Last night, I attended a concert given by Cristofouri, a group of four pianists, at the Turner Center For The Arts in Valdosta, Ga. All four have "day jobs" and play together "for fun." They give occasional performances; the last one was at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Ga. in March 2009.

The members of the group are: Ed Barr, Michael Braz, Jerry Gowen and Jerry Roberson. As a group, they have well over 200 years of piano experience. Individually, they have written, directed, performed before audiences (both here and abroad,) recorded, taught, and received recognitions for their many accomplishments. They do their own arrangements for the numbers they perform.

The concert contained a mix of music. At the risk of another laundry list, here's the list: "The Star Spangled Banner," "Spanish Eyes," a Johnny Mercer medly, "Manha De Carnaval," a Tribute to Emma Kelly, a patriotic medley, a medley of boogie and rock songs, "Sweet Georgia Brown," "Nola," and a Beatles medley. Toward the end of the concert, the audience was given the chance to try to "stump the piano player." The encore was "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. There were four solo performances: "Georgia on my mind," "Memories" from Cats, "Bunny" by Shorty Rogers, and a Peter Nero variation on "I've Got Rhythm. (For those of you who don't know, Emma Kelly was known as "the lady of a thousand songs" and was a local fixture in Savannah for decades. I don't think anyone ever stumped her. She could play anything!)

Bottom line: I had a great time! The whole evening was fun! The mix of music offered something for everyone and was well arranged and played. I don't think I was alone in this opinion. I want more!

Charles

PS - I almost forgot the pianos. There were two Kawais, a Yamaha and a Mason & Hamlin. The Mason was a BB1. I don't know the models of the others. They were smaller. CT

Last edited by ChasT; 07/14/09 05:05 PM.