2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1225510 07/01/09 09:55 AM
M
OP Offline
M
hi,

just registered in this forum, and I wish to thanks everybody to help in finding the right answers to almost every my "piano" questions.

I'm a adult piano player for fun only, no need particular skill, so good experience only chords some arpeggios played reading tabs (just like a rythm guitarist do).
During the last three months I drive my attention to a deeper technical approach and I studied more theory and played at least one hour at day.

My big problem is my difficulty to give different orders to my hands with good coordination, like Blues for example, the left hand play a solid rythm while the right a good solo.

Could someone please help in find the right way to develope this skill without hire a human teacher.

thanks

P.S. I hope to well explained my problem with a non native language.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

My teacher always told me to practice very slowly to get the coordination down. Then once you get it you can play it up to speed. I found this to be very helpful.

Also, I found it took less time to get the coordination down by doing it slowly first than if I tried to play at speed.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
D
D
Work up each hand speed individually (hands separate), to the point where you can play them faster than the normal tempo. But make sure that you are thinking the notes for the other hand while doing hands separate.

Then you can combine hands, and as Kymber said go very deliberately at first. If you go to fast then you will end up practicing in mistakes.

The other thing that I've found for me, is that I can't ever get the hands to function independently. Instead, I have to treat both hands as a unit. That is, I'm sending a single mental command down to both hands, similar to how you would play a cord in just one hand (that is, I treat both clefs as if I'm playing a two-handed chord). Whereas others seem to be able to put one hand on auto-pilot while concentrating on the other hand.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Friend, I have exactly the same problem with blues. No problems with others kinds of playing. With blues, I trip up every time. wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
continuing with DerekP's advice...after you've mastered your LH through Hands separate practice, start distracting it with your RH. Maybe play only one note...then two...then vary the notes...then vary the time. Then read a book. Then talk to your family. Then watch TV. All while your left hand is cranking out the same pattern.

It takes awhile for the subconcious to take over so I wouldn't do it for hours a day. Just make it part of regular practice.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I record one hand, then play it back while accompanying with other hand. I played accordion as a kid, so my right hand is more advanced than my left. So I always record the right hand part and practice playing the left while playing back the right. Then I immediately play both hands together and it seems much easier to combine the two. I do this for relatively short sections of a piece, maybe 2 or 3 lines.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
OP Offline
M
thanks everybody,
in fact day by day exercise lead to a good progression, I need more and more practice before an approach to Blues.

So it's better to finish my Adult course book before.

If you're right handed, your right hand will be stronger than your left. So what you need to do is work on exercises that will strengthen your left hand. Hanon has a lot of exercises that work the right and left hand simultaneously, but you can do those exercises just with the left hand, which will give you a lot of flexibility. Also, I'm working on Czerny's 24 studies for the left hand -- where the left hand carries the melody. It's really helped with the coordination of both hands.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission