Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1179443 - 04/13/09 06:35 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: babama]  
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member
kennychaffin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aurora, CO
Originally Posted by babama
Great taste Key Notes, it just so happens to be the Good, the Bad & the Ugly is my favorite movie of all time. smile
Also loved the music from Last of the Mohicans.

Here's a great ambient track from two of my favorite artists in electronic music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTvSoC5YfU&fmt=18

I love Steve Roach and Richard Bone

Especially Richard Bone's Vesperia, but I can't find a you-tube of it so here's one much in line with the above:

you can listen to samples of Vesperia (part 2 is my personal favorite movement) at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vesperia-Vespers-Congregational-Holliston-Massachusetts/dp/B000F6YXES

Last edited by kennychaffin; 04/13/09 06:38 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1179746 - 04/13/09 05:12 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
Religious or not is "How Beautiful" one of the most beautiful songs you've ever heard?

How beautiful is it? Judge for yourself. Here it is (with some great piano acccompaniment) sung by the composer, Twilla Paris:

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
#1180130 - 04/14/09 09:31 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted by kennychaffin

Especially Richard Bone's Vesperia,

Man I love this thread. heart I'm listening to "Vesperia" right now on Rhapsody, and it is just sublime. Reminds me a lot of James Asher's "The Great Wheel." Thanks for introducing me to him!

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#1180153 - 04/14/09 10:11 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Monica K.]  
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member
kennychaffin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aurora, CO
Originally Posted by Monica K.

Especially Richard Bone's Vesperia,

Man I love this thread. heart I'm listening to "Vesperia" right now on Rhapsody, and it is just sublime. Reminds me a lot of James Asher's "The Great Wheel." Thanks for introducing me to him!

You're more than welcome, Monica!

Enjoy!

Kenny A. Chaffin
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1180421 - 04/14/09 05:50 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
Ejay Offline
Ejay  Offline

U.K.

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
Maya Angelou

[Linked Image]
#1180587 - 04/14/09 11:38 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Monica K.]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by noxiousdog
If someone can post Nightwish, I can post Within Temptation.

Their Black Symphony DVD is one of the finest musical performances I have ever witnessed, live or recorded. It is symphonic metal like Nightwish, but they did a live concert backed by an orchestra.

Hand of Sorrow

In 15 years of knowing my wife, she has exactly once asked for a copy of my music. It was Black Symphony.

I just have to say that, thanks to this forum, both I and my daughter have become huge fans of progressive metal music. crazy Within Temptation is probably my favorite group in this genre, but Nightwish is right up there, along with Epica and some Lacuna Coil. I just love Nightwish's cover of "Walking in the Air":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWPduHl_j8&feature=related

The cool thing is that I was wasting time the other day and looking at all these groups' websites, and I discovered that Nightwish is playing in Louisville, of all places, in just a couple of weeks!!! I promptly ordered two tickets. (When hubby heard that it was being held at a smallish nightclub, general admission, NO seats available, which thus meant standing the whole time in a crowd of screaming progressive metal fans, he oddly decided to stay home with the 9 year old. Sheesh.)

That is soooo cool Monika. Enjoy and please let us know how it goes.

Perhaps you can sneak in a couple of folding lawn chairs, complete with drink holders of course, and you guys are all set. wink

Music speaks where words fails.
#1180592 - 04/14/09 11:43 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Key Notes]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
JF, Interesting version of Moonlight Serenade, I enjoyed it. smile

#1180624 - 04/15/09 01:17 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Key Notes]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
1weekPlayer,

Thanks for sharing some of your favorites. I've never seen Mario Frangoulis's rendition of Hijo de La Luna before, very nice. And I've seen Arthur Hanlon's video before and while I didn't care for the visuals, I did absolutely loved his piano performance of the piece.

And although I'm not too fond of the lyrics of Cruz de navajas, I did enjoyed both the smooth singing voice and rhythms of that song and Me Cuesta tanto olvidarte quite a lot.

Thanks again for sharing. Below is one of my favorite singer, Nana Mouskouri, singing Aranjuez mon amour by Joaquin Rodrigo, which of course has also been sung many times in Spanish.

Lyrics in French:

Mon amour, sur l'eau des fontaines, mon amour
Ou le vent les amènent, mon amour
Le soir tombé, qu'on voit flotté
Des pétales de roses

Mon amour et des murs se gercent mon amour
Au soleil au vent à l'averse et aux années qui vont passant
Depuis le matin de mai qu'ils sont venus
Et quand chantant, soudain ils ont écrit sur les murs du bout de leur fusil
De bien étranges choses

Mon amour, le rosier suit les traces, mon amour
Sur le mur et enlace, mon amour
Leurs noms gravés et chaque été
D'un beau rouge sont les roses

Mon amour, sèche les fontaines, mon amour
Au soleil au vent de la plaine et aux années qui vont passant
Depuis le matin de mai qu'il sont venus
La fleur au cœur, les pieds nus, le pas lent
Et les yeux éclairés d'un étrange sourire

Et sur ce mur lorsque le soir descend
On croirait voir des taches de sang
Ce ne sont que des roses !
Aranjuez, mon amour

And in English:

My love, water fountains, my love
Or bring the wind, my love
The evening fell, we see float
Rose petals

My love and my walls chaps my love
Sun, wind and rain in the years that are passing
Since the morning of May they came
When singing, they suddenly wrote on the walls of the end of their rifle
Of strange things

My love, the rose following the footsteps, my love
On the wall and enlace, my love
Their names were engraved, and each
A beautiful red roses

My love, the fountains dry, my love
Sun, wind of the plain and the years that are passing
Since the morning of May he came
The flower in the heart, bare feet, the slow pace
And eyes lit by a strange smile

And on the wall when the night falls
You would think seeing blood stains
These are just roses!
Aranjuez, my love

And another one of my favorite guitarist, Paco de Lucía, performing Concierto De Aranjuez.

Enjoy,

Key Notes smile

Last edited by Key Notes; 04/15/09 01:44 AM.

#1181141 - 04/15/09 07:14 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Key Notes]  
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level

Santa Fe, NM
Ejay - thanks for the music. I knew who Rick Thum was because I subscribe to Dulcimer News, but I had never heard him. But that's my kind of music. A friend of mine built a dulcimer for me that he strung with harpsichord wire. I haven't played it in ages because I just don't have time for piano and that, too, but people love it when I do. Thanks again -

And here's my contribution - Black and White Rag, but certainly not as I played it in the ABF recital!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChCgqlXlyU&feature=related

and these are the same folks, but a less rowdy tune. The trip here is GI Jive - the dancers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrRkWWtJ0M&feature=related

Cathy

Cathy
Practice what you suck at - anonymous
#1181146 - 04/15/09 07:33 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: jotur]  
Ejay Offline
Ejay  Offline

U.K.
I'm afraid my dulcimer is taking a back seat right now too..literally.. its behind the sofa, so my bairn can't reach it, and it is too noisy to play when she naps. I also don't have the time to tune it right now, its a 16/15 handmade for me by Tim Manning of Music Magic.

One day when my kids get older I will go on a tour of dulcimer festivals to meet and learn from the many talented players across the globe :), perhaps by then, my piano playing will be good enough to play jigs and reels too!!

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
Maya Angelou

[Linked Image]
#1181151 - 04/15/09 07:35 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: Ejay]  
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by Ejay
One day when my kids get older I will go on a tour of dulcimer festivals to meet and learn from the many talented players across the globe

All the ads in Dulcimer News make my tongue hang out laugh

Cathy

Cathy
#1181215 - 04/15/09 10:30 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: noxiousdog]  
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TX-Dennis  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Texas
Originally Posted by noxiousdog
If someone can post Nightwish, I can post Within Temptation.

Their Black Symphony DVD is one of the finest musical performances I have ever witnessed, live or recorded. It is symphonic metal like Nightwish, but they did a live concert backed by an orchestra.

Hand of Sorrow

In 15 years of knowing my wife, she has exactly once asked for a copy of my music. It was Black Symphony.

This is new to me. I like it a great deal. It is soemwhat reminiscent of classic Fleetwood Mac. Thanks!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

#1181237 - 04/15/09 11:12 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: jotur]  
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TX-Dennis  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Texas
Originally Posted by jotur
Ejay - thanks for the music. I knew who Rick Thum was because I subscribe to Dulcimer News, but I had never heard him. But that's my kind of music. A friend of mine built a dulcimer for me that he strung with harpsichord wire. I haven't played it in ages because I just don't have time for piano and that, too, but people love it when I do. Thanks again -

And here's my contribution - Black and White Rag, but certainly not as I played it in the ABF recital!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChCgqlXlyU&feature=related

and these are the same folks, but a less rowdy tune. The trip here is GI Jive - the dancers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrRkWWtJ0M&feature=related

Cathy

Nice. It's like Asleep at the Wheel light. laugh I love Asleep at the Wheel. They perform here about once a year, and it is always a delight.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

#1181980 - 04/16/09 11:38 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: TX-Dennis]  
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
Nice. It's like Asleep at the Wheel light. laugh I love Asleep at the Wheel. They perform here about once a year, and it is always a delight.

I like Asleep at the Wheel, too. I have a honky tonk piano video from Home Spun Tapes done by Tim Alexander, who played piano with them on a couple of their albums.

Cathy

Cathy
#1182429 - 04/17/09 04:28 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member
babama  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Netherlands
Great taste Key Notes, it just so happens to be the Good, the Bad & the Ugly is my favorite movie of all time. smile
Also loved the music from Last of the Mohicans.

Here's a great ambient track from two of my favorite artists in electronic music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTvSoC5YfU&fmt=18

Especially Richard Bone's Vesperia, but I can't find a you-tube of it so here's one much in line with the above:

you can listen to samples of Vesperia (part 2 is my personal favorite movement) at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Vesperia-Vespers-Congregational-Holliston-Massachusetts/dp/B000F6YXES

Very nice. If you like this kind of music you should definately check out the classic 'Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding' if you can find it.
It's without a doubt my all time favorite electronic album (even though Steve Roach is my favorite artist).

#1182437 - 04/17/09 04:36 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: babama]  
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member
kennychaffin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aurora, CO

Very nice. If you like this kind of music you should definately check out the classic 'Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding' if you can find it.
It's without a doubt my all time favorite electronic album (even though Steve Roach is my favorite artist).

Hmmmm, you must mean this ($70-100) cd smile :

http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Unf...-Unfolding-Michael-Stearns/dp/B00000E89C

Kenny A. Chaffin
#1182442 - 04/17/09 04:43 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member
babama  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Netherlands
yes,

http://www.groove.nl/cd/2/20648.html
nice shop for electronic music, they have it in stock apparently

but believe me, even the price you mentioned will be worth it once you're listening to it through headphones with eyes closed for the first time smile

Last edited by babama; 04/17/09 04:43 PM.
#1182454 - 04/17/09 04:53 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: babama]  
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member
kennychaffin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aurora, CO
yes,

but believe me, even the price you mentioned will be worth it once you're listening to it through headphones with eyes closed for the first time smile

I think the title of the second track is worth the price of admission:

2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!

grin

Kenny A. Chaffin
#1183970 - 04/20/09 08:32 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: TrapperJohn]  
PeggySue Offline
PeggySue  Offline

Harrisburg, PA
Originally Posted by John Frank
Religious or not is "How Beautiful" one of the most beautiful songs you've ever heard?

How beautiful is it? Judge for yourself. Here it is (with some great piano acccompaniment) sung by the composer, Twilla Paris:

Regards, JF

An absolutely gorgeous piece of music JF, and an excellent video to accompany it. Thanks for bringing this beautiful work to our attention!

PS

When you are aspiring to the highest place it is honorable to reach the second or third rank. Cicero
#1184978 - 04/21/09 11:21 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: PeggySue]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Thanks everyone for sharing some of the most unique, interesting and beautiful music. It's always so nice to be able to discover the new while enjoying the old. smile

Babama,

How can we go wrong with John Denver and one of my most respected and revered idol of the sea and his crew. I admired Jack Cousteau and his organizations so much so that I even made and illustration project out of them for a class project way back when I was still in school. While I love my work and current career, it has always been and will continued to be my dream job to be able to dive and work along sides these people on such fabulously interesting projects.

Jotur,

What a fantastic sounding band the Swing Commanders are, and I definitley love the dance performance of GI Jive. I've only had a couple of Jive and Lindy Hop lessons in the past but wow, it was so much fun and certainly required a lot of cardiovascular staminas. Comparatively similar to perhaps high-impact step aroebics exercises, except with a lot more interesting dance step patterns.

Thanks again everyone for sharing.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

#1185971 - 04/23/09 03:34 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member
babama  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Netherlands
yes,

I think the title of the second track is worth the price of admission:

2) Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!

grin

smile if you already like ambient, steve roach etc. I'm positive that listening to this album for the first few times, preferably in bed, eyes closed, with headphones, could be the musical experience of a lifetime... even classical music can't compete with this in certain ways
I wish I could erase my memory and discover it again, it's that great... not that I still can't enjoy it very much

Last edited by babama; 04/23/09 03:37 PM.
#1185983 - 04/23/09 03:44 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: babama]  
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member
kennychaffin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aurora, CO
Thanks babama, I think you are right. Excellent work.

Kenny A. Chaffin
#1226679 - 07/03/09 02:00 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: kennychaffin]  
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member
babama  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Netherlands

Just thought I'd share this particularly gorgeous piece from Vangelis that was excluded from his famous Blade Runner score.
It definately shows how much a warm instrument the synthesizer can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYoatCg5ds&fmt=18

Enjoy!

#1227015 - 07/04/09 12:36 PM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: babama]  
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
Here's one of the very best singers ever with a beautiful, but sad, Italian love song with photo clips from the great classic film "Casablanca" (zeroing in on Ingrid, with the gorgeous eyes you could drown in ...):

]

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
#1227594 - 07/06/09 12:00 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: TrapperJohn]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Hi babama,

Very nice sound track and accompanying visuals. Two of my favorites, Harrison Ford and the movie Blade Runner. I didn't know that this piece was excluded. Thanks for sharing.

If I remembered correctly, you also enjoyed some Western theme songs, so here's one more for you, "Apache".

And a nice and cute keyboard version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jsHVRX4LgE&feature=related

Enjoy,

Key Notes smile

#1227596 - 07/06/09 12:10 AM Re: Slightly OT: A few of our favorite pieces [Re: TrapperJohn]  
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally Posted by John Frank
Here's one of the very best singers ever with a beautiful, but sad, Italian love song with photo clips from the great classic film "Casablanca" (zeroing in on Ingrid, with the gorgeous eyes you could drown in ...):

]

Regards, JF

Thanks JF. smile I see what you mean... wink I can definitely drown in Vic Damone's voice as well. blush

And here's another classic one for you. Enjoy!

Key Notes smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission