2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When I teach I am sometimes crotched below the student looking up (not sure why), sometimes playing a hand for them, sometimes having them stood up doing physical exercises, sometimes clapping together or just singing along. You can do all this?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I tell students to count out looud, subdivide, sing as they play to create the long line and maintain better rhythm from the inside out. The things you mention can be done in a studio, but I wouldn't necessarily have to do those things in a Skype lesson. The challenge in a Skype lesson is that the teacher isn't on top of the student clapping or singing or banging out the rhythm. Rather, the student feels compelled to be a better student and be 'on the ball' and have the best possible rhythm simply because the teacher is not there to instill the rhythm from the 'outside in'. I typically teach pianists on the highest level, but teaching via Skype can be equally rewarding on any level. After a minute or two, there is a sense of being in the same room, and there is no separation.

Originally Posted by JBiegel
The challenge in a Skype lesson is that the teacher isn't on top of the student clapping or singing or banging out the rhythm. Rather, the student feels compelled to be a better student and be 'on the ball' and have the best possible rhythm simply because the teacher is not there to instill the rhythm from the 'outside in'.
Oh dear, in other words limited interaction.

And the student seeing you?

Not limited, just different. Some teachers are more physical than others, and some are content - and just as effective - sitting in a chair a few feet away.

It also depends on the student. Some need a physical connection with the teacher and find a hands-on approach very enlightning. Others would rather not be touched and prefer to listen and observe first, then try themselves.

Jeffrey obviously feels he can be an effective teacher without having a physical presence, while kbk feels he can be most effective with a more "hands-on" approach.

In other words, it has little to do with Skype, and much more to do with the individual students' and teachers' learning and teaching styles.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
So, Jeff sits in a chair a few feet away when he teaches?

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with Kreisler, it depends on the students perception.

I took a mini lesson from Jeffrey myself and did not find any problem with it being done via Skype. Matt and Sam were both happy with their lessons, expressing a desire to continue.

If you already have your mind made up it won't work, it probably isn't for you.

BTW, the following is from a CD I received from Sam in Singapore (it came in while I was traveling). It shows the students perspective pretty well...

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Very impressive. As I said earlier, it may do for interpretation.

Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
So, Jeff sits in a chair a few feet away when he teaches?

I don't know about Jeff, but many teachers do. And a great many people learn a great deal in masterclasses, where they don't have any direct communication with the teacher at all and simply observe from 10-25 feet away.

In a lot of ways, a Skype lesson is like watching yourself have a masterclass with Jeffrey Biegel.

By the way - if you're out there listening, Jeff - I had a great idea for you. You should do a presentation on your Sonatina books. Find a studio teacher who has several students working on the sonatina literature - have the kids raise $250 and do a Skype-masterclass where you teach, discuss, and demonstrate some of the literature in the collection you edited. I think the kids would really enjoy meeting the editor of their book, and it'd be a good way to make some connections around the country. (I might pitch the idea to our local association at their August meeting - maybe the nearby music store could host it. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll see what I can do to gauge interest around here...)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Great idea, Kreisler--feel free to propose that--I would be happy to do so!
Thanks for posting Sam's video--I will be interested to see it!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hey--video with Sam is nice. He improved greatly during the Skype session. As you can see, I say the same things via Skype as I do in lessons in the same room. The concepts don't change--just the medium with which we transcend these traditions of teaching. Don't you think Chopin would be happy?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
For my part, my reaction is very strong, I don't like this video at all. I find it strange.

Rostropovich tells the story of when he met Casals. Casals took him into a bedroom and sat down with his cello resting between Rostropovich's feet. And he played the first Bach suite, one line at a time, looking straight into Rostropovich's eyes and examining every reaction. Imagine how strong a cello is, at such an intimate distance. The vibrations passing into your feet, every time Casals --- eh, Casals! -- comes back to that G and grinds it out.

You might ask: where did I hear this story. Rostropovich didn't tell this to me, it's on a video. A video? Ah, that serves to teach something then.

To me, it teaches that if you want to really learn something about your instrument, find your Casals and get real, real close.

In this video, it is clear that the teacher is good, and that he transmits something to the student.

But he can't transmit that vibration.

I have no doubt, however, that there will only be more teaching done in this fashion.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Find a studio teacher who has several students working on the sonatina literature - have the kids raise $250 and do a Skype-masterclass where you teach, discuss, and demonstrate some of the literature in the collection you edited.

I don't like that idea at all.

But if you're passing near Andorra, Jeffrey Biegel, and you want to stop by and pass an afternoon with my daughter or with a group of piano students, I'll make it possible.

Last edited by landorrano; 07/16/09 04:47 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
where is Andorra?
PS--if you had heard Sam when he first played the Ballade, you would see and hear the transformation--he did a wonderful job from the earliest part of that lesson.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
--keep in mind--this teaching is for those who are on a very high level of playing and know to whom they want to bring these pieces to get them on the performance level--not really for kids--JB

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
For Mac heads out there, you can also use ichat with your built in isight cams right out of the box. It even supports having multiple participants (up to 4 iirc).

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Andorra is where Charlemagne stopped off to buy cheap cigarettes and alcohol after driving out the Moors.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
That's a cute story! Yes, indeed--I will stop by to coach your daughter. But bear in mind, I can teach her via Skype if the plane ticket is too costly and she is preparing for some big events.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Plane ticket? There's no airport here!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hope you have a great teacher there, otherwise, you're stuck with me and Skype, my friend.

Last edited by JBiegel; 07/16/09 05:19 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission