Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (astrotoy, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, AprilE, camperbc, BeeZee4, Animisha, accordeur, 12 invisible), 3,722 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motivate #1229187
07/09/09 11:15 PM
07/09/09 11:15 PM
Los Angeles
MrsCamels Offline OP
MrsCamels  Offline OP

Los Angeles
What do you all do to motivate your students? Anything besides "good job"
??????????

Teaching since 2004
Private studio owner since 2008
www.ecsorota.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Motivate [Re: MrsCamels] #1229209
07/09/09 11:52 PM
07/09/09 11:52 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
What, you mean your students aren't highly self-motivated? grin

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Motivate [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1229265
07/10/09 01:54 AM
07/10/09 01:54 AM
London, UK (though if it's Aug...
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keyboardklutz  Offline

London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Chocolate. At the moment I'm handing out 'Summer Santas' from the 99p shop.

snobbyish, yet maybe helpful.
http://keyboardclass.blogspot.com/

Re: Motivate [Re: keyboardklutz] #1229340
07/10/09 07:39 AM
07/10/09 07:39 AM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
I give kids their choice of a music bookmark, or a mechanical pencil. Sometimes I change things a bit, but they really like the pencils! Right now there are a lot of "Hanna Montana" and "High Sshool Musical" ones available. I also have some bug and army ones for the boys. Every time they reach the staples in the middle of the book, or the end of a book, they get to pick one.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Re: Motivate [Re: Ebony and Ivory] #1229507
07/10/09 12:40 PM
07/10/09 12:40 PM
California
D
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dumdumdiddle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

California
Weekly stickers for practicing

'Treasure Box' that they can occasionally choose from (stocked with either stuff from Oriental Trading Co. or candy/goodies)

Composer statuettes

New book bag (every 3-4 years I give them a new one at the beginning of the year)

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Re: Motivate [Re: dumdumdiddle] #1229539
07/10/09 01:33 PM
07/10/09 01:33 PM
San Diego
trillingadventurer Offline
trillingadventurer  Offline

San Diego
Marbles. I thought about letting them "buy" things when they have collected enough but I haven't gotten that organized yet.

M. Katchur
Re: Motivate [Re: trillingadventurer] #1229584
07/10/09 02:28 PM
07/10/09 02:28 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Online happy
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation...

I never buy anything for my students. I don't believe in extrinsic motivation, unless you count trophies for winning competitions or certificates for passing a music test. For me, the best motivation is when students know they are playing well because they have worked hard to reach that level.

On the other hand, I am not against parents' buying interesting music books for their kids. If the kid wants to play High School Musical, then by all means buy the book. They will soon discover how difficult it is to play all that syncopated rhythm--my goodness, even I had a hard time counting through some of those songs, extremely complicated rhythm.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Motivate [Re: AZNpiano] #1229826
07/10/09 11:16 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
I don't think anything motivates a student more than hearing, from a teacher:

"You did a great job. I'm proud of you." Everything else is secondary. But the praise has to be genuine, based on playing that is either quite good or shows noticeable inprovement.

Piano Teacher
Re: Motivate [Re: AZNpiano] #1229828
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I'm with you, AZN. I used to buy things, and once in a while I'll give them a pencil or something for Valentine's day. I found that giving stickers and awards based on how many stickers they earned, etc. was just too much work with hardly the effort. The ones who always got the stickers would have done it anyway, and the ones who didn't, didn't seem to be motivated by such things.

The biggest motivator I have is the piano. They are there to take lessons, and presumably, to get better at playing. Sometimes a child need a pep talk when they're in a slump. Sometimes it's just giving extra complements (that are earned, of course). These seem to really help some kids.

Others need a tougher approach. Those that aren't really motivated to practice, I'll ask them if I asked their friends to list some things that the student enjoys doing the most, would they list piano as one of them? They can only consider themselves pianists if they actually play. Sometimes this reality check really gets them going - it worked for me! I talk to them about practicing every day, even if it's 1 minute, it's better than 0 minutes. Usually, they come in the next week with nothing less than 5 minutes, but I sometimes see a 1 minute day here and there. I congratulate them on their success, because even that one minute meant they took the time to *think* about piano. Plus, usually those one-minute ones are their scale which they normally don't practice at all laugh.

Last edited by Morodiene; 07/10/09 11:17 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Motivate [Re: Gary D.] #1229836
07/10/09 11:38 PM
07/10/09 11:38 PM
northern California
B
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

northern California
Originally Posted by Gary D.

"You did a great job. I'm proud of you." Everything else is secondary. But the praise has to be genuine, based on playing that is either quite good or shows noticeable inprovement.

I agree that the praise has to be genuine. I also think it's extremely important that the student is proud of himself. He's not doing it to please me, or mom and dad, etc. The student has got to become self-motivated and feel the pride within himself, or at least the satisfaction of a job well done. The kid has to "own it", that's my goal towards getting them to be self-motivated.

Piano Teacher
Re: Motivate [Re: Barb860] #1229893
07/11/09 03:12 AM
07/11/09 03:12 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
By far, the best motivators are performances. People work best when they have something to work towards.

Everybody likes treats - candy, toys, and other tokens, but while treats are nice, there's nothing better than a job well done.

And while the "job" is often a performance, it need not be. You can also involve students in various projects - recordings, compositions, or artwork.

I also think motivation is more of a long-term thing. Short-term things like practicing and studying are more a matter of habit than motivation. I don't know anybody who's genuinely excited about practicing every time they do it - both amateur and professional.

Giving praise is a matter of being polite and honest, and it can help promote an atmosphere in which someone enjoys lessons, but I've never found that praise helps form good habits. I know plenty of teachers who handle praise very well, yet their students don't perform well because they don't have good practice habits. I also know teachers who are very stern and stoic, but whose students are very, very good because they do have good practice habits.

I say this because I have noticed a belief among educators that motivation is what causes good practice and study habits. But all of my experience as a teacher says otherwise. Students' practice and study habits are more a matter of discipline than anything.

Think of it in terms of eating habits. If motivation were the key to good eating and exercise habits, then everybody on the planet would eat smart and be in good shape. The motivation is there for all of us - good eating and exercise habits make you feel better and look better.

And yet despite that very strong motivation (who doesn't want to look good and feel good about themselves?), there are a lot of people who lack energy and weigh 250lbs. Why? Discipline! Does it help to have Richard Simmons or Billy Blanks urging you on? Of course it does, but until you discipline yourself to eat right and exercise - even when you don't want to - you're not going to get the job done.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: Motivate [Re: Kreisler] #1229913
07/11/09 05:07 AM
07/11/09 05:07 AM
New York
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Andromaque  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

New York
Kreisler,
Very well said, and in my opinion, very true.
However the challenge is how do you foster / teach self-discipline to a young person or -even worse- a teenager or even okder person?

Re: Motivate [Re: Andromaque] #1229963
07/11/09 09:02 AM
07/11/09 09:02 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
I think discipline isn't something that's taught. It seems to be more a matter of atmosphere, and that's why the parents are so important. If the parents provide a structured environment and are themselves disciplined, then it tends to infect their children. When I look back at all the people I've taught, the ones who did best were the ones who could tell me what time of day they practiced - it's a part of their daily routine.

The poorer students are the ones who have not made practice a part of their routine. Practice becomes something they "just didn't have time for" - an excuse I don't believe in. Nobody is running around weighing 80 lbs looking malnourished because they "just didn't have time" to eat.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: Motivate [Re: Gary D.] #1229965
07/11/09 09:05 AM
07/11/09 09:05 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted by Gary D.

+1

And Kreisler made some really salient points as well. Short term vs long term motivation?

An interesting footnote - at the student recital, one of my 10th graders brought along a cheering section. He didn't do this out of self-promotion, they were several classmates, both male and female, including his lady love, whom he wanted to share his music with, but when he finished his Chopin Nocturne, the 3 girls went bonkers.

Do you think this might have motivated my other teenage boys? If you don't, how do you explain their sudden assault on the practice piano?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Re: Motivate [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1230419
07/12/09 01:32 PM
07/12/09 01:32 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Very true, Kreisler. And John, I think your exmaple is one of short-term motivation. It may spur those boys to practice for a time, but unless something else is driving them or they realize something in the process of trying to impress the girls, it will die out.

One thing I've noticed among the students who excel is that they want it badly enough. Badly enough to sacrifice going out with friends for an hour, or playing xbox, etc. It is a matter of discipline, yes, but also one of priorities and overcoming obstacles to the goal. Perseverance is needed for this.

Maybe we can make the "3 Ps" of piano study: Practice (discipline), Priorities, and Perseverance. (perhaps these have been named by someone before and I just didn't know it, but they seem to fit nicely).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Motivate [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1230421
07/12/09 01:36 PM
07/12/09 01:36 PM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
but when he finished his Chopin Nocturne, the 3 girls went bonkers.

Do you think this might have motivated my other teenage boys? If you don't, how do you explain their sudden assault on the practice piano?

So are you saying that we should "invest" in some pretty girls to go bonkers at the recitals?

Sure couldn't hurt wink

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Re: Motivate [Re: Morodiene] #1230516
07/12/09 05:14 PM
07/12/09 05:14 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Very true, Kreisler. And John, I think your exmaple is one of short-term motivation. It may spur those boys to practice for a time, but unless something else is driving them or they realize something in the process of trying to impress the girls, it will die out.

One thing I've noticed among the students who excel is that they want it badly enough. Badly enough to sacrifice going out with friends for an hour, or playing xbox, etc. It is a matter of discipline, yes, but also one of priorities and overcoming obstacles to the goal. Perseverance is needed for this.

Maybe we can make the "3 Ps" of piano study: Practice (discipline), Priorities, and Perseverance. (perhaps these have been named by someone before and I just didn't know it, but they seem to fit nicely).

You don't understand men, do you! grin

Re: Motivate [Re: Andromaque] #1230571
07/12/09 07:02 PM
07/12/09 07:02 PM
northern California
B
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

northern California
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Kreisler,
Very well said, and in my opinion, very true.
However the challenge is how do you foster / teach self-discipline to a young person or -even worse- a teenager or even okder person?

assuming you mean an "older" person smile
I think self-discipline is not taught. It is learned as a result of doing a "discipline" such as studying piano.

Piano Teacher
Re: Motivate [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1230706
07/13/09 12:14 AM
07/13/09 12:14 AM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

An interesting footnote - at the student recital, one of my 10th graders brought along a cheering section. He didn't do this out of self-promotion, they were several classmates, both male and female, including his lady love, whom he wanted to share his music with, but when he finished his Chopin Nocturne, the 3 girls went bonkers.

There is no higher motivation for teenaged boys than hormones.

But even the younger ones crave attention from others and want to be "cool". smile

Piano Teacher
Re: Motivate [Re: Gary D.] #1230707
07/13/09 12:15 AM
07/13/09 12:15 AM
New York
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Andromaque  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

New York
What about motivation in teenage girls???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Master's Audition-- Beethoven Op 79, 'Cuckoo'?
by winterflower. 10/19/19 11:29 PM
Baldwin: The End of an Era!
by Retsacnal. 10/19/19 09:46 PM
CAREFUL when performing in China!!
by Norbert. 10/19/19 08:37 PM
Music Theory Posters
by jandz. 10/19/19 06:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,619
Posts2,881,111
Members94,716
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission