2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 109 of 136 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roxane

On the subject of piano benches, why don't adjustable benches ever come with storage compartments like those flip-top non-adjustable Yamaha benches? They could make a very slim drawer at the base of the bench or something. I have no more space to store new music books! mad

On the other hand, if my adjustable bench looks like the one Digitus has, I think I wouldn't complain about the lack of storage on my bench. Btw, the buttons on my bench collect fluff... exactly like belly-button, er, "fluff"!

Roxane, if you remember my piano bench does have storage. It's that open compartment at the back, a magazine rack kind of thing. But I never use it because having music scores stacked in there spoils the visual aesthetics. Heheh.

Actually why don't you do what I do and get a tall narrow (50cm) bookshelf and put it within reach of the piano bench.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chihuahua
On the subject of piano benches, why don't adjustable benches ever come with storage compartments like those flip-top non-adjustable Yamaha benches? They could make a very slim drawer at the base of the bench or something. I have no more space to store new music books! mad

On the other hand, if my adjustable bench looks like the one Digitus has, I think I wouldn't complain about the lack of storage on my bench. Btw, the buttons on my bench collect fluff... exactly like belly-button, er, "fluff"! whome

Collect fluff?

Then you need to buy your first(?) pour-piano portable/handy vacuum cleaner laugh

You mean your chihuahua sit on your piano bench meh? What fluff? Or is it fur?

Digitus got 5 star piano bench from Salty Piano (or is it Salted Piano?). So 5 star bench lor. 7 foot Oh-My-Gah(men) must be eye-popping-ly impressive, even Gah-men do not buy such Salted pianos.

Why didnt Robert give your 5 star piano a 5 star bench ... but hor, I haven't seen adjustable bench with secret compartment leh ...

I had to pay for my piano bench (a Sauter 'Unico'). It costs $$ but I reckoned with a piano that looks like that it would be a shame to not have an equally sexy looking bench. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fj_s
Hello!

Here's my situation - I'm a reasonably advanced pianist who is "re-picking up" the piano after minimal practice for the past 11 years. (Studying overseas, work, etc)

I currently own a 28-year old Yamaha U1 which is still in good shape. The tone's not as even, and the touch isn't as good as it used to be. But it's usable, and was my first piano after all. smile

The problem is that I stay in a small apartment. And let's face it, the standard repertoire isn't always pleasant sounding when practiced repeatedly. Also, I find that my tonal production has gotten considerably worse after practicing for a few months with the muffler pedals.

I have two options:

a. Buy a silent piano. Currently unfortunately only the Yamaha U-1 and Kawai K3/K5 are available in silent. I was hoping to get a better piano than my current one. (Oddly enough, do other people feel like the U-1 has gotten slightly worse? Or is it just because the one at the showroom is less 'seasoned' than the one at home?)

b. Buy a portable keyboard. I don't have space for a digital piano. I tried the P-85, and I have concerns about the touch and tone (not sensitive enough, and too light). But it does cost a lot less. The pro of this is that the savings will eventually go towards say an RX2-AT if I ever get a bigger place. Needless to say, I have piano envy after trying out my friends' grand pianos. (It's much easier to play repeated notes)

Comments on the two options? Are there other silent piano options that I have missed out? Keyboard options? Are there also places that sell used silent pianos? (I would love to have some of the silent pianos in Yamaha's European lineup for example, e.g. SU series silent) Also, Bohemia's website say they will install quiet time on their pianos if asked, but the local dealers don't seem to carry the silent version.

Your option b is a non-starter for someone with your skill level. However if you still want to explore that option then the best DP that I have been able to find is the Roland HP-207. It has the same footprint as an upright so your space constraints are addressed.

As for those darned showroom pianos, I'll bet you its because they are rarely, if ever, prepped nor tuned properly.

J
J
Originally Posted by jijiboy
Originally Posted by jijiboy
Originally Posted by snoopycar
hi jently try this link

hi jijiboy
what price range and brands are you looking for?
new or 2nd hand?

My max budge would be $7000. I saw on the internet that a Young Chang baby grand was selling at only $3000. Wanted to get it, but was sold frown

I am also looking for 2nd hand baby grand.

pls refer to above ^^

also, how much can a 6 years old Young Chang U 131 N go for?

HiHi please help me on the above 2 topics. Thanks!

F
F
Thanks for the advice.

To clarify, for the digital keyboard option, I would keep my U1, and have the portable keyboard for practice during weekday nights after work... Roland's a good suggestion - their stage pianos seem to be very well received. Will check out the Roland. smile

Actually there's a good chance I may keep the U1 unless I can find a silent piano that has a significantly better action. smile

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
Originally Posted by snoopycar
wah... just now 10pm went to jurong west eat cat mountain king durian and 1 bitter red prawn. CMK is best, $18 for 1 little spiky, but seed is very thin, worth it. I recommand all to try laugh
no need paisay, eat beside hawker centre .. hehe
[Linked Image]

chihwahwa, your slogan line is very interesting.
you study military history a lot huh?

Durian? WaaaAAAaaahhhhHHH!!! I like ...

Snoopycar, can PM me? What is CMK?.

Eh ... when the old SAFTI MI library was still around, did read some lah, but now old reservist still have to go back camp. My reservist AGAIN just begun ... sigh ... but nebermind, got durian king to eat ... heheheh ...

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
J
J
Hiaz, still cant find my ideal piano. so sad. any recommendation?

Hi snoopy

The one you recommended me, no response leh. have you heard of music clef, are they reliable?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

na
J
J
Hi Everyone
Any comment on weinberg? selling at $1000.00 11 years old upright piano/ isit overprice?

na
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
reporting.... just to share with you all durian lovers. some finds it pungent frown

Today i buay tahan go jb carrefour there to find liulian...
findings result was 1 good 1kg XO RM30 is shiok enough laugh

CMK is cat mountain king lah. but heard it is going off season, durian man recommend XO lor

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

yumyum ........

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
^^^ snoopycar, did you hurt your finger on durian thorn?

Sorry, leh, I hate durians sick

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jently
Hiaz, still cant find my ideal piano. so sad. any recommendation?

Hi snoopy

The one you recommended me, no response leh. have you heard of music clef, are they reliable?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

is it a weinberg 121 hieght?
$1000 plus delivery n free tuning is reasonable.
Just that i hunch is it may need a little bit of work.
I came across 1 that's over mellow, and some that's too bright. Just need some hammer voicing work.

Yah, sometime i sms sellers from class ads about others item, also no response, maybe sold.
As for a good U1, you can consider mine. can email me?

music clef, don't know leh, sorry haven't been there.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Digitus
Roxane, if you remember my piano bench does have storage. It's that open compartment at the back, a magazine rack kind of thing. But I never use it because having music scores stacked in there spoils the visual aesthetics. Heheh.

Actually why don't you do what I do and get a tall narrow (50cm) bookshelf and put it within reach of the piano bench.

I didn't realize your piano bench comes with storage – I need to pay more attention next time! But even if you did store music in the open compartment, it would get dusty. I did get a narrow bookcase from Ikea and stuck it in a corner within reach of where I sit at my piano, but it is already full, and another cheap bookshelf would spoil the aesthetics of the room whome

J
J
Hi Snoopy

I have pm you already

na
Y
Y
Hi,

I'm new to forum, as well as piano.
Well, I have to admit that I did not do enough homework, before buying my very first piano. But that's the catch, people usually joining club after they bought something, isn't it?

I spent only a few days, sourcing around the net, and eventually found a shop selling used piano. I'm getting it because my daughter need to take exam, and the clavinova doesn't seems to meet her requirement. I don't think I have a very good deal, as the piano is very old, but I don't think that's very bad either, since that meet my requirement.

I really wish to get to read this earlier, so at least I have more to consider. But anyway, I always enjoy surfing forum as that allow me to learn many new things from you guys.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Look at the bright side. I don't think you lose anything, 2500 is quite a good price for some warranty after sales service. better that buying from an unknown seller.

Why i think its ok because of the relativity thinky.
Buy low price, save upfront cash. even if you sell it later, say worst case, $1200, you just loose rental and some delivery, free tuning charges. you have a spare 2500 in the bank.

Imagine you bought a newer piano say 15yrs at $5000 and sell it later, same thing if you sold at $3700.

So relax. you bought old, but piano is in good condition, don't stress. In contrast, you could have bought old, and inside messy moldy .....

smile a bit leh

After a while you won't think so much.

i declare i have no connection with the shop say so much positive words laugh

Y
Y
Thanks snoopycar for brighten. smile

When I decided to buy that piano, partly because seeing the condition is good base on my limited knowledge, partly also because I feel the seller is honors. However after knowing the real age of that piano, start to think he is just a businessman.

Anyway, you are right that I won't think about it after a while.

Now my focus is mainly to understand more about piano, build up knowledge, due to interest as well as helps if I need to get a 2nd piano in future.

By the way, are many shops in Singapore selling gray market piano?

Last edited by yannh; 07/02/09 12:09 AM.
F
F
This evaluation is relative to a Yamaha U1. I have played a new-ish Weinberg 6 foot 3 grand before. It's made in Korea I believe. It's a decent piano (very good for its price), nice deep bass. Treble's slightly weak and has a tendency to be overwhelmed, but within control. The touch is very heavy. It strikes me as more European in feel than say like your usual Kawai/Yamaha.

Of course, your mileage may vary given it's an upright, and older.

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
^^^ snoopycar, did you hurt your finger on durian thorn?

Sorry, leh, I hate durians sick

hate durian??
i just think you haven't learn how to luv 'em yet laugh
pungent aroma ..... ah... oh .... creamy... bitter sweet...

give it a try, even some ang mo's also enjoy eating the king of fruits .. hehehe

after eating, must drink something cooling like jiajia liang teh ok?

well, no i was poke by the liulian kuck. i was voicing a hammer when the needle broke and the tool head cut my thumb just behind the thumb nail. i was in a shock for a moment(black out for a few sec) i thought i can't play piano anymore frown thank God it wasn't the needle injuring my thumb. its healing now, phew.

T
T
Hi ppl,

I had been to a few places to check out some used pianos.
Namely, I had my heart captivated by one of the Kawai BS2A.
At first I was skeptic by what could a Kawai piano do as compared to a Yamaha U1/U3 or whatever.
But surprise surprise~ I actually preferred the mellow sound coming from the BS2A over the bright tone from the Yamahas.
And I love the touch too~
A much more solid and heavy feel to the keys.
The calling price for the Kawai BS2A is ard 3.7k
May I know if the price is ok? It's ard 15 yrs old.
I couldn't find much information regarding the piano.
I can only say I like the tone and touch of the piano so far.

I was also shown to a Kawai KU-3D at one of the used piano shops.
The tone is ok. I was coded ard 3.1k for it, along with a new adjustable chair on top of the usual package. I was told the age of the piano is ard 20 years. I went back and did some research on the model. To my horror, I found out that this specific series is made ard the 1970s, which will make the piano near to 40 years old!! Can anyone verify this? So is the shop lying to me about it's age? =(
It's sad because this piano is so near my budget and it sounds decent enough. If the normal lifespan of a normal mass production piano is ard 50 years, it will only have another 10yrs to follow? (Is this rumor true anyway?)

If nothing works out, I am considering to rent a piano at home to practise. Any lobang? =X

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
aiyo.... what like dat (>_<)

I know why, because pianos are like girls
also lie about real age ....

There are some shops that tell the truth about the real age of the piano they sell. But newer ones are generally more expensive.

Basically, i think buying piano are like picking durians.
Pay more for XO,D101, cat mountain king, sure good, pow ho one.

At the same time, i, like many others, also go for the 50c $1 durian to tigum tigum, sometime kenna good ones - khor one.

Age of a piano is very contravosy thing.
I believe after 10 yrs, the piano sound begins to bloom, or open up. 15~25yrs are quite decent, if not overly used
If it's kept in a clean enviroment, no reason to rule them out.

Pianos are not like cars, 6~7 yrs ppl scared to buy already, scare spare parts expensive.

hehe, on the lighter side, i think shop dare not tell the real age because they know customers are not ready to accept the truth.

To shop boss, he thinks, 35 yrs old, still good sound, decent condition, can sell to specific student at resonalble pice. At least can last for 20yrs more.

To customer, wah leow aaAAaaa.... 35yrs leow, older than myself, how many yrs more can it last, must be a con job .... hehehe

whos right, whos wrong?

Page 109 of 136 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission