2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's a hoot! I don't believe he has a mean bone in his body. He is the definition of gentleness.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Believe it or not, tennis teachers are commanding well over $100 per hour--it all depends on what you are looking for, and how well you know and respect the teacher you are seeking their advice from. It has always been a personal decision, and some teachers say what they need to in 5 minutes, others in 5 days. That is something each student needs to explore on their own and ask those who have studied with the person they are considering. What I loved about Adele Marcus is that she nailed the problems quickly and fixed them. That is my credo. I can tell in two measures what is going on--even online.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Same with Golf pros.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have colleagues charging MUCH more than $100 or $125--I think those who want to have some lessons with people like myself, should check around and see what other teachers are charging. You will be quite surprised. I've heard of as much as $750--indeed. I would never do such a thing.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeffrey also freely gives tips and advice here on PW in the Pianist's Corner and on his Blog and website.

Surely a teacher/performer who enjoys music and what he is doing.

Thanks Jeffrey!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JBiegel
======SNIP===== When I studied with Adele Marcus, she charged $65, then $75, and when I was at Juilliard, in 1980s, her private fee was $125.====SNIP====
I tried to find a fee that is acceptable for my level in the industry, and came up with the comparable rate, if not lower. I am always open to people studying with me sporadically, for whatever reasons. Everyone comes with a different reason and purpose for their lessons. The Skype fee is considered worldwide acceptable for what I offer.

Hey Jeff - Please don't apologize for your rates! I don't know your work personally, but from what I've read about you, the accolades I've seen, considering your pianistic pedigree, your performing career and teaching expertise, your time is worth at LEAST $125/hr.

Consider this: According to WikiAnswers, In 2007, $1.00 from 1980 is worth:

$2.52 using the Consumer Price Index
$2.22 using the GDP deflator
$3.07 using the value of consumer bundle
$2.43 using the unskilled wage
$3.74 using the nominal GDP per capita
$4.95 using the relative share of GDP

Using those numbers, if you were charging what Adele charged you, ***adjusted for inflation***, you should be charging somewhere between $350 and $400 an hour to be compensated at the same rate!

Bottom line - you're worth it.
=====================================================
Regarding the OP's original question - what makes a (great) teacher worth the money, at least in my opinion, is a combination of things: how they play the piano (influenced in great part by their "pedigree", i.e., those with whom they have studied), their ability and experience as performers (though it can be argued that one can be a great teacher without being a great performer), and most important, how effective they are as a teacher FOR YOU - something I believe can only be determined by a trial lesson.
==================================================
And a final thought on fees and pricing: In my own case I have a set of "usual and customary rates" for my services as an accompanist, coach, teacher or performer. But I also have an "exception policy" where I will offer scholarships, discounted fees, deferred fees, or even work "pro bono" depending on a particular set of circumstances. I'd do what I need to do to pay for a least a single session full price before broaching any issues of financial need with a teacher; it's more respectful that way. But if you've got the passion, the need and the talent, you might be surprised how many people would be willing to meet you part way on the financial thing.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Well all of you sound like "hobby teachers" to me. I just read an ad from Ontario Canada. We are just not real teachers here in the U.S. This teacher in Canada is charging $500. an hour over the phone for a lesson. Where have we gone wrong? And those of us that can't teach one lesson and have the student understand and play the piano in that hour are only "hobby teachers". If you want the teacher to come to you, he/she will come to you for 5- 2 hour lessons for only $8,000.00 Such a deal. Of course you must practice 8 hours a day while taking, to make the lessons of the most benefit. How anyone has 10 hours a day to devote to the lesson and practice time both, I haven't quite figured out yet, but then what do I know, my lessons haven't reached the $500 mark yet. Just thought all you teachers out there might need something to strive for, why think $100 when you can think $500? Hope you enjoyed reading about this ad as much as I did. From one "hobby teacher" to another.

Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I sense an underlying murmur of disapproval for teachers receiving $100 per hour or more. I wonder how many have calculated what a classroom teacher or college professor receives per teaching hour, say an individual with 20 or more years of experience. Note, not what they get paid per hour of work, but per hour of teaching. Obviously, these are generally group lesson situations, so the cost is shared by many.
No murmuring here, that's a perfecly acceptable price for a good teacher. It's just the Skype thing - how ever good the intentions, I can't see the student getting their money's worth.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
If you have a really good video set up, both ways, and microphones are set up so that the sound is reasonably good, the big disadvantage I see to not "being there" is that you can't guide anything physically.

It's also very hard to see, either way, from a variety of angles.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lilylady,

I don't think it's uncommon at all. And yes, I think it's based on accomplishments. It's usually the best tool to measure someone's talent, his accomplishments.

So if the teacher has taught in a prestigious school of music for 20 years, and performed either with celebrities, or he is a celebrity on his own, then you can expect to pay big bucks. Because he's showing both skills in teaching and performing. And usually students seek them out rather than the other way around.

It would often be non-recurring lessons. Just a matter of getting on one's calendar. For example, Oscar Peterson used to teach private lessons. Many people would easily blow a couple thousand for an hour with him.

As for the "Skype thing", it's hard to figure the "money's worth" part of the equation, because it's only music after all. But I do the "Skype thing", and I really like it. I used to drive miles to get to a variety of teachers, in the middle of the week because I have kids keeping me busy nights & weekends. That time is time I do not charge to my own client, and I charge a lot.
So cost wise, the drive alone gets me my money back, probably 6 times over.
Having said that, I also enjoy the lessons a lot. But I do not consider myself a total beginner, we don't do finger position, posture and all that. Also, it's jazz, so it's a lot of theory, talk, analysis.
My son wanted to do it with her cello teacher who left town, but that would absolutely not work.
For piano students doing non-classical music, it's quite good.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Keyboardklutz and Gary--I can see your point--especially if you have teachers who are not quite equipped to understand how to fix things physically--look it, if a good teacher can see and fix problems in the flesh, they should be able to do it over Skype. I used to have great phone lessons with Adele Marcus, and have given many too. You just have to do your research and make sure the teacher is good no matter what. If you know what you're doing, you know what you're doing. I'm certainly not defending myself as a teacher, but in the future, more teachers will do this. Technology moves on and we move with it. But with this, we must know what we are dealing with. Do your research.

There are a million and one things that need doing to ensure an effortless technique. Lesson after lesson some students never get it. Interpretation you could certainly manage over the net but the rest?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
In the You Tube video demo of Skype teaching, I helped Matt with the thirds in the LH of Beethoven Opus 10, no. 3. I would feel very comfortable fixing technical challenges in the same way. I taught a Singaporean pianist online how to do the diminished seventh stretching exercises, as well as to Matt and his teacher. Be it in a studio or online, anything can be taught if it is done correctly. The apparatus changes, but the lesson remains the same.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
As a Skype user, I find the recent posts interesting.
It is relatively easy to use multiple cameras with Skype.
I use two, for guitar lessons, so that I can focus on each hand (by switching between the two). Together with a little remote control for zooming, pretty well all aspects can be covered.

Once the initial feeling of the Skype experience being a relatively hi-tech way of communicating, has worn off, it is more like teaching someone with a pane of glass between teacher and student.

It takes a little while to get used to, and for both parties to feel at ease, but a valuable tool, nonetheless.

Edited to add:
I would have no hesitation, in paying the going rate for advanced tuition, or instuction in a particular technique, using Skype, or any other method.

Last edited by R0B; 07/15/09 10:25 AM.

Rob
Be it in a studio or online, anything can be taught if it is done correctly. The apparatus changes, but the lesson remains the same.
Sorry, no way I can go with that one.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You don't know until you try.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't know until you try.

kbk, how about giving it a try with me?! ...once I've discovered what 'Skype' is, of course! smile

Michael
Jeffrey, would you ever deal with beginners? In the physical part of instruction you would need not only see the person, but different angles, and perhaps have them see you too? I've been told of masterclasses that involved a sophisticated set of cameras operated over a distance by remote control. The teacher could swivel or zoom the camera in the students' classroom, while the same could be done with the camera at the teacher's premises. The screen would have picture-in-picture (which Skype also gives). But if you have only a videocam, then you have it fixed at one angle and distance. I imagine that for beginners you'd have to see the person from head to toe and for them to do likewise (?)

Last edited by keystring; 07/16/09 07:50 AM.
I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing that Skype would work well for older beginners. For children, however, distance learning hasn't proven particularly successful - it's difficult to keep them engaged without a physical presence.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If the webcam is situated to see you sit at the piano where I can see your posture, hand position etc, it is best. In my humble opinion, playing around with the cameras and zooming etc, is a time taker, and I don't need to zoom in on anything to see what I need to see and fix what needs to be fixed. I believe the attention should not be on the cameras, the zooming or the technology. It should be treated as though it is a regular lesson, using the technology to make it happen. No ribbons and bows, just keep it simple. When you start zooming and doing things that focus on the video, it takes away from the flow of the lesson. It should seem as though there is no Skype, no webcam etc. Just headphones and a laptop with Skype. Yes, I could teach a beginner this way.

Last edited by JBiegel; 07/16/09 08:17 AM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission