2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jxclark Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have been teaching piano full time for about 2 years now at a local music store and am ready to make the leap to running a studio out of my house. I have everything I need: a good room, a piano, materials, teaching experience, a website. Everything except students! grin

Obviously I have to get my name out there and advertise, but I'm not sure what the most effective means are (print ads, mailings, door-to-door, etc.). I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Personally I always did best passing out flyers door-to-door in neighborhoods. You can print them at home (or an office store) and then target neighborhoods in close range, go early in the morning, and drop them on the doorstep. Here in CA it's illegal to put anything in a mailbox and I imagine this is true in most states.

The nice thing about this type of advertising is it's cheap and you control your teaching radius. Good luck!

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Jxclark. smile Another idea is to talk to the staff at local elementary schools. Depending on the school's policies, you may be allowed to distribute flyers to the students there to take home. (In my school system, you have to go through some hoops in terms of getting the central school district office to approve it first, and you have to include fine print at the bottom to the effect that the school system doesn't endorse individual services or companies, and the like.)

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I found taking out four weeks of ads in a local free newspaper, delivered to all homes in the local area, worked well.

Also, as you have a website, try getting listed in a local web business directory. A quick Google search, should find one local to you. Sometimes, such listings are free. Then, when someone types in: "Piano teacher (your area)", your website will be listed.

After a while, you should find that 'word of mouth' recommendations, will fill your available spaces.

Rob
I have used Craigslist with some success. Currently I am taking only referrals from good clients. Like attracts like!

M. Katchur
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by trillingadventurer
I have used Craigslist with some success. Currently I am taking only referrals from good clients. Like attracts like!

I never got anything but a load of [Linked Image] from Craigslist!!!

I keep business cards at all the local schools, that and referrals are all I have ever needed.

You can pay for ads on the back of grocery store receipts too.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I do a lot of advertising. Here's what works for me:

Yellow Page listing - some cities allow home businesses to have a listing in the Yellow Pages for a MUCH cheaper rate than if you were a retail location with a business line. I have a 2" column listing (similar to a display ad but it's right where the alphabetical listings are located) and I pay $50 per month. That same ad using a business phone number would be 3x that amount.

Family-type publications - they are usually published once a month, so their shelf life is much longer than the daily paper. I pay $38 monthly for a 2x2 ad.

Direct Mail - you can purchase a very specialized mailing list of let's say 'homeowners with children ages 6-10' in certain zip codes. I much prefer mailing a nice brochure than going door-to-door passing out fliers.

Community papers - if you're having a studio recital, particularly if you're using a church or other public facility, call your paper up and request they do a small story on it, maybe featuring one or two exceptional students. A great way to promote yourself.

MTNA Membership - join a professional music teachers organization. They usually have a teacher-referral person who funnels students to whoever has openings. Our local branch is listed in the phone book and we are always getting calls for lessons. Most of our teacher-members have full studios.

If you do any kind of print advertising, just remember that a person has to see something at least 5x before they'll respond with a phone call.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild

I would second Monica's advice, but not limit myself to elementary schools - middle and high schools are more likely to have a full-time music faculty, who probably field the most questions from interested parents.

you could also make flyers to post in areas where families congregate (places or worship, community centers, ymca's etc...)

i would absolutely create a website, even if it's really bare bones - so if someone googles piano+roswell your page appears (unless they're looking for the score of close encounters of the 3rd kind)

you could also make yourself known to more established teachers. if someone has a full book, they may be willing to refer potential students your way

good luck

will

The posts are coming from inside the house! Repeat, the posts are coming from inside the house!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I have found the best advertising to be word-of-mouth referrals. Print up some business cards and tell every person you know about what you are doing. Send emails to everyone in your address book. Get the word out if you haven't done so already. Tell people you already do business with: hairdresser/barber, teachers, doctors/chiropractors, real estate agent/landlord, everyone you are in contact with.

Piano Teacher
M
M
Last year when I decided to increase the number of students, I had a yard sign made with my telephone number. This worked amazingly well for me and easily removed when I filled the spots.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

M
M
Another idea for getting your name out there. Every year a local private school hosts a large auction. I donate three months of piano tuition. It has been very good advertising as an auction book is distributed to the community members. It has always sold for more than its value and some people bid on it to make the donation without intentions of taking the lessons. For the others who take the free lessons, they always contiue after the lessons have expired. There are many of these kinds of auctions in our area, Domestic Violence shelter, CASA, Arts Council.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Ditto the website idea! I am the only teacher in my music teachers branch who has a website (and it received 2nd place in a statewide competition for studio websites).

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
M
Here are some ideas which are from my blog which have worked for me or other teachers I know:

http://clariniano.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/marketting-tips-for-private-music-teachers/

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Things have no doubt changed a lot since I used to do any advertising. As others have said, once you get going most of your business will come by word of mouth (which is free!).

I had most success with ads placed in local free papers and also the Yellow pages. Another good source was the local sheet music store who kept a list of local teachers. Sadly they have since closed down and have become online only.

I imagine most people looking for a piano teacher nowadays would search on the internet so a website will be essential. You could also try searching for piano teachers yourself and see what comes up in your area. There are quite a few piano related sites which have links to for teachers, dealers, movers, technicians etc. Plenty of them will allow you to list your contact details free of charge.

Pianist and piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Targeted "advertising" works best for me, and I get inquiries off my website several times a month.

I target the students I want by cultivating a good relationship with the catholic school down the road. I donate to their auctions and keep a good relationship with the music teacher.

Also, the choirmasters at our church are a good source of referrals.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
I started teaching over 20 years ago, and business has steadily grown to 50 students per week now during school year months.

Most of my students come from word-of-mouth referrals, although I am registered with a local piano sales store. I see, although I've never tried it, that sheet music/instrument stores will have flyers with a telephone number tear-off at the bottom.

If you are known at the elementary school, it helps as well.

Good luck!

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
J
Jxclark Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm going to try the door-to-door flyer thing to start off. Fortunately I know a number of teachers since my wife is one so I think targeting the closest elementary schools is a good idea, too. Appreciate the help!

John

M
M
My plan to attract students is to put a sign in my front yard. (The neighbor across the street has a sign in her front yard "Day Care" + Phone # and has about 6 children daily.) I haven't yet settled on a title, but I've narrowed it to two-- pianolessonsongrand.info or pianostudioongrand.info. This would link to my website (still in the planning stage) which would provide all the information including fees, approach, benefits, links, etc. There hasn't been a piano teacher in my neighborhood for about 20 years despite the fact that there are a lot of children. My hope is to first get students from the neighborhood. A website eliminates the repetition that would be required from answering phone calls as all the information would be included on the website. I plan to offer a free "get acquainted" session. At present I've been getting my house ready-- fresh paint, guest bathroom remodeled, and exterior work.

Mike in Illinois

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission