says he splits his time between New Mexico and England.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
He lives about 20 miles from me. Just moved here a few months ago.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission